Mustang Brake Recall

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
My VIN still shows no recall. I wounder how long it’s going to take Ford to get this sorted.
I don't think that any large corporation moves at the speed of heat. All I can say is that they know about it and it is being reviewed. I wouldn't worry much about driving around town. I sure as hell wouldn't participate in a track event with this known defect.

Edited to add:
John, have you gotten onto your back and examined your bracket?

Last edited:

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
I don't think that any large corporation moves at the speed of heat. All I can say is that they know about it and it is being reviewed. I wouldn't worry much about driving around town. I sure as hell wouldn't participate in a track event with this known defect.

Edited to add:
John, have you gotten onto your back and examined your bracket?
I’m not worried around town at all. Going to get her out today and check it out. Might finally install my license plate. Been trying to hold out for my custom plate, but in Oklahoma that appears to be a 12 to 16 week process.

I know big companies don’t move fast, but with a safety item, you’d expect better.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I finally bit the bullet and crawled down in there. Found this one quickly.

sarah-brake-part-info.jpg

But THIS SUMBITCH was a major PITA to capture. Must have taken ten tries with the phone and another ten to UNLOCK the darn thing! Grrrr...

Nonetheless, I got this and I guess Sarah's bracket is Polly Propee Lean, too. :cool:

sarah-brake-part-info2.jpg

KB

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I know big companies don’t move fast, but with a safety item, you’d expect better.
I completely agree, John, and I wish there were time constraints and penalties on what is clearly a safety device.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I finally bit the bullet and crawled down in there. Found this one quickly.

sarah-brake-part-info.jpg

But THIS SUMBITCH was a major PITA to capture. Must have taken ten tries with the phone and another ten to UNLOCK the darn thing! Grrrr...

Nonetheless, I got this and I guess Sarah's bracket is Polly Propee Lean, too. :cool:

sarah-brake-part-info2.jpg

KB
The dreaded PP bracket

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
This may be a little off topic, but anyone notice an issue where when starting the car cold and trying to reverse, even after letting off the brake? It seems the E brake is trying to hold the car or something. After being off the brake for a while, or tapping the gas, there's a clunking sound then all is well and this rarely happens. (yes the e brake is off)

About this recall, I called the dealer and apparently no word on the recall for my car. Either isn't part of it, or Ford hasn't notified them. Wouldn't surprise me.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
SERVICE ACTION
Before demonstrating or delivering any new in-stock vehicles involved in this recall, dealers are to replace the brake pedal and bracket assembly following the dealer bulletin technical information. This service must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner.
NOTE: Parts are currently not available in sufficient quantities to repair all vehicles. Part orders can be requested through the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) using the SSSC link at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen to repair vehicles that meet the following criteria only:
• Affected customer vehicles that arrive at your dealership.

• New in-stock vehicles with a signed sales contract.
It is anticipated that parts will be available in sufficient quantities to repair all vehicles in the first quarter of 2021. Refer to Attachment II for additional information.

OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE
Owner letters are expected to be mailed the week of November 9, 2020. Dealers should repair any affected vehicles that arrive at their dealerships, whether or not the customer has received a letter.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Skwibbs: The rotors are rusted, I'll bet you washed the vehicle a few hours before trying to back it up. Happens every time down here in serious humididity land. :=)
Thank you so much, that makes total sense and has been driving me crazy when it does happen. You're pretty spot on. I did notice a bit on them after driving it last time that happened.

I thought I had a faulty E brake or something since that is new to the Mustang and it could potentially damage other components. Is not a nice clunking sound.

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
So here’s a stupid ass idea :) just get in your car without it running and sitting. Now with all your might mash down on the Brake Pedal and yeah uh huh let me know what happens. And if it didn’t break then well guess you know:giggle:

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
So here’s a stupid ass idea :) just get in your car without it running and sitting. Now with all your might mash down on the Brake Pedal and yeah uh huh let me know what happens. And if it didn’t break then well guess you know:giggle:
If it didn't break, you may have caused stress fractures in the bracket that will eventually cause catastrophic failure and you won't be sitting in your garage when it happens..

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
If it didn't break, you may have caused stress fractures in the bracket that will eventually cause catastrophic failure and you won't be sitting in your garage when it happens..
Thanks Snoopy and with all our cars sitting just trying to help us have some silliness.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Is not a nice clunking sound.
No, it certainly isn't but I don't believe it's a concern. I've started blowing out the water from the rotors and pads after washing her and that seems to minimize or even eliminate the grab. Probably wouldn't hurt to drive her a little and hit the brakes a bit.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it certainly isn't but I don't believe it's a concern. I've started blowing out the water from the rotors and pads after washing her and that seems to minimize or even eliminate the grab. Probably wouldn't hurt to drive her a little and hit the brakes a bit.
Smart. I'm getting a blower soon. I rinse it with filtered water after I wash and just park it wet, let it dry. I'll start taking it for a spin around the block first from now on.