Sponsored

MT-82 owners, what if Tremec is offered in 2021MY?

TheDonEffect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
Clutch assist spring needs to be removed or replaced with the steeda one.
Well it also sorts feels like a moving target as well, but I was considering do that mod but frankly it doesn't bother me enough to make the mod, been driving stick for almost 20 years now.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Well it also sorts feels like a moving target as well, but I was considering do that mod but frankly it doesn't bother me enough to make the mod, been driving stick for almost 20 years now.
Cheap and easy, and makes it feel like a real clutch. 10 mins later and all is better.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm also happier with my MT-82 than previous Tremecs I've owned (2 Corvettes and 1 GTO). The one on the last Corvette was actually defective right out of the box (a bad 2nd gear synchro). It's only possible shortcoming compared to the Tremecs is its ability to take abuse, but since that won't be an issue under my ownership, I don't have any issues with it :).

Hey gang, as a side question, somebody mentioned our PP1 cars have TWO driveshafts. Why the heck is that, with such a short distance??? I thought PP1 cars had just 1 piece. Even seems more expensive, having to add a brace point, etc. Curious why. Thx.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm also happier with my MT-82 than previous Tremecs I've owned (2 Corvettes and 1 GTO). The one on the last Corvette was actually defective right out of the box (a bad 2nd gear synchro). It's only possible shortcoming compared to the Tremecs is its ability to take abuse, but since that won't be an issue under my ownership, I don't have any issues with it :).

Hey gang, as a side question, somebody mentioned our PP1 cars have TWO driveshafts. Why the heck is that, with such a short distance??? I thought PP1 cars had just 1 piece. Even seems more expensive, having to add a brace point, etc. Curious why. Thx.
I wouldn't call it two driveshafts, it's just a two piece driveshaft with a center support. I don't really know why that is, but that's what they did for some reason. Maybe it helps with NVH?

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't really follow that, since it has to move along with the differential. Guess will scrutinize it when I change the oil later this week. Thank you.

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
dont care mines holding over 850 wheel right now, been boosted for 3 years no problems. rxt 1200 clutch, mgw shifter i like my trans.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Two-piece driveshafts are used to keep the driveshaft from hitting its resonant speed. Crudely, this is a 'stiffness' thing, where the two shorter shaft pieces would be stiffer than a full-length shaft of comparable strength. Bad things happen if a driveshaft hits a resonance.

Another technique used to avoid driveshaft resonance involves setting a speed limiter below a critical driveshaft frequency (I think some years of sixxer cars used this approach).

Norm

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So far 1500 miles on mine oil level still perfect.
Check out Car and Driver's report on the car:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23083757/2017-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-reliability-update-3/

in over 40,000 miles, it drank 21.5 quarts of oil.in addition to the regularly scheduled oil changes.

Ford released a supplement to the owner's manual stating that the engine might consume a quart every 500 miles under severe use. "Severe use" pretty accurately sums up our treatment of just about any car, but particularly one with an 8250-rpm redline. And we were lucky; internet forums are rife with horror stories of Shelbys consuming far more.
All the best.

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
How many beers did you knock down while typing all that?? :beer::crackup:

1. Your Mach 1, will have the same 5.0 as the GT. The 350 is hand assembled by one person and is a 5.2L with superior internals that sounds as good as it can rev. My 350 doesn't make ticking noises and all sorts of chirps both my 5.0's did. This alone is worth all the reason to buy this over any 5.0 The gen 3 is a 9k engine, the 5.2 is a 20k dollar engine.

2. The suspension and handling will still be better in a 350, not that it matters much because 99% will not bring it to a track. It most likely will sit in the garage.

3. The 350 says Shelby on it, the badge alone adds +23HP ... J/K!! It will hold its value better imo, so resale value I give to the 350.

All said and done, the 350 is still one of the best mustangs built to date.

The mach 1 is something that the GT should have been. It's very nice, but its not 55k+ plus nice.

I will take my gas guzzling flat plane crank that ford may or may not have gotten right over the 5.0. and besides still plenty of new 2019 2020 on dealer lots around the country if your willing to look, you can definitely get a good deal.
^^^^
#1. Its not MY MOCK MACH 1.
NEVER GONNA BE MINE.
CUZ IM NOT STUPID NUFF TOO BE WASTING GT350 $$ VALUE MONEY ON A BULLITT W/COOLERS & TREMEC.

#2. OTHER THAN ON A CLOSED COARSE.
U CANT DRIVE YOUR
'50WT OIL SPREADER/....
or is it a Oil BURNER'??
( Wait..does it actually burnthe oil?
or just spread it?
Or just disappear..magically??

Cuz maybe instead of calling it a
'Shelby'...
they should call it a
"David Copperfield Special Addition" Veh?? If it just magically makes oil disappears???
Perhaps the 'just disappearing oil'...
Finds its way out the rear tail pipes??

Or do we know for sure it actually gets burned in the Combustion chambers??
or in the Cat's??. Which will just clog up in 50k miles...

And can we qualify these
'180° Disasters'.. As TRUELY having
"ELECTRONIC OIL INJECTION" LMAO...

...And are they needing that Oil in the chamber ORDER TO to TAME DOWN
"THAT EXTRA 23 HP BADGE HP OUTPUT "..
<DOUBLE LMAO>
... SO it DOESN'T get away from U W/NANNYS OFF??
Like those typically seen VIDEOS @
'cars & coffee' --Mustang stunt driver VIDS ON UTUBE.????

AND TGAT BETTER Suspension you paid the extra $25k for... OVER OUR
$41+K '19 DHG 'Litt...???

VS UR
$68+K "DEEP WATER HORIZON"
Edition S550.?? (TRIPLE )

Im pretty sure your $25k extra <CAR>
U PAID FOR isnt any qwiker on 10 miles of 2 Lane back road Driving than our $41k 'Litt.

Not $25k qwiker ANYHOW..
In Real World Driving Scenarios.. anyhow...
THESE CARS..NONE OF THEM.. ARE RACE CARS. If u buy a car that actually comes w/ warranty's..
ITS NOT A REAL RACE CAR. PERIOD

& UR NON RACE CAR ISNT RRALLY ANY QWIKER than my own '19...Trash Barge Bullitt... on any give road on any given day..
ON REAL WORLD DRIVING HIGHWAYS..

Yes. Your oil coolers do add.....
Well..weight!!?? Lmao..
Totally Un-Necessary wt#..Yes. Totally agree on that deal..
TONS OF unnecessary ##
( adds it to any 'daily driver vehicle'
that cant get any of its fluids even hot enuff on any local, State, or Interstate Federal Hwy..to get to limp mode w/o said coolers..

What U gt350 guys do hav going for you is the fact that you all only put what?
600/800 miles a yr on um?? So no oil chsnges needed for 5 yrs. Just keep adding a quart every 500 miles or so...lmao..

Cuz on those

(same there nuthin really but a
<price wise> same cost fir ur "oil stoves" as as any loaded F150s )
beauty's...

So.. all that said.
@ best --- based on all the used '17/'18'/'19 cars we see for sale..
its bout 6-800 miles Per yr put on the noise maker 5.2Ls..
We see um used cheap all the time.. ..anyhow...
not new cars cheap thou.

Still. Coolers will keep fluid temps un-needed'ly lower than ours (as will your 'MOCK 1'.. AS WELL)

The gt350s guys hav Gotta hav Cool fluid Temps..
while gettin into the Starbucks parking lots... and trying to position it yhe cars badging..
(The "Valdez" badge is what it should say).

So @ least 'someone inside' able too see the Shelly badge... for the Ego inflation needed to justify the tanker truck needed to lube that 5.2L.

#3 AS FOR THE MACH 1 NEEDED TO BE A GT.
Well. We can all say that about any model car that has upgrades..as u say a gt should hav got the Mock parts. Lmao
Isnt that LIKE SAYING..
AN ' XLT F150 SHOULD HAV BEEN CALLED A LARIAT'.. LMAO

SO YES. You can keep your oil guzzling TURD BOILER..
As well as it being a
Gasoline pwred
BURNING MAN consumption of fuel Ohmage..

and..lastly.
There are NO GOOD DEALS ON WITH COVID CAUSING INVENTORIES TO BE A DISASTER.

SO CLEARLY YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR PULSE ON THE CAR MARKET AT THIS TIME. Unless u speak of 180° messes..

THERE ARE NO DEALS ON THE New
"EXXON /DEEP HORIZONS" S550s out there.
The gt350 was Such a warranty nite-mare. FORD HAD TO Chit-Can it in 2020s end run..
& then put a 'Litt Pwr Plant in its REPLACEMENT...THE MOCK 1 veh. LOLLLLL

How many beers you drink during wirking hours..??

Ok.. sure. Ur rite.. im wrong.. my fact are only fact.
Yours are only opinions...
HEY.. i still luv ya & ur kerosene spreader..

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
the only downer with a GT350 is the oil issues. Consuming 1 qt/ 1000 miles is unacceptable.
I think most of them don't consume oil. Mine never did, whether it was on track or on the street. 33,000 trouble free miles. I wish I still owned it.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
First, going back to subject, I honestly prefer the Getrag on my Bullitt after owning 3 crappy Tremecs (2 T56s, and 1 TR6060), with the last being defective from the factory with a bad 2nd gear synchro on my ex-2012 Vette Grand Sport (with 4 miles on the clock from the factory). They might be more robust than the MT82, but I don't need them more robust. Plus the TR3160 might not even be more robust than the Getrag, for what I've read (it's a pound or two lighter).

On the GT350 engine comments, it has had a pretty high failure rate, and most of them very early on. Plus you can't expect it to last nearly as long as a Coyote Gen3 engine, due to the awful vibrations of such crankshaft. That's probably why Ford went back to a cross-plane crank on the GT500 engine, even though it basically uses the same block and design as the GT350 one. Finally, I never liked how Ferrari flat-crank V8 engines sound, at least from the outside. But I have to say the VooDoo sounds way better. I still like the V8 DOHC crossplane sound better, but compared to the VooDoo, not my much.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I really like the MT82D4 in the 2020 Ford Mustang GT. Only the ratios are a downer, the shifter and smoothness of the tranny I am enjoying immensely.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I really like the MT82D4 in the 2020 Ford Mustang GT. Only the ratios are a downer, the shifter and smoothness of the tranny I am enjoying immensely.
^^^
I think we will all get used too the ratios sooner or later.
If not. A ring & pinion change @ some point.
Maybe after warranty for me. I dunno..
Will suffice.
The 4.09 ratio wouldn't be my 1st choice.
But these Super 8.8s dont hav the same selection as the old 8.8s.
At least they are stronger. Not that the old 8.8 is weak. But its nothing but a GM 12 bolt from the 1960s. Even uses the same carrier bearing part #'s & races .

These IRS S550s are pleasantly much better than anything short of a 9" fabricated 9" like I used to build for some Cobra kit car guys.

As for the 180° crank engines.
We tried in the 70s. Didn't work
Again in 80s. Didnt wrk
90s. Didn't work.
Didnt even try in the 1st decade of 2000's.

Yes. Balancing techniques hav improved considerably & thats why people went bk to trying them in racing programs.
But phuck. U gotta put Safely wire/Loctite/ & use Arkansas Lock nuts on every fastener on the car to keep the things from vibrating out and apart.

It absolutely kills the Gt350 guys to speak put loud to the warranty nitemare its been for FoMoCo these past few yrs.

Those Shelby guys ganged up on me faster than a swarm of killer bee's in Brazil a few weeks bk on another post.
They thought they had me crushed till I came bk at um w/real facts in a few posts
They shut the phluck up qwiker than you can buy a 3 yr old 3000 mile gt350 on craiglist.

& thats pretty qwik.

The tranny ratios are just a fleet mileage thing on Fords end. Yrs ago u could order several diff ratios in bout any ford product worth getting a posi unit in.

We had a run of 4.22's cut for the 9" Road race cars. Even used um in some drag cars but they were 8620 & not 9310 drawn bk. So we tried not to put to many hits on um w/over 1000+hp.
Never broke 1 thou.
Tom could get Bill to cut just about any ratio guys want. But Toms gonna get his pound of flesh for any odd ratio he commissions Bill to cut.
Not sure anyone has the stomach for $6-800 4.22 gear sets.
Personally. Although I think the 4.09 would make anyone w/'18+ M82 happier.

If u cant jump to the 4.22 or a 4.29/4.30 .
Then im not sure for just daily driving I could justify the overall cost/time/ect for the 4.09 install..
& weve done all our own gear wrk for decades.

Someone did the math & said that the 4.09 getscu close to what a '17 & older..
"torque to tire" was about at.

If Mike <Leonard's son> Long would make a shifter
(to there typical specs u'd get from them,
as a professional racer would buy..)
for the Mt82. That part alone..
would likely get it the 'China Lite tranny's,
up to par w/ANY complaints the
'Tremec Molester's' could possibly WHINE about regarding the 82-D4s.
They cry day/nite bout how bad the 82s are. & many who cry dont even prolly own 1 or ever hav.
a buncha tremec SIMPS /Fanboyz..

I cant say myself.. much yet bout the 82D4. Good or bad.
Well... We Cant say anything Bad just yet..
We havnt really tried to run the thing into the ground yet..
Hav not yet been on a stretch of road, worthy of truely rowing gears 'Ronnie' style.

Well. Nobody can row anything including that D4 boat, like that lil bastard Sox could hav. Even when he was 70+ yrs old.

Sox showed Hemmingson that his Jericho wouldn't stay in 3rd gear shifting it any higher than bout 8700 rpms. Jerry refused to believe it till everyone threw those $8000 magnesium 5 speeds in the scrap piles @ there shops..
& nobody ran 1 again.. & Ronnie was over 70+ then.

We would likely 'Need' a clean 1/2+ mile ..
w/no interruptions ..
for about an hour..
to put that 82-D4 thru our own piss poor testing. & Id still fall short of what a real boat rower could do to it.
Nicholson wasnt bad w/a top loader or anything else either. He could do ok ..better than ok. Better than I ever be.
And Tim Gross is prolly the only guy I know who could get past a redline lockout w/1 .

Nobody had the ballz to manually shift a low 6 second/ high 5 sec. car but Gross-Burger.
That skinny SOB could really make the other 15 qualifiers in the field, all look like a buncha wuss's w/there air shifters.
Once Grossy was done, & just outta money.
No more manually shifted trannys in Fuel..
<nitro>
truely yankin a lever drivin 210+mph...
doing high 5 second -1/4 mile passes ..
After he retired/aka went broke.. it was never the same nor never to be seen done again.

We 'raise a glass' to u "Gross-burger."
U didnt hav brass balls. Way To soft.
Those things were Tungsten-alloyed w/Beryllium & heat treated to like '65 Rockwell on the C scale.

We will all get use to that long 3rd gear we disdain now... i suspect. We bought these cars to drive. Not race.
Nuff said.
Sponsored