Sponsored

Mustang EcoBoost 2.3L High Performance Package Priced at $4,995

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
it's called marketing.... it makes 0 sense that this hi performance option will come with a built engine out of the factory, but is only capable of an extra 20 HP over the base EB. it'd be great if what you are guessing is true, but there is no data to support what you are saying so they just seem like wild assumptions

we already have the data available from the 15 - 19 EBs to know what kind of mods are required to make an extra 20 HP on the factory block, and it's almost nothing. you'd be wasting your money if the first thing you upgrade is the block without touching any of the other bottlenecks and slapping on a different tune first...
Marketing and announcement are two different things.

Who said anything about a built engine..? It has a newly designed block (by Ford Performance) this is more robust. There are people pulling the EB engines to rebuild them with the 2.0 block because it is more robust. Hence, many would love a turn-key solution off the lot.

You are correct, it makes ZERO sense for ford to design a new motor for an extra 20hp, when they could do nothing other than slap the outgoing RS engine in the Mustang. Which was rated for 350hp. So why instead did Ford Performance help design a brand new 2.3 engine block, if they only wanted 20 more horsepower..?

Is it because the HPO doesn't come with 20hp more than the standard EB...?

Understand, Ford did not say the HPO has 335hp, they said the HPO's horsepower is projected to be 335hp (they are underrating the engine). Again... logically... why would a Focus RS engine in a Mustang not have at least it's rated 350hp..? And instead only have 335hp, while having a bigger turbo? (laughing!!!).

Let me repeat, if the outgoing Focus RS engine is 350hp/350tq... why not just put that right into the Mustang, and Ford would not have to do any of engineering or upgrades Carl W said Ford Performance did... Yet, instead of putting the RS engine into the Mustang, Ford told us they build a new bock and are putting bigger turbo on it...

That is what you call marketing... and not letting the cat out of the bag too soon. Is the GT500 700hp like ford suggested, or...?

Do you understand now?
So yeah, why would anyone pay $4k for 20 extra HP.... ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am waiting to hear how much lighter the manual trans EB will be compared to the auto trans. I am a V8 guy, but the Ecoboost Hi-PO interest me . I think the 2.3 Hi-PO package will sell very well.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I am waiting to hear how much lighter the manual trans EB will be compared to the auto trans. I am a V8 guy, but the Ecoboost Hi-PO interest me . I think the 2.3 Hi-PO package will sell very well.
Why are you waiting to hear about the weight difference between the 2020 manual vs. A10? The 2019 has the same options so the weight will be the same difference?

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
some of the responses in this thread are from such ignorance... *some* of you who are replying need to go back and re-read the Ford release.

Here it is for a refresher:
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...igh-performance-package-for-2020-mustang.html

It’s a brand f’n newly designed engine, it’s not an “outgoing” engine. Show us in ANY factual documentation where it’s stated that the NEW 2.3HiPo is an older generation RS engine - go ahead I’m waiting for the factual link AND credible media source.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You really believe Ford created an entirely new 2.3. when they already had a 2.3 laying around that they weren’t using??? I remember a press release that said the 15 GT was going to be lighter than the S197s. They lied.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You really believe Ford created an entirely new 2.3. when they already had a 2.3 laying around that they weren’t using??? I remember a press release that said the 15 GT was going to be lighter than the S197s. They lied.
Boy did they ever lie,right through there teeth, and they put a big smile on it for 2015 and above. LOL.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
> projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque – the most powerful four-cylinder sports car offered by an American automaker

So if the Focus engine was built by Ford ('an American automaker') and presumably sold in USA isn't that statement utter bollocks? Because the Focus' outgoing engine made more power.

members of the Mustang team traveled to Valencia, Spain, home of the Ford Performance-tuned 2.3-liter engine, to convince plant management to build a new variant of the turbocharged four-cylinder specifically for Mustang. Then, with the Ford Performance-designed engine as a starting point, they tuned the EcoBoost to more broadly and responsively deliver a projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque achieved with premium fuel (per the SAE J1349 standard).
it’s the broader torque curve that delivers 90 percent of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,300 rpm, which is 40 percent wider than the base EcoBoost engine,” said Widmann. “Plus, horsepower holds stronger up to the 6,500-rpm redline.
secured production of the die-cast alloy block and high-performance cylinder head​

Given that this document is all marketing lies, one could infer that the Focus engine had already been given the heave-ho and Ford USA went begging for them to keep it in production. Sounds like they reused pretty much everything they could, upsized the turbo a little and massaged the torque curves a fair bit. The document is expressly silent on any changes to blocks be they iron-lined, closed-deck or otherwise. If one were to speculate I would guess the entire engine is a spitting copy of the Focus with but minor changes to accommodate change in orientation. What is different is the tuning and whatever other changes were necessary to effectuate that tuning. eg. CAM shaft lobe angle, duration and such.

Reading into a marketing document anything beyond a bunch of imprecise technical jargon is foolish.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
I was hoping that lumping together most of the go-fast goodies would have made this package a little cheaper, but I guess not. I was also surprised that the Torsen diff isn't included in the base 2.3 HPP.

I can only use Canadian prices for reference, but for a 2019 Ecoboost it costs $6K over the price of a base car to get the PP, 101A and active exhaust. Yes, it doesn't include the new body graphics or the extra 20hp, but it does include the Torsen diff and the 101A package. I would imagine that this $4,995 package up here in Canada would be at least $6K. Tack on the 101A to make it apples to apples and we're paying $2K for 20 more horsepower and some graphics, while losing out on the Torsen diff.

I still think this package is cool and the engine characteristics are obviously going to be better than the 20hp on paper suggests, but when it comes to price, it really has closed the gap to the GT...in a bad way. If the above listed combo is only $2K cheaper than a base GT with 301A, it's going to be a hard sell...

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
Not a bad price for what you are getting. Wouldn't mind picking one up on the used market. The perfect Mustang for me would be the EB with the 101A package so I get Sync3 and cloth seats, and the Performance Package.

Sponsored

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
> projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque – the most powerful four-cylinder sports car offered by an American automaker

So if the Focus engine was built by Ford ('an American automaker') and presumably sold in USA isn't that statement utter bollocks? Because the Focus' outgoing engine made more power.

members of the Mustang team traveled to Valencia, Spain, home of the Ford Performance-tuned 2.3-liter engine, to convince plant management to build a new variant of the turbocharged four-cylinder specifically for Mustang. Then, with the Ford Performance-designed engine as a starting point, they tuned the EcoBoost to more broadly and responsively deliver a projected 330 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque achieved with premium fuel (per the SAE J1349 standard).
it’s the broader torque curve that delivers 90 percent of peak torque between 2,500 and 5,300 rpm, which is 40 percent wider than the base EcoBoost engine,” said Widmann. “Plus, horsepower holds stronger up to the 6,500-rpm redline.
secured production of the die-cast alloy block and high-performance cylinder head​

Given that this document is all marketing lies, one could infer that the Focus engine had already been given the heave-ho and Ford USA went begging for them to keep it in production. Sounds like they reused pretty much everything they could, upsized the turbo a little and massaged the torque curves a fair bit. The document is expressly silent on any changes to blocks be they iron-lined, closed-deck or otherwise. If one were to speculate I would guess the entire engine is a spitting copy of the Focus with but minor changes to accommodate change in orientation. What is different is the tuning and whatever other changes were necessary to effectuate that tuning. eg. CAM shaft lobe angle, duration and such.

Reading into a marketing document anything beyond a bunch of imprecise technical jargon is foolish.
100% agreement until we see otherwise from someone tearing one down. i'd love to be proven wrong, but the numbers don't make sense for them to have built a new 2.3 engine

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I've mentioned in another thread I think 90% of the power is from the tune. I also recall the turbo being different. But give it a year or so, and the tuners will learn a lot about how Ford tuned this hi-po model, and we'll see benefits across the board in aftermarket tunes (I said "tune" a lot in that sentence).

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
some of the responses in this thread are from such ignorance... *some* of you who are replying need to go back and re-read the Ford release.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...igh-performance-package-for-2020-mustang.html

It’s a brand f’n newly designed engine, it’s not an “outgoing” engine. Show us in ANY factual documentation where it’s stated that the NEW 2.3HiPo is an older generation RS engine - go ahead I’m waiting for the factual link AND credible media source.
Manufactures always claim "all new" and most of the time "all new" means somewhere between "highly derivative" to "slightly different, but mostly the same". My source...life.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Perhaps it is NEW....to the Mustang. :crazy: