Mustang Brake Recall

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Letter arrived today, but mine has been on order already, just waiting for arrival of the part.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No letters here yet and these recall notices don't appear to be following any real rhyme or reason for delivery.

"Tracked a car that was designed to be tracked but shouldn't have been tracked..."

Too funny, my friend.

KB
My letter didn't arrive until weeks after the work was already done.

It will show up in your OASIS before it makes it the the NHSTA web site. Heck the letter was long, long, after it made it to the NHSTA.

I would be checking the NHSTA recall website and calling your service advisor before waiting on a letter.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I am guessing there is ZERO chance they let me install this myself? I really really don't want to take my car to the dealer.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I am guessing there is ZERO chance they let me install this myself? I really really don't want to take my car to the dealer.
I installed mine and I think others here might have too. I have not replaced my camera yet as mine has not shown any issues like others have seen so I haven't put it high on the list of things to do. Probably get to it sometime this month though. I don't take any of my cars in for any work unless it is something major like an internal warranty engine/transmission repair.

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I installed mine and I think others here might have too. I have not replaced my camera yet as mine has not shown any issues like others have seen so I haven't put it high on the list of things to do. Probably get to it sometime this month though. I don't take any of my cars in for any work unless it is something major like an internal warranty engine/transmission repair.
I recommend not doing this yourself. This is a safety item that needs to be documented in the Ford computers. It’s a fairly straight forward process that most of us could do ourselves easily, but this needs to be done by Ford. There is liability involved.

I did it yesterday and documented the whole thing on video. I drove my car in/out and sat there while the tech did the swap. He laid a protective blanket down to protect the rocker/sill and did an excellent job.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
I recommend not doing this yourself. This is a safety item that needs to be documented in the Ford computers. It’s a fairly straight forward process that most of us could do ourselves easily, but this needs to be done by Ford. There is liability involved.

I did it yesterday and documented the whole thing on video. I drove my car in/out and sat there while the tech did the swap. He laid a protective blanket down to protect the rocker/sill and did an excellent job.
I agree, and I am surprised they let anyone do it themselves because of the liability. I am just not sure my dealer would be as careful as i would want them to be. I don't give them much credit because previous experience at all dealers has shown me they are NOT careful. I have no doubt they can physically replace the bracket, just have zero confidence they can without F'ing something else up.....

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree with you Tim and am well aware it is a safety issue/part (nice video by the way). I have dealt with my dealer for more than 20 years and they know me very well and I have fixed/repaired safety issues before. And as before, they will inspect it to make sure it has been done properly and document it accordingly. This is MY car and I will absolutely not have anyone else work on it unless I physically cannot do the repair.

As with protraxduner above, I also have zero confidence these days that anyone can repair anything without F'ing something else up.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Mark: It sounds like you have one very rare relationship with your dealer, that's wonderful.

I kinda do with a close friend as the ASM but I do trust the Shelby tech and he loves the car.

Tom: I have spoken with my friend and he showed me the camera OASIS screen but the brake assembly hasn't shown up yet. I need to give him a jingle though.

KB

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
I agree, and I am surprised they let anyone do it themselves because of the liability. I am just not sure my dealer would be as careful as i would want them to be. I don't give them much credit because previous experience at all dealers has shown me they are NOT careful. I have no doubt they can physically replace the bracket, just have zero confidence they can without F'ing something else up.....
I completely agree with you Tim and am well aware it is a safety issue/part (nice video by the way). I have dealt with my dealer for more than 20 years and they know me very well and I have fixed/repaired safety issues before. And as before, they will inspect it to make sure it has been done properly and document it accordingly. This is MY car and I will absolutely not have anyone else work on it unless I physically cannot do the repair.

As with protraxduner above, I also have zero confidence these days that anyone can repair anything without F'ing something else up.
I completely understand about techs screwing stuff up. I refuse to have any of my Mustangs worked on without me there “supervising.” If your dealer will allow you to install the items and then inspect the work as well as sign it off in the computer as having the recall done, then I see no harm/no foul.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
My bud at the store was busy and didn't get back to me today other than to say he was swamped, probably tomorrow and again, Mark, that is quite a symbiotic relationship of which many would be jealous. :-) But I'm as amazed as Tony that Ford would even allow a customer to make a "repair" like this due to the liability as Tony mentioned. Sun visor light doesn't work, OK, that you can replace but a brake assembly?

My biggest beef other than someone not doing their engineering homework on this and a few other things...<harumph! :cool: >..is I'm gonna have to do the Shelby brake pedal routine AGAIN. But, I picked up something I should have purchased a long time ago, a pneumatic angle drill and it will make the job considerably easier and, easier on my back. :-)

I sure would like to know if this failure occurred in downstream testing or whether a real customer was involved.

KB

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
I am right there in the same boat as @Epiphany.

Tracked a car that was built to be tracked, but could have not stopped when asked to stop.

I had to skip a track day, couldn't get a refund for it, on day after Thanksgiving, thanks to the recall, but better safe than sorry.

I reached out to my dealer, right after it was posted that the recall showed up in Oasis, my dealer ordered the parts, and they arrived on Black Friday (the day of my track day) and I had it installed today. So at least it's safe now, and I hope I am done visiting the dealer for repairs that shouldn't have to be made for a while.