Status
Not open for further replies.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Isn't that a question that Ford has to anticipate will be answered in the affirmative? I can see a round or two of study putting a temporary hold on release to the public unless they've already gone through whatever scenarios might either directly or indirectly reduce demand for hybrids and such and have a greenlight under those as well.

Norm
Absolutely, it happens multiple times as part of the stage gate process to bring something to market. My point is that this analysis is based on assumptions and while yes it would have already gotten the green light based on these assumptions and insights, it won't be until actual sales start that they will see how correct their insights and assumptions were.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
And[/] the Lexus has a 10-speed auto. Amazing how similar the specs are to the new Mustang!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Not normally a fan of Lexus but that thing is beautiful. Price tag will likely change that.
The stance is nice, but the front-end is still a jumbled mess of angles to me...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.motor1.com/news/137773/infiniti-renault-f1-q60-concept/

"Electrification is provided by separate motor generator units capable of storing the energy from braking and exhaust gas heat — that would otherwise be lost — in a lithium-ion battery pack. It’s then deployed to power the crankshaft as well as the turbo compressor to give the concept more oomph."

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
http://www.motor1.com/news/137773/infiniti-renault-f1-q60-concept/

"Electrification is provided by separate motor generator units capable of storing the energy from braking and exhaust gas heat — that would otherwise be lost — in a lithium-ion battery pack. It’s then deployed to power the crankshaft as well as the turbo compressor to give the concept more oomph."
Good read, I like this paragraph too:

"Based on the Q60 Red Sport 400, the concept uses a biturbo 3.0-liter V6 engine developing 400 horsepower (298 kilowatts) like it does in the regular model. In this application, the combustion engine works together with an electric motor to boost output to somewhere in the region of 500 hp (373 kW)."

I doubt Ford would go that far in R&D, which could easily drive up the cost. My best bet is (copy/paste) the hybrid tech from the Fusion and call it a day.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.

"Based on the Q60 Red Sport 400, the concept uses a biturbo 3.0-liter V6 engine developing 400 horsepower (298 kilowatts) like it does in the regular model. In this application, the combustion engine works together with an electric motor to boost output to somewhere in the region of 500 hp (373 kW)."

I doubt Ford would go that far in R&D, which could easily drive up the cost. My best bet is (copy/paste) the hybrid tech from the Fusion and call it a day.
This tech is not that cutting edge. Reclaiming power from braking has been in use for quite some time now.

I would be shocked if Ford wasn't pushing the bounds of this tech. 20 years from now I imagine 90% of vehicles sold will be EV.

Its a win win putting money into this. It helps build a foundation for their EV vehicles, and the hybrids help hit CAFE targets.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself

It is 100% not the recycled system from the fusion. It will be a standalone purpose built system for the mustang

Sponsored
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Quote from source...
"engine coupled with electric will produce blistering torque!"

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
This tech is not that cutting edge. Reclaiming power from braking has been in use for quite some time now.

I would be shocked if Ford wasn't pushing the bounds of this tech. 20 years from now I imagine 90% of vehicles sold will be EV.

Its a win win putting money into this. It helps build a foundation for their EV vehicles, and the hybrids help hit CAFE targets.
The cutting edge part is the fact they get power from exhaust and coupe a motor directly to the crank a la F! tech. Thats the portion I think he was referring to.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Quote from source...
"engine coupled with electric will produce blistering torque!"
So how compatible with a manual transmission (or even a DSG) is that going to be?

Norm

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Manual transmissions are dying a slow death.
Hybrid technology and the desire for increased efficiency would only seem to hasten their demise.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Manual transmissions are dying a slow death.
Hybrid technology and the desire for increased efficiency would only seem to hasten their demise.
Electric production vehicles that are out now don't have gears to shift. All of them are a single speed (single speed step down transmission in the case of a Tesla Model). So a manual transmission really isn't feasible. Even if it was feasible, an electric vehicle's torque curve would break most traditional transmissions. Hold on to your manual now, I'll give the manual about 10 more years before it's only in a select few supercars.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.