Sponsored

Mustang GT vs Mustang Ecoboost

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Let's see Ford's Eco boost four is 2.3 liters makes 305 hp.
Mercedes 2 liter four makes 350 hp.

BMW had a 1.5 liter four that made over 1000 hp twenty years ago...
Pshhh....Everyone was making over 1000 hp 20 years ago in F1.

That Mercedes engine is pretty nuts for a street car though.

-T
Sponsored

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
I freely admit to having more than a bit of a lead foot, that is why I relied on the cruise control for my daily commuting. I have gotten great gas mileage out of 4 bangers in the past, just none with a turbo (91 Daytona, 94 and 98 Cavaliers).

Here is another source for the low mileage I was getting, seems to be a common issue. http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1065927_2012-nissan-juke_green_7
That's either a problem with the car, or your driving style, or possibly a combination of the two. I can see a CVT messing some people up, because they have such aggressive engine braking in a lot of cases. Taking your foot out of it can actually be a bad thing for fuel mileage, it's the same thing as hitting the brakes. For purposes of fuel economy, hitting the brakes is practically the same thing as hitting the gas.

No doubt that's true when the boost is all the way up. However, during normal driving boost is minimal and stresses are very manageable. Given the high-quality materials Ford has spec'd to handle max boost, I'm thinking the EB will do just fine on reliability. Ford has a LOT riding on this technology and cannot afford a 300-hp hand grenade that detonates at 75k miles.
The only concern I have with the Ecoboost's reliability is with the carbon buildup issue a lot of direct injected engines experience, especially turbo direct injected engines. The internals are going to be fine. There are tones of tuned VW 2.0Ts running around putting out 270HP or more, and very very few have had issues. Engine tolerances are much better than they used to be.

As far as GT vs Ecoboost, I suspect for the majority of people it will come down to whether or not the GT is worth the extra money. For me, the difference would be somewhere around $200 a month, spread between payment, added insurance costs, and added fuel costs. So I have to decide whether that V8 sound and feel, and the extra HP is worth it to me. I'm leaning towards no, but I will have to drive the two cars before I can decide.

I currently drive a V8. The previous 2 cars were a 2002 GTI 337 with a 4 cylinder turbo, and a 2009 BMW 135i with a 6 cylinder twin turbo. The VW had wonderful torque, but had an annoying drive by wire system that sometimes didn't give you exactly what you were asking for. The 135i had virtually 0 turbo lag, and was wonderful in nearly all respects, but it ate just as much gas as my current V8 of the same power output in normal driving. The main fuel economy advantage that turbos have is in long distance cruising, as they are conserve fuel better when power is not needed. The 135i would get about 29 MPG on a long trip, where my current 540i gets about 26 MPG with an identical power rating. The extra liter plus of displacement simply eats a little more fuel as it's lopping along. Direct injection can help mitigate this in NA engines as well though.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
26mpg in a 540I you must drive like grandma

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
26mpg in a 540I you must drive like grandma
I usually set the cruise at about 80 on trips. The 540i does better than people think. Around town it gets about 20 mpg. My overall average is usually around 21-22. Difference between yours and mine might be auto vs manual as the manual has a taller final drive, or it could be that the M62TU does a bit better on fuel than the M62.
Sponsored