Sponsored

MT-82 owners, what if Tremec is offered in 2021MY?

ravenofpoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
17 GT PP here. I haven’t really had a bad time with the mt-82, though to be honest I hadn’t intended to buy a manual. I went to look at a rather vague ad car from a local dealer and before I knew it I was driving my 17 home. I used to be one of those die hard only a stick kind of guys. I’ve gotten older and rowing gears in traffic sucks. The autotragic comes with flappy paddles and apparently doesn’t suck anymore. I don’t intend to buy another stick when I buy my next. That being said I have some thoughts on the subject where ford is concerned.

I’ve owned two manual mustangs, a 13 and a 17. Both gear boxes functioned well enough but they as a pair Have been the least refined, clunky, noisey pieces of crap I’ve ever driven. I’ve owned a few old beat to shit trucks over the years as well. My 98 s10 with bad synchros and 160k on it shifted smoother. My 13 mustang on the other hand fought me going into gears and clunked like metal on metal going into 2nd. My 17 has a vibrating hesitation going into 2nd sometimes. It’s like ford intentionally built a transmission just good enough that you can’t sue them for it (oh wait) in hopes that you would just buy the automatic.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
As for the 180° crank engines.
We tried in the 70s. Didn't work
what is it about car engine designers that they apparently refuse to use balance shafts? Does the extra mass completely negate the advantages? It'll be interesting to watch GM with their 5.5l implementation. I don't get why car people keep trying to do the impossible. About 4.2l is the practical limit on that technology IMO.

I would have gladly paid $1300 to put a MT82D4 or 3160 in my F150.

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
It’s like ford intentionally built a transmission just good enough that you can’t sue them for it (oh wait) in hopes that you would just buy the automatic.[/QUOTE]
^^^^
Im not gonna argue any point you made.
Why FoMoCo needed the German's to design a Ford trans for yrs now??

& apparently there is talk of a New p.n. of the #MT82 in the design phases over in Gertags Deutschland facility's.
( cutting to chase.. I think its a 7 speed for New Bronco w/granny low..just guessing)

Its believed (since how many other Ford veh get an mt82 that justify's another update??..none??

The Mock- Mach 1 is what comes to mind as the logical reasoning behind yet another "revision" besides possibly the new to market Bronco.
Which will in some models require a "granny" so Im expecting a 7 speed Gertrag for the Topless Retro thst every Ford off road enthusiasts can not wait to see on the dealership lots.

So my point is that the new p.n.# that leaked from engineering in Germany is not likely a Mock 1 tranny at all. But a Bronco .. but i dont know.

Craig Liberty's.. well.. His father Joe. Spent his entire life developing his lifes wrk. I remember being at Indy in 1974 on Manufacturers Row.
Everyone was checking out something New 1 both down & Joe "Liberty" was watchin this kid roll thru his clutchles shift gates on his table inside the booth.

He even felt the need to explain to a kid clearly not old enuff to buy 1 how he had been working on this dual cluster shaft trans w/ a nice "gate" that only required a 2 direction shift pattern.
Pull bk for 2nd. The push straight forward for 3rd.
The straight bk again to 4th.
Oh..did I mention you did not lift off the throttle cuz it was clutchless.

Fast forward decades..& Every NHRA Pro Stk car in last 20 yrs has used that brand or Leonard Longs G-Force tranny which is also a really nice pcs. More popular w/the 1000-1200hp small block guys. As Libertys dual countershaft design is clearly much stronger by design.

Just a bit of a beotch to change ratios on the fly.
U can but mist guys just own 5 complete trannys at any day of the season.
As u gotta hav $100,000 in inventory of cluster shafts if ur a real player...
( & cant chg just 1 pair of gear sets to get 1 chg in ratio in say 3rd gear... as it affects the others down the line to a degree ).
U may meed to chg just 1 particular gear ratio to get over something like a bump and or past the 'concrete to asphalt' transitions

- as nearly every professional race track has a spot or 2-

where moving a shift point up/down ~140 -~200 rpms (estimate obviously) moves ur gear chg the 20 ft or so needed between say spot to get a # 1-3 qualifier run in..
vs same exact car on same pass w/o moving shift point putting u now @ a #11-#14 type qualifying position.. on any given day.

Since all of us who live in reality know we do not own real race cars w/out Gt's, Bullitts, & even GT350s.. These daily drivers which can be rsn around a race coarse or drag strip are done for entertainment purposes only.

As ive said a hundred times.
U cannot buy a real race car from the zmUSA big 3 that has a 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty.

Thats not reality .. thats fantasy thinking fir even the gt350 owners w/$10k carbon wheels.
My own race car has $10k in carbon brakes.
& there just drag race carbon carbon brakes.
The best brand ...yes...but still very tgin rotors and only $10k or so for 4 corners..
Pads are several grand to do 4 corners.

Id be lying if I didnt daydream of us all together to get about 25 - 40 mt82-d4 trannys bundled..
& get them;
Isotropoically REM FINISHED internally,
CRY-O THE SHIFT FORKS,
CERAMIC ANGULAR CONTACT BALL BEARINGS ON MAIN load bearing "bearings" w/ an improved Pitch circle on them....
& do some EDM LIGHTENED GEAR SETS thru-out.

& Hav Long boyz build a us a REAL Road coarse shifter & a Shifter that can go
""straight forward and straing bk"" per every gear chg..
Most for the drag strip... but 1 that we can easily swap to the
" H & 1/2" typical 6spd pattern...
we all know to be the 'reality option' when we dont live under a rock... technologically.

If playing king For a day. Id rather Ford hav put 60lb ft more Torque in my Bullitt @ the sacrifice of 60 hp.
Then get my ratios dealt with accordingly to the added grunt.
& yes. Fix the ratios so 5th is 1:1..
& hav just 1-- O/D ratio for highway on our 6 spds.. If CAFE standards & other regulatory chit wasnt a part of car manufacturers lives..
We all be daily driving very diff production cars than what we hav available to us now.

Prolly wont hav many cars like our S550 v8s or the upcoming 650s if the Battery car builders get there way. I dont care how fast any Tesla is.
It may be cool in its iwn way. But its not gonna ever be what our crash box DOHC pwr'd cars are even today. I love my Bullitt more than nearly anything else I own. Even my tube chassis street beater pump gas '53 gmc @ 650 hp..

Its quite hard to truely get thru 1st- 4 gears at redline shifts... & not either go end up in jail before long....
or possibly end up hitting that unsuspecting &
1/2 way 'unaware lady'.. in her house coat, checking her mail box in the morning..

as we go by her ,
w/a dually/semi in other lane riding the yellow line .. as he should be...
& we are @ 120+mph & just bout to roll into 4th gear l..

whens she is closing the mailbox door & looking fir her electric bill the ole man ran up w/his Grow light in bk bedroom..
while Im on my own personal "Road coarse" commute funded by the tax payers of coarse.

Ok. Bk to reality.
'Lets do SOMETHING...Even if its wrong..'
Still better than doing nothing.. & dreaming of what could hav been.
Later gents... im late..

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The new Bronco actually shows gears 1-6 and R on the shift knob just like on our Mustangs... but with an 'L' left-down.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
^^^
I think we will all get used too the ratios sooner or later.
If not. A ring & pinion change @ some point.

I am definitely getting a 4.09:1 gear change. The are way to long...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
'L' sounds like a granny gear for offroad situations.
Yep; that's exactly what it is. The point being it's not exactly a 7-sp manual tranny, although technically, it is. Curious to see a cut-out of it, since all other true 7-sp trannies are based on DCTs. I don't think that one is.
Sponsored