Mustang GT vs Mustang Ecoboost

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
How is this not already a thing?

Autocross, track days, daily driver. Each one with the performance package.

The GT obviously is going to have more power and more potential, but the EB will be easier to add power (adjust boost, go).
GT has the torsen LSD and shorter gears, EB better mileage. Doubt the EB will have much in the way of turbo lag but its also undersized if the boost starts dropping off at higher RPMs (so adding more boost may not be as simple as people expect).
As much as the EB is a torquey engine, dyno plots of the existing 5.0 mean the 5.0 is probably going to have at least as much torque at 2k as the EB does.

So, what are people's thoughts on the comparison?
Sponsored

ort895

Threads
Reaction score
Im going for the ecoboost. Low end torque plus a decently snarly sound is a win for me.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
The GT has way more potential then the ecoboost

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I want the Eco-Boost for several reasons. I think it's going to be a very nimble, agile and well balanced car, which most or the Ride Reviews have already alluded to. I also wont lie, Fuel Economy does play a factor in My decision, but Honestly I think the Performance will More than Meet My Needs as well. My current car only has 265 Horsepower out of a V-6 which is 50 more HP than My last V-8 Thunderbird and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg in Mixed Driving. So considering the fact that the Eco-Boost is going to give me 45 more Horsepower than my current V-6 and offer me probably around 8 or 9 mpg better than what I'm currently getting it's Wins All Around for me.

Sponsored

ort895

Threads
Reaction score
I want the Eco-Boost for several reasons. I think it's going to be a very nimble, agile and well balanced car, which most or the Ride Reviews have already alluded to. I also wont lie, Fuel Economy does play a factor in My decision, but Honestly I think the Performance will More than Meet My Needs as well. My current car only has 265 Horsepower out of a V-6 which is 50 more HP than My last V-8 Thunderbird and I'm lucky to get 20 mpg in Mixed Driving. So considering the fact that the Eco-Boost is going to give me 45 more Horsepower than my current V-6 and offer me probably around 8 or 9 mpg better than what I'm currently getting it's Wins All Around for me.
Right there with you. Good performance and decent mpg. Better than my 1.9l z3 that a go kart could outrun.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
A big part of it is indeed perspective. I have been driving a 2012 5.0 for the past 3 years. Had a 5.0 SN95 for many years before that. At this point it would be REALLY hard for me to give up the V8 sound and power and replace it with a 4 cylinder.

For those who are addicted to the growl and grunt of a good ol' American V8, the GT is still where it's at. For those that may be coming over from other brands that may have similar or less power, or for whom gas mileage is a really high priority, I can see how the Ecoboost is very appealing option.

Also just as a note, there are a few other differences in equipment between the two... The GT has the larger 15" 6-piston brakes, wider rear tires and additional bracing. Granted the benefit of the larger brakes is presumably offset to some degree by the GT's additional weight, but by how much we won't know until we start seeing some performance comparisons between the two.

The GT is going to remain the superior overall performer of the two, but the EB appears to be a great mix of performance and practicality.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I'd worry about turbo lag, I don't see how you can write it off. I hate it with a passion on our 1.6L ecoboost, love the throttle response of NA V8.

ort895

Threads
Reaction score
I'd worry about turbo lag, I don't see how you can write it off. I hate it with a passion on our 1.6L ecoboost, love the throttle response of NA V8.
The twin scroll turbo should help with that but of course there is going to be a little bit of lag. I'd imagine its going to be very similar to the new wrx, a little bit of lag and then it builds progressively.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Definitely going for the GT, in large part due to the sound and avoidance of turbo lag. I have a GTI and the lag on that has turned me off from turbos altogether. I really plan on waiting for the HiPo version, which I suspect will be naturally aspirated (at least initially - I'm sure there will be a version similar to the current GT500 at some point).

I do like the torque in my GTI, as well as the mileage, but the overall experience is lacking, so v8 it is.

-T

Sponsored

JBsC6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 black c6 z51 m6 with npp
The ecoboost seems like a viable alternative and should be reported as a great vehicle. Still if I were shopping today before the reports on both cars become apparent.....I'd have to go with the stout 5.0 based on its previous outstanding performance.

The new 5.0 supposedly outperforms the already impressive boss 302.

That's the only performance claim I've read so far.

Nothing for the ecoboost four as of yet so logically I'd choose the 5.0 over the ecoboost new mustang.

Jmo

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I suspect the EB will be great for 99% of the people out there.
Those who claim to need the 5.0 probably never use their whole engine, it is more of a "emotional" thing for them.

Also, the OP is wrong, the EB will have more TQ than a 5.0 until near 3krpms, not 2k..

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
Price will also be a consideration. If it is a $5-7k, that would be a lot to pay just for sound (for me, since I couldn't really use the full 5.0 engine in my driving). Not to mention extra gas and insurance.

Though, if money was no object, I would prefer the V8.

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a V6 Mustang Club Of America 2014 right now it's a great car. The reason I'm getting a 5.0 for 15 is I have always wanted one I have never had a V8 sports car and am very excited for this new product (emotional driven decision). I also believe that the ecoboost performance is very much up in the air as of right now. I would love to see a performance pack 14 V6 v. a Ecoboost performance pack 15 comparison. I think that this would show the truth about whether Ford is intentionally crippling the 3.7L or if the ecoboost is truly a better performing package.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Those who claim to need the 5.0 probably never use their whole engine, it is more of a "emotional" thing for them.
I'm pretty sure when the pedal is to the floor we're using the whole engine :thumbsup:
Sponsored