Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
GT. Can't really imagine moving to the Ecoboost from the Boss 302 would be satisfying. Just passed on the LE yesterday, instead I'm going to wait for the SVT models before deciding between them (it?) and the GT Premium.
Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
for me it was either the v8 or nothing.....I was waiting along time for ford to finally bring back the famous or infamous (if you were a camaro guy back in the early 90's) 5.0 and they did....wow what an engine.

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
I suspect the EB will be great for 99% of the people out there.
Those who claim to need the 5.0 probably never use their whole engine, it is more of a "emotional" thing for them.

Also, the OP is wrong, the EB will have more TQ than a 5.0 until near 3krpms, not 2k..
I dont always race my car but when I do, I use the whole engine lol, you never know when that camaro or whatever decides to test your manhood in an adolescent way.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I suspect the EB will be great for 99% of the people out there.
Those who claim to need the 5.0 probably never use their whole engine, it is more of a "emotional" thing for them.

Also, the OP is wrong, the EB will have more TQ than a 5.0 until near 3krpms, not 2k..
An emotional thing? That is funny. I know I use the whole engine I buy, which are V8's. I use it many times a month and sometimes many times a day. Just depends. No emotional thing for me. I am sure that goes the same for the other V8 owners.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Buying a Mustang is always an emotional decision regardless of the engine. There are many more practical vehicles available.

Sponsored

rtk

Threads
Reaction score
Agreed that buying a Mustang is an emotional decision - but practicality sets in after the purchase. Hopefully the Ecoboost will be able to spool up quickly and linearly. While turbos help to make boost, it's the lag and the power spike that makes it more challenging than the linear power delivery of a normally aspirated V8.

FWIW, I've owned a Mustang SVO for the last 28 years, and my current commuter is a Jetta TDI with a 2.0 turbo diesel motor. Technology has come a long way in those 28 years to minimize boost lag, but it's still there. I'm waiting for the cars to arrive for a test drive before I decide on which to plunk my money down on.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
An emotional thing? That is funny. I know I use the whole engine I buy, which are V8's. I use it many times a month and sometimes many times a day. Just depends. No emotional thing for me. I am sure that goes the same for the other V8 owners.
I bet, I bet you step into 6k everyday in that convertible .. I bet you use all 400hp.. and not just 367hp.

I bet you use those extra horses to satiate your ego.. for an emotional response.. more than for needing them. I bet if Your convertible had 700hp you'd use all of that too..?

Point being, I am right and most don't use all of their engine... and 300ft-lbs will work for most.

Don't worry, we have already established that you are not most.. U run tracks in urs..

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I bet, I bet you step into 6k everyday in that convertible .. I bet you use all 400hp.. and not just 367hp.

I bet you use those extra horses to satiate your ego.. for an emotional response.. more than for needing them. I bet if Your convertible had 700hp you'd use all of that too..?

Point being, I am right and most don't use all of their engine... and 300ft-lbs will work for most.

Don't worry, we have already established that you are not most.. U run tracks in urs..
I wonder if it's more accurate to say "Most of the time, none of us use the whole engine. But some of the time, all of us do."

The question becomes how frequent is that "some of the time", and when you do use it all, how do you want it to feel? There is a pretty significant "seat of the pants" difference between the power delivery of a turbo engine and a normally aspirated engine.

Also, as far as emotion goes, I'd agree that much of the reason for choosing a certain car or option is based on emotion. But that should not be construed as a bad thing. I'm an engineer, and am very analytic about some things, but cars are something I'm passionate about, so my choice necessarily is based on how it makes me feel when driving.

I bought my GTI based mostly on rationality, and have found that I don't really enjoy it very much even though it is an extremely well regarded car by the magazines. I find it just a bit too refined, with a bit too much separation between the driver and the car (a little throttle lag, a little turbo lag, not much steering feel, you sit up a bit too high, weak exhaust note, etc).

I hope not to make that mistake again.

I realize we are all different, but I think one of the great things about cars like the Mustang, Corvette, and Camaro is that while they do perhaps give up a little bit in refinement, they make up for it in their passion and a bit of brashness that makes them fun, even when you aren't really pushing them hard.

Anyway, just my $.02

-T

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
"most"..

Then again, many would choose the eb2.3 if it sounded like the v8.

I myself don't care why people buy what they do..

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I most certainly would not buy the 2.3EB if it sounded like the V8. NA vs FI is a totally different driving experience. I am in the same situation as trackaholic, I also have a GTI. Which is regarded as having very little turbo lag and in stock form reaches max tq by 1800 rpms, even with that the lag is very noticeable. I also have a very nice exhaust for it and have no complaints from how it sounds. I very much enjoy the sound of it but will admit, i'll enjoy the sound of the V8 better, hell i'd enjoy the sound of the VR6 better as well but you don't see me going after that inferior of an engine, although if the vr6 got as good of mpg's as the GTI's 2.0 i would of definitely chosen it over the 2.0.

Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I want the Eco-Boost for several reasons. I think it's going to be a very nimble, agile and well balanced car, which most or the Ride Reviews have already alluded to. I also wont lie, Fuel Economy does play a factor in My decision, but Honestly I think the Performance will More than Meet My Needs as well. My current car only has 265 Horsepower out of a V-6 which is 50 more HP than My last V-8 Thunderbird and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg in Mixed Driving. So considering the fact that the Eco-Boost is going to give me 45 more Horsepower than my current V-6 and offer me probably around 8 or 9 mpg better than what I'm currently getting it's Wins All Around for me.
The EB may have an advertised mpg that high, but I have a feeling the real world numbers will be in the low to mid 20's, nowhere near 30. My last car was a Nissan Juke which had 1.6L DiG Turbo engine that was rated at roughly 30 combined mileage. In over 2 years of driving I never averaged over 23 to 25, and that was babying the throttle and keeping it below 55 most of the time. (The car also had a nice CVT so it was running at optimum rpm.

Turbos just suck gas as soon as they spool up.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I really don't know how you never averaged more than 25 mpg in such a small motor. My best mpg's in the GTI was about 33-34mpg averaging about 50-60mph.That only happened on one tank of gas ever. And while I used to think it was pretty efficient, I don't any more even though on average i get better mpg's now than i used to. I will agree though it will be hard to get anywhere near EPA ratings if you go 70+mph. At those speeds the turbo is just about always spooling a little bit. I still got over 26 mpg going 75-80mpg, maybe sometimes a little faster.

I'm thinking maybe you have more of a lead foot than you realize lol because even with spirited driving I never averaged below 23mpg unless I idled a lot. Even on an autocross tank, I would average around there maybe a little lower. (obviously not on that day but for the entirety of the tank)

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I really don't know how you never averaged more than 25 mpg in such a small motor. My best mpg's in the GTI was about 33-34mpg averaging about 50-60mph.That only happened on one tank of gas ever. And while I used to think it was pretty efficient, I don't any more even though on average i get better mpg's now than i used to. I will agree though it will be hard to get anywhere near EPA ratings if you go 70+mph. At those speeds the turbo is just about always spooling a little bit. I still got over 26 mpg going 75-80mpg, maybe sometimes a little faster.

I'm thinking maybe you have more of a lead foot than you realize lol because even with spirited driving I never averaged below 23mpg unless I idled a lot. Even on an autocross tank, I would average around there maybe a little lower. (obviously not on that day but for the entirety of the tank)
I freely admit to having more than a bit of a lead foot, that is why I relied on the cruise control for my daily commuting. I have gotten great gas mileage out of 4 bangers in the past, just none with a turbo (91 Daytona, 94 and 98 Cavaliers).

Here is another source for the low mileage I was getting, seems to be a common issue. http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1065927_2012-nissan-juke_green_7

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
this is a very interesting thread.

as a vw gti owner, 12. past mazdaspeed3 owner, 10. and i have a rx8 04 that i use as a track car.. i am hoping that i can just have one car in my garage..

the mazdarx8 is a brilliant track car.. it just needs another 100 hp or 100 lb of tq.. if the weight of the mustang has gone down a bit like stated it could be the perfect track car for those with nothing to prove..

beers

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Regarding turbo fuel economy, I get a pretty consistent 31-33 in my GTI. I mostly drive on two lane mountain Highway, with some city mixed in. I typically shift when the car wants me to, which is almost always below 2500 RPM. However, I do go WOT for a couple parts of my commute. I do tend to be frugal on gas, minimize acceleration most of the time, keep my speed up in the corners, try to time the lights and avoid braking as much as possible. No A/C, and roll down the windows instead. I usually get a bit above the HWY rating in most of my cars. In my Z I'll get 25 or so. Anyhow, if you drive a turbo down low in the RPM range and deal with the lag, you can get pretty good economy, even if you push the car a bit.

-T
Sponsored