Sponsored

Motorcraft MT82 XL-18 Additive

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I was only looking for the MT-82 D4 (2018+), but good work :D. Okay, so looks like no additive is needed for the D4 tranny. Many thanks. Now just have to decide which fluid to use, but might stick to OEM, at least until I'm sure my tranny has no issues. The BG SS-II is a gear oil, vs a DCT oil, so it'd be pretty obvious I have the wrong fluid in there. Plus no noticeable differences with the D4 version, so not worth the gamble IMO. And if Redline is telling me not to put their DCT-F in the MT-82, not going to do that either. :Might do the same thing with the Torsen; just put the Motorcraft fluid and friction modifier. And I could try something different later on if I feel the need for that. But now will have to look into which sealer to use on the drain and fill differential plugs, and 2 pumps for each fluid. Any ideas where to get those? Thx.
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In my car the trans shifts like butter other than the tiniest of nibbles with some gears that mostly goes away hot, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it lol

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Not sure what's the deal with that additive. My 2019 manual says not to add anything, and then Motorcraft comes up with one. Hmmm. Maybe it's just intended for pre-D4 versions??? My car has the D4. It'd be nice to know for which years it's recommended.
In the repair manual you will find the D4 trans requires 2.7l of dual clutch fluid and xl-18 additive for new synchros as a break in aid. I've checked this my 2020. I hate the nibble into 3rd.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
In the repair manual you will find the D4 trans requires 2.7l of dual clutch fluid and xl-18 additive for new synchros as a break in aid. I've checked this my 2020. I hate the nibble into 3rd.
I used to get a nible even with the xl18 fluid, but after some miles it has gone away.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Made in China ? I suggest you look at your Magna PT MT82 ID label next time ur under your 18+ car. I already checked my GETRAG MT82 ID label. Nothing Chinese about it. Sterling Heights Michigan.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The manual on my 2019 Bullitt doesn't say absolutely anything about that additive. Are you sure Ford puts it in our 2019+ MT-82s? I'm going to change the fluid (along with the Torsen) at the next oil change, at around 6K miles (4K so far). I'm probably going to go with Motul DCT-F fluid (and also Motul diff fluid), which shouldn't need any additional additives. But if I was to use the OEM fluid again, should I add that additive? Thx.

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
The manual on my 2019 Bullitt doesn't say absolutely anything about that additive. Are you sure Ford puts it in our 2019+ MT-82s? I'm going to change the fluid (along with the Torsen) at the next oil change, at around 6K miles (4K so far). I'm probably going to go with Motul DCT-F fluid (and also Motul diff fluid), which shouldn't need any additional additives. But if I was to use the OEM fluid again, should I add that additive? Thx.
The note in the service manual has an astrics beside it stating the additive is only needed when new synchros are installed. Take from that what you will. If said transmission is fairly new I'd be inclined to try adding it with a service of the factory fluid.

MaxOctane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
The note in the service manual has an astrics beside it stating the additive is only needed when new synchros are installed. Take from that what you will. If said transmission is fairly new I'd be inclined to try adding it with a service of the factory fluid.
I've been doing research on this also as I'm getting ready to change out my fluids and came across the same thing.
Screenshot 2020-12-03 123934.png

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If said transmission is fairly new I'd be inclined to try adding it with a service of the factory fluid.
After being aware what the service manual says, I might add it if I decide to stick with OEM fluid. But I have a question for you guys. At 6K miles, the synchros should be already broken in the way I've been driving my car (lots of shifting, and always treating tranny as a sequential, always going up and down thru the gears one by one). So the question is if there could be any negative effect of adding that additive once the synchros are broken-in. If no possible side effect, I'd then put it in for sure. My second question is if I go with the Motul DCT-F, should I add it too, or it wouldn't be necessary? Thank you for the heads up guys.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
So the question is if there could be any negative effect of adding that additive once the synchros are broken-in.
Possibly greater wear ? Dunno. Myself, I just went with Royal Purple Synchromesh.

Sponsored

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
I have 3000kms on mine and will be servicing the fluid with the motorcraft fluid and xl-18. I believe, and will be verifying this first: the D4 version has a fiction material faced blocker ring. If so the modifier aids in it ability to grab the cone side of the gear. I mainly want to see what comes out of the trans to determine its condition giving its notchy feeling and nibble. It seems some people are lucky to be spared these flaws.
Will it damage anything? I don't see how, I'd be putting back what was already there or should have been.......
But I would not mix xl-18 with any thing other than motorcraft product. If using aftermarket formula than use just that.

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016
Hi i have a mustang gt mt82 2016, it has done 46k miles and never changed the diff oil neither the transmission oil. Is it ok to replace it now ? Or will there be any issues regarding to that ?

Milton

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sqeekywheel
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gt premium PP1
Hi i have a mustang gt mt82 2016, it has done 46k miles and never changed the diff oil neither the transmission oil. Is it ok to replace it now ? Or will there be any issues regarding to that ?
No issues should arise from changing t
If there are no problems such as gear or bearing damage pre existing, changing the fluid now would not create any new issues at all. It's not like changing automatic trans fluid on a very high milage transmission. In fact it will help overall component health.

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016
[QUOTE

If there are no problems such as gear or bearing damage pre existing, changing the fluid now would not create any new issues at all. It's not like changing automatic trans fluid on a very high milage transmission. In fact it will help overall component health.
[/QUOTE]
No issues should arise from changing t

i have noises coming from the transmission on high gears low rpm ( low speed ) for example if i go on 3rd gear with 20mph or 4th gear or 5th or sixth on low speed i hear as if the transmission was sitting next to me, it goes into gear and everything but i hear loud grinding noise. It does not grind when u put it in gears but after i release the clutch it happens. I have an rst clutch i dont know if this noise is normal with that clutch. This is my biggest problem im facing right now. Took the car to many mechanics and everyone spits on a finding. One of them told me weak synchronizer, other idiot told me differential, other one told me its absolutely normal. I dont know what to do rn. Remember if i was in right gear and right rpm no issues no noises.
Sponsored