Mustang GT vs. Mustang GT PP1 suspension drop

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Need help. How much of a difference in the drop is there between the two when installing lowering springs. I want to lower my 19 PP1. I also want to keep the car level. I dont want it too low where i would need camber plates either. looking for linear springs.
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Need help. How much of a difference in the drop is there between the two when installing lowering springs. I want to lower my 19 PP1. I also want to keep the car level. I dont want it too low where i would need camber plates either. looking for linear springs.
There won't be a difference in drop in the end, as you'll be replacing the ride-height-dictating component: the springs. On first gen S550s the PP1 appeared to sit just a tad lower in the front than the base model (maybe 1/8").

If you want level and not-too-low, get minimum drop lowering springs (Steeda/BMR) or Ford GT350/350R springs. All of these options are linear, and they also increase spring rate so new shocks and struts are recommended.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
There won't be a difference in drop in the end, as you'll be replacing the ride-height-dictating component: the springs. On first gen S550s the PP1 appeared to sit just a tad lower in the front than the base model (maybe 1/8").

If you want level and not-too-low, get minimum drop lowering springs (Steeda/BMR) or Ford GT350/350R springs. All of these options are linear, and they also increase spring rate so new shocks and struts are recommended.
Ok cool. thanks for your reply. i was looking at the bmr minimal drop

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
what do yo all recommend? Steeda or BMR? I think BMR is a little lower drop.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Think it would depends on how “firm” (I’m sure I’m using the wrong word) you want your ride to be. I don’t know the spring rates off the top of my head but that would be a deciding factor I would think and also what dampers you decide to go with

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Why do you want to lower it? What are you looking to do with the car? This will factor into your overall decision.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Think it would depends on how “firm” (I’m sure I’m using the wrong word) you want your ride to be. I don’t know the spring rates off the top of my head but that would be a deciding factor I would think and also what dampers you decide to go with
I dont mind the firmness. Ill be keeping the stock 19 PP1 dampers

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
reduce body roll. firmer ride around corners. Im afraid to go too low.
I like your rationale. Not going too low is smart for several reasons. For handling purposes definitely you don't want to lower it that much. I assume you are going for mostly street driving?

I would recommend GT350R springs and GT350/Ford Performance track dampers. If you want to go a slight bit lower, and switch out the dual-rate rear spring for a full linear one, I'd recommend BMR SP083.

The ride will be very firm, but controlled. And your handling will be considerably more competent & predictable.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I like your rationale. Not going too low is smart for several reasons. For handling purposes definitely you don't want to lower it that much. I assume you are going for mostly street driving?

I would recommend GT350R springs and GT350/Ford Performance track dampers. If you want to go a slight bit lower, and switch out the dual-rate rear spring for a full linear one, I'd recommend BMR SP083.

The ride will be very firm, but controlled. And your handling will be considerably more competent & predictable.

yea ill be mostly street driving. Wont be tracking my car. I just love driving around on twisty country backroads.

Sponsored
OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

On those BMR SP083 springs would camber plates be needed?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
On those BMR SP083 springs would camber plates be needed?
No. I'd recommend it but not necessary. You could use camber bolts. BMR sells those too.

I'd add that I don't think the BMR minimum drop springs will improve your handling to what you want. The spring rates are roughly the same as the PP springs and due to the lowered ride height, you'll want a higher rate spring to counteract the body roll from the small change in geometry. You want a handling spring. My recommendation of the GT350R springs still stands. The BMR SP083 springs are a little firmer still. You could go with either but I think the GT350R springs would do you right.

OP
OP
markbehr

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
No. I'd recommend it but not necessary. You could use camber bolts. BMR sells those too.

I'd add that I don't think the BMR minimum drop springs will improve your handling to what you want. The spring rates are roughly the same as the PP springs and due to the lowered ride height, you'll want a higher rate spring to counteract the body roll from the small change in geometry. You want a handling spring. My recommendation of the GT350R springs still stands. The BMR SP083 springs are a little firmer still. You could go with either but I think the GT350R springs would do you right.

These?
https://lmr.com/item/EIB-10350290622/mustang-gt350-eibach-pro-kit-springs-15-18

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra