Mustang GT vs. Mustang GT PP1 suspension drop

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
But it also became readily apparent that the comp damping on the rear shocks is ridiculously too high - bumps were not being properly absorbed.
This is true. The FRPP Track dampers have a decent bit lower compression damping but a good deal higher rebound. They're what the car needs. The fronts are nowhere near as bad and can be used with a variety of springs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Why? They need to go, especially the rears.

The BMR minimum drop springs are nearly identical in rate to the PP1 springs. Don't bother.

I threw an extra 160lbs into the trunk of my '19 PP1 (2 sets of 15" rotors, a set of rears) and the handling improved believe it or not. It wasn't all peaches though - side-to-side chassis rock at the rear definitely increased as would be expected. Instead of the rear launching/kicking upward on decent bumps I now got a decently hard thump and much reduced hop. But it also became readily apparent that the comp damping on the rear shocks is ridiculously too high - bumps were not being properly absorbed. We already know the rebound valving on these is woefully inadequate. If the comp valving isn't also way off, my money is on the Nitrogen PSI being much too high.

Drop a pair of 45lb weights (dumbell or plate) into the wheel well and try it out yourself.
Well i dont Drag my car and i was trying to save some money.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
@markbehr - If you're going to do any suspension mods at all, do it right. Suspension is not the element to cheap out on. A very easy method with be simply to do GT350 springs and FP dampers. It's a tried and true combination and a big upgrade I might add. I wouldn't do springs without dampers or dampers without springs. I just don't see getting a lot of benefit of going through the trouble and only changing one.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
In the interest of changing just one thing and keeping costs in check, I would install a pair of https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...pension-single-rear-service-shock-p-7439.html (M-18001-AS) and see if that solved the problem to your satisfaction. If not, then I would replace springs at 4 corners with the GT350 items which increases spring rate by 20% over PP1.

If I can't service/rebuild the PP1 shocks when I move them over to my '17 V6, I will be doing the pair of M-18001-AS at minimum.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How do i know which GT350 springs to look for? Also would they lower my stock 19 PP1 car any?

Sponsored

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
the problem is i want to lower the car around an inch but i need to do it under a budget right now.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you're going to need to define said "budget". Short answer, sounds like you should forget about making changes till you find some money. Or troll the for-sale suspension threads to see if you can score some used lowering springs from someone exchanging for something else.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
you're going to need to define said "budget". Short answer, sounds like you should forget about making changes till you find some money. Or troll the for-sale suspension threads to see if you can score some used lowering springs from someone exchanging for something else.
:thumbsup:

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

Its not the part price im worried about. Its the added price of 500 Plus that im going to need to install all the parts. If i had a garage i would do it myself

Sponsored

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
In the interest of changing just one thing and keeping costs in check, I would install a pair of https://www.levittownfordparts.com/...pension-single-rear-service-shock-p-7439.html (M-18001-AS) and see if that solved the problem to your satisfaction. If not, then I would replace springs at 4 corners with the GT350 items which increases spring rate by 20% over PP1.

If I can't service/rebuild the PP1 shocks when I move them over to my '17 V6, I will be doing the pair of M-18001-AS at minimum.

What the part number for the front FP struts?

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How do you all feel about the setup of BMR minimum drop and Ford Track dampers?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BMR minimum are ~same rate as PP1. Their front springs will lower the front by 0.875" supposedly and do nothing to change ride height at the rear. If lowering is a "must have" then buy the front BMR min drop springs, mate them up to the PP1 front shocks. At the rear, recycle the PP1 springs and combine with the FP Track shocks (or Steeda adjust) or if you gotta have 0.5" worth of rear drop, get the BMR "performance" rear springs which are also ~same as PP1 rate.

There's a sticky post on the suspension section that links to a Google Docs spreadsheet with all/most of the spring options out there with rate and drop information. That way you can do your own "what-if".

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
BMR minimum are ~same rate as PP1. Their front springs will lower the front by 0.875" supposedly and do nothing to change ride height at the rear. If lowering is a "must have" then buy the front BMR min drop springs, mate them up to the PP1 front shocks. At the rear, recycle the PP1 springs and combine with the FP Track shocks (or Steeda adjust) or if you gotta have 0.5" worth of rear drop, get the BMR "performance" rear springs which are also ~same as PP1 rate.

There's a sticky post on the suspension section that links to a Google Docs spreadsheet with all/most of the spring options out there with rate and drop information. That way you can do your own "what-if".

This suspension crap is way to complicated for someone clueless like me. Just going to stick with the stock crap and deal with the gap.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
This suspension crap is way to complicated for someone clueless like me. Just going to stick with the stock crap and deal with the gap.
If/when you change your mind, give a call to the vendors here on Mustang6g for advice. You can take the stress out of the process and will likely only have to choose between brands and how much you want to spend.
Sponsored