Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Unless the HP package Ecoboost is going to run a high 12 in the quarter(I am not holding my breath on this), I think this pkg. will be a hard sell.

Then again, it might be a limited edition so it might sell.
How can a 4 Banger Mustang be considered High Performance,not in my book at any price,not even free. LOL.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say the 301A and 101A packages are a bit over-priced at $2K, and should be included in the base cars.
when I calculate "fair value" for a new car I price all options at 0.55x of sticker because that's basically what they cost. Ford's unit cost is probably more like 0.4x due to sheer quantity discounts. The 101A/301A should be a max $800 option and I agree, should be included standard on all cars unless Ford really does want a cut-rate Ecoboost. But how many of those do they really sell? The GT can live without the upgraded Sync3/Console (but deserves to have it no matter what) but the Ecoboost has got to have the drive mode toggle. It's the single-most important motivator to purchase IMO. An ecoboost without it is just "why bother?"

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
How can a 4 Banger Mustang be considered High Performance,not in my book at any price,not even free. LOL.
To be fair, Ford put out a 5.0 "High Output" engine in 1982 that was rated at 157 HP. It probably made less power than the 289 I had in a 1965 Mustang.

By the way, do you even have a S550 Mustang?

EDIT: Nevermind, a quick search shows that you don't.

1. How badly do you have to fail in life to try to flex on a S550 forum with your "garage queen" S197 Mustang at every chance you can get?

2. Obviously, Ford and the general public doesn't give a rat's ass about your opinions because S550 sales numbers compared to the other pony cars doesn't lie. Neither the folks on this forum since... oh maybe... because they bought an S550?

3. Please do tell where the S550, 3rd gen Coyote engine, and Ecoboost touched you to trigger you.

comments.png

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
have specifics been provided on exactly what has been done to the "upgraded engine"? or are you just assuming?

if it is a built engine from the factory which you can push further with less risk of boom, then sure, it's not a bad upgrade. if it's the same engine with a slightly bigger turbo and a downpipe? not so much....

https://www.torquenews.com/106/how-mustang-ecoboost-makes-345hp-focus-rs

"To get the extra power out of the 2016 Ford Focus RS, the 2.3L EcoBoost engine from the Mustang has been fitted with a different turbocharger, an upgraded intake system, a larger exhaust system and a larger radiator, which helps keep this high performance mill cool over long periods of track time. This power is put to the ground via a 6-speed manual transmission and a new advanced all-wheel drive system that should be one of the best-performing systems of its type in the segment."

No mention of upgraded internals. And pretty much everyone on this board with a modified EB is already making the above changes to their cars (plus more)

Yes, it was announced that the Mustang HPO uses a brand new (specifically built) block by Ford Performance, with cast iron sleeves.

Ironically, it is the exact same rumor for the new up & coming 2020 Focus RS (european release). One would assume, that both the RS & HPO share the new Ford Performance 2.3 block and new turbos. The difference is, Ford says the brand new 2020 Focus RS not only get a new 2.3 engine, it will also be hybrid design & is rumored to have 400hp and 450tq in hybrid mode. With the new 2.3 engine being 365hp & 380tq without electric assist.

I expect the Mustang HPO to make at least that.... since the engine has more room to breathe and sits in the engine bay properly. Also, I think there will be an actual SVO version of the HPO that comes in hybrid design with 400hp/450tq...!

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I just want to know what it will cost me to buy the new motor and drop it in my '17 EB. But I'll wait a while so the aftermarket parts makers and tuners can get up to speed with it.

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Ok so who’s running out and buying the 36k 4 banger? Maybe get this train wreck back on track.
MSRP for base EB's $26,395 so shouldn't adding this option bump up the price to $31,390? Not to mention that no one should be paying MSRP for an EB, so probably more like high $20K.

Personally, being a modder, I'd rather use the $4,995 to install an even better turbo, DP, IC, and suspension and outperform it every way.

canyon ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ED
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible Premium Auto W/PP1 NVRMADE
Well I bought a new 17 GT conv and added less than $3k worth of the same but upgraded mods and I found that this was a way better deal

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
have specifics been provided on exactly what has been done to the "upgraded engine"? or are you just assuming?
He likes to talk out of his ass... I find him doing it QUITE often. There's a whole thread where he tried to convince everyone that the Ecoboost engine doesn't have turbo lag, it has throttle lag because smaller engines have more throttle lag than bigger engines... Like WAT :LMAO:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it was announced that the Mustang HPO uses a brand new (specifically built) block by Ford Performance, with cast iron sleeves.

Ironically, it is the exact same rumor for the new up & coming 2020 Focus RS (european release). One would assume, that both the RS & HPO share the new Ford Performance 2.3 block and new turbos. The difference is, Ford says the brand new 2020 Focus RS not only get a new 2.3 engine, it will also be hybrid design & is rumored to have 400hp and 450tq in hybrid mode. With the new 2.3 engine being 365hp & 380tq without electric assist.

I expect the Mustang HPO to make at least that.... since the engine has more room to breathe and sits in the engine bay properly. Also, I think there will be an actual SVO version of the HPO that comes in hybrid design with 400hp/450tq...!
Wow, speak of the devil, there you go talking out your ass again!

Please, provide a source where ford has said ANY of this

The HPO shares an engine with the OUTGOING Focus RS, the next gen Focus RS hasn't even been confirmed to exist by Ford, let alone giving powertrain details, and the HPO is already rated at 330, so your little 400hp isn't happening

Get real, dude

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Wow, lot of drama in here.

I prefer a fully loaded car with weaker engine than a poverty level car with a bigger engine. But I'm not racing my car. And I prefer a fully loaded bigger engine car, that's why my car has every option :-)

If I really wanted an EcoBoost, this might be a good option for me. But I'd rather buy an older CPO fully loaded 5.0 than a 2020 hipo ecoboost.

Sponsored
OP
OP
EcoVert

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, Ford put out a 5.0 "High Output" engine in 1982 that was rated at 157 HP. It probably made less power than the 289 I had in a 1965 Mustang.
It did the base 289 in1965 ha 210 hp

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
It did the base 289 in1965 ha 210 hp
In 1965, manufacturers quoted gross horsepower ratings. They switched to net horsepower ratings in 1972. So 210 gross might be a little more than the 157 net.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost

it's called marketing.... it makes 0 sense that this hi performance option will come with a built engine out of the factory, but is only capable of an extra 20 HP over the base EB. it'd be great if what you are guessing is true, but there is no data to support what you are saying so they just seem like wild assumptions

we already have the data available from the 15 - 19 EBs to know what kind of mods are required to make an extra 20 HP on the factory block, and it's almost nothing. you'd be wasting your money if the first thing you upgrade is the block without touching any of the other bottlenecks and slapping on a different tune first...

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Unless the HP package Ecoboost is going to run a high 12 in the quarter(I am not holding my breath on this), I think this pkg. will be a hard sell.

Then again, it might be a limited edition so it might sell.
No way it runs high 12s. The 2018 A10 Ecoboost ran 13.9 @ 97 mph (Motor Trend) and 13.5 @ 99 mph (Car and Driver). An extra 20 hp and a fatter torque curve won't cut that much time off to break into the 12s.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
And once again you are trolling & threadcrapping. :puke:

There's a whole thread where he tried to convince everyone that the Ecoboost engine doesn't have turbo lag, it has throttle lag because smaller engines have more throttle lag than bigger engines...
Yes and that whole thread is there for you to re-read and understand that people were laughing at YOU, for being over the top and unable to discern the difference between what is throttle lag, and what is called turbo lag.

Again, Yes... people are still laughing at YOU, for not understanding this simple principal, that was not even part of an argument, but the ONLY thing you could bite on (in that discussion) because you are unable to follow it. You still think the ecoboost has turbo lag.. and people are laughing at you.

We all know you can remove all the nannies and make that throttle snap... & responds to the drivers inputs with much more precision. You can do this this on the GT, or the EB. And you pretend not to even understand or grasp that concept... and instead hammered a whole thread until people gave up on you and left.

Throttle lag exist in non-turbo cars and you refused to believe it... yet ECU. You don't control the throttle plate, your ECU does. You are also unable to discern when it happens, or even aware of it in videos... when an engine doesn't go wide open... when the driver demands it.

Joke is on you for not reading (carefully) what people say, and instead choosing to attacking them, when you can't step back and look at your tunnel vision.

Wow, speak of the devil, there you go talking out your ass again!

Please, provide a source where ford has said ANY of this

The HPO shares an engine with the OUTGOING Focus RS, the next gen Focus RS hasn't even been confirmed to exist by Ford, let alone giving powertrain details, and the HPO is already rated at 330, so your little 400hp isn't happening

Get real, dude

Can you provide a Source where Ford says they are using an old engine..? Or are you so mad at me, you will just come here and spew any garbage just to argue..?

The Mustang HPO has a brand new engine block (w/iron sleeves) designed by Ford performance. It also has a different turbo. If you didn't know this, then you didn't listen to Carl, or have cared to read at any depth. Nothing more I say, can help you.
Sponsored