Sponsored

MT-82 High RPM Shifting Issues

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Quick Backstory.....

2015 GT, PP, approx 60K miles on the Odo. Clutch went bad, along with master and slave cylinder. Drove it easy for the first 500 miles to let the clutch break in. The guy at the shop claims it's a "higher performance Ford Clutch" No idea what that is cause I can't find a P/N on it or anything.

Mods are..
Intake/PBD Tune & Exhaust
Steeda Short Shifter (The Cheaper of the two options they sell)

Now.. My issue is at higher RPMs, usually about 5/6K shifting it's extremly difficult to shift, noteably going from 4th to 5th being the most difficult.

Could this be an install issue? Is it the infamous "lockout" i've read around here? Looking for thoughts/idea to go forward. Should I have a different trusted mechanic look at it? Should I order the Blowfish Racing Bracket?

TIA !

V
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
The guy at the shop should be able to show you the make and part numbers that he installed. If not you have no idea what he installed and he is not reputable.

TImeyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang EB HPP
The guy at the shop should be able to show you the make and part numbers that he installed. If not you have no idea what he installed and he is not reputable.
I've got a 21 HPP with the same transmission....it won't let me shift into 3rd above 5k. VERY frustrating

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I've got a 21 HPP with the same transmission....it won't let me shift into 3rd above 5k. VERY frustrating
EB has a different transmission and a different clutch/flywheel than the GT. Still, yours should not be doing that.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Ive not had issues with 6500+ rpm shifts going from 1-2-3.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have a blowfish bracket on mine, and have no issues with a 7K powershift, and I'm still running the factory installed clutch. I would not trust the mechanic who did not show you the box the new clutch came in and the old parts after the job was done.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a blowfish bracket on mine, and have no issues with a 7K powershift, and I'm still running the factory installed clutch. I would not trust the mechanic who did not show you the box the new clutch came in and the old parts after the job was done.
He did show me the beat up parts, they were shot. I haven't gotten a chance to review the paperwork to see if p/n were on there. He did mention he picked it up directly from a dealer who I am going to call to confirm.

Thanks!

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Heyyyy, sorry to hijack this older thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with high RPM shifts into 5th gear. This could have always been there for me, but just experienced this at VIR yesterday since I needed 5th gear on the long back straight getting around 135mph. Shifting to 5th each time, it just didn't feel as smooth going in and thus I could not shift as quickly.

I've seen mentions of a blowfish bracket - can that or something similar actually help this problem? Did you ever solve your issue?

All other shifts were smooth and I could transition quickly. I have the stock shifter.

OP
OP

vpec13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Heyyyy, sorry to hijack this older thread, but I'm experiencing the same problem with high RPM shifts into 5th gear. This could have always been there for me, but just experienced this at VIR yesterday since I needed 5th gear on the long back straight getting around 135mph. Shifting to 5th each time, it just didn't feel as smooth going in and thus I could not shift as quickly.

I've seen mentions of a blowfish bracket - can that or something similar actually help this problem? Did you ever solve your issue?

All other shifts were smooth and I could transition quickly. I have the stock shifter.
I ended up selling it. I believe blowfish doesn't make the brackets anymore so you'd have to find another one.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I have a 2019 Bullitt and I didn’t have any issues getting into gear at 7800 rpm, until my clutch started to go at just 5900 miles, (there’s more to that story as to why the clutch went early though). I do believe that one of the things that allowed me to shift at such a high rpm was the fact that I have an N2MB Wot Box on the car that kills the ignition during No Lift Shifting. When I had the NLS kill time set to the default 350 milliseconds, it worked the best. I tried lowering it to 200 milliseconds and that kill time was too short. That’s also when I ground the gears on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts (again, I think this may have been because of clutch issues). I will be pulling my transmission soon for a rebuild with several enhancements and a new clutch. Moving forward, I will probably leave the NLS kill time set at 350 milliseconds to help the tranny live a happier life.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Lpx-hd in my gt and 8k power shifts all day everyday with no issues. On the stock clutch I had to shift slow at smooth to avoid issues with 3rd gear lock out (and once or twice 2nd gear). Not very common to hear about 5th gear lock out though.
Sponsored