Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hello Everyone!

If anyone kept up with my last post on the car not being able to go into any gear at all, I ended up getting a whole new transmission pack from Ford. Anything involving the transmission, minus the driveshaft.

After getting the car back, it drove better than before for sure. However there was still some issues with shifting and getting into gear sometimes. Ex: When standing still you would get that resistance to go into first or reverse, 1-2-3 being difficult at red line shifting. Just the over all experience with the transmission being noisy as well.

After adding the additive, I didn't really expect much out of due to my experience with this transmission. Come to my surprise it really helped change things. 1-2-3 no more resistance, no more resistance on going into 1st and reverse, less noise, and the transmission feels better all around. If you have a MT-82 this a MUST RECOMMENDATION!

You can purchase this from steeda if you like, and if you get other products from them you can use Moniker10 for 10% off.

https://www.steeda.com/motorcraft-xl-18-mustang-mt82-transmission-additive
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I also noticed that product on their site, when I bought the full jacking rails. Called them up, and the guy said that Ford issued a TSB recommending that fluid to ALL MT-82 owners. Thing is I searched EVERYWHERE, and found absolutely nothing. And the owner's manual of my 2019 Bullitt doesn't list that additive either (only the FM for the differential). So what's the deal with this additive? And do any of you think Ford might be using it already on the newer D4 transmissions? Maybe that's why the D4s don't report any improvements after switching to BG Synchro Shift II fluid, but who knows. My tranny shifts fine, even when cold, but it still has a notchiness on the 1-2 shift, and a 'nibble' on the 2-3 shift, that I'd like to get rid of.

Finally, I'm closing in on 1K miles, where I want to change all driveline fluids, to get rid of both assembly and break-in crap. And was thinking of getting either the BG or Redline DCTF fluids (with no extra additive), but could also consider the OEM DCT fluid with that additive. Suggestions welcome :D.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I also noticed that product on their site, when I bought the full jacking rails. Called them up, and the guy said that Ford issued a TSB recommending that fluid to ALL MT-82 owners. Thing is I searched EVERYWHERE, and found absolutely nothing. And the owner's manual of my 2019 Bullitt doesn't list that additive either (only the FM for the differential). So what's the deal with this additive? And do any of you think Ford might be using it already on the newer D4 transmissions? Maybe that's why the D4s don't report any improvements after switching to BG Synchro Shift II fluid, but who knows. My tranny shifts fine, even when cold, but it still has a notchiness on the 1-2 shift, and a 'nibble' on the 2-3 shift, that I'd like to get rid of.

Finally, I'm closing in on 1K miles, where I want to change all driveline fluids, to get rid of both assembly and break-in crap. And was thinking of getting either the BG or Redline DCTF fluids (with no extra additive), but could also consider the OEM DCT fluid with that additive. Suggestions welcome :D.
Ford does not add this from factory. I also changed all my factory fluids, except for my transmission. I just got a brand new transmission put in by ford and I added the XL-18 into the mix and it shifts just right. This is somewhat of remedy to this transmission. It’s pretty sad that we are stuck with these. The MT-82 isn’t a bad transmission in theory. When the coyote came out, it was in direct competition with the e92 M3 which also used a MT-82. Only difference is that the BMW version is made in Germany with high quality internals, and ours.... well it’s made in China....

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I owned an E92 M3 V8 manual, and I honestly like this tranny better than that one. I can shift to 1st while rolling, something that was almost impossible on the M3, especially cold. And yes, rev-matching too. It was rubbery as hell, so a lot less satisfying to drive than my Bullitt, so I prefer my Chinese-built tranny, than the German one that car had. Ha ha. Not sure it was an MT-82, but it was a Getrag for sure.

At any rate, I don't have any issues shifting now, but would like to get rid of the notchiness and 'nibble' I mentioned. Do you think that additive helps with that? And finally, when you added it, did you notice or checked where the fluid level was before adding the additive? It's supposed to be right at the bottom of the fill plug hole, but others say not necessarily. Thank you.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
The MT-82 isn’t a bad transmission in theory. When the coyote came out, it was in direct competition with the e92 M3 which also used a MT-82. Only difference is that the BMW version is made in Germany with high quality internals, and ours.... well it’s made in China....
The E9X M3 does not use a MT-82, no BMW has ever used the MT-82. In fact, the E9X M3 doesn't even use a Getrag for the manual, it uses a ZF GS6-53BZ.

From what I understand, Land Rover Defenders have a variant of the MT-82 which is built in Germany, the Chinese plant that builds our transmissions is a joint venture between Ford and Getrag.

Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I have a 2019 GT and I've looked all through my owners manual and it doesn't say anything about this xl18 or even adding any kind of additive to the mt82 fluid. I would think that if it was in there from the factory they would tell us to add it at fluid change. I did find a few you tube vids and site talking about NOT putting additive in the later model MT82s. Seems it cause leaking issues. But, for those that do want to go ahead and add it I found Steeda to be overpriced by an average of 10 dollars. I found several site at 24 bucks and not 35 bucks. Wrench on.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have a 2019 GT and I've looked all through my owners manual and it doesn't say anything about this xl18 or even adding any kind of additive to the mt82 fluid. I would think that if it was in there from the factory they would tell us to add it at fluid change. I did find a few you tube vids and site talking about NOT putting additive in the later model MT82s. Seems it cause leaking issues. But, for those that do want to go ahead and add it I found Steeda to be overpriced by an average of 10 dollars. I found several site at 24 bucks and not 35 bucks. Wrench on.
Ford doesn’t say a lot of things. Just like how they say the bbq tick is normal...

I used steeda because they had the cheapest shipping. So pricing came to more or less the same.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I owned an E92 M3 V8 manual, and I honestly like this tranny better than that one. I can shift to 1st while rolling, something that was almost impossible on the M3, especially cold. And yes, rev-matching too. It was rubbery as hell, so a lot less satisfying to drive than my Bullitt, so I prefer my Chinese-built tranny, than the German one that car had. Ha ha. Not sure it was an MT-82, but it was a Getrag for sure.

At any rate, I don't have any issues shifting now, but would like to get rid of the notchiness and 'nibble' I mentioned. Do you think that additive helps with that? And finally, when you added it, did you notice or checked where the fluid level was before adding the additive? It's supposed to be right at the bottom of the fill plug hole, but others say not necessarily. Thank you.
Mine was filled from dealer, and when I checked it was full. This liquid going in is not thick at all, it’s quite thin compared to transmission fluid. This removed the resistance from going into gear and made the transmission quieter for me. As far as the nibble I don’t really feel it much.

From experience this really helped me and it makes shifting much better. This combo feels better than doing the BG synchromesh. That’s what I had on my previous transmission.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
the E9X M3 doesn't even use a Getrag for the manual, it uses a ZF GS6-53BZ
Maybe later on, but my 2008 (first year out), had a Getrag. I saw 'Getrag' with my own eyes when changing the oil. But I figured it wasn't an MT-82, since that's a Ford-Getrag deal, and no way BMW would have bought that on its cars. In fact, I bet that probably was the reason they switched to ZF, which happens to be a superior transmission. Wish mine was a ZF :D.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Mine was filled from dealer, and when I checked it was full. This liquid going in is not thick at all, it’s quite thin compared to transmission fluid. This removed the resistance from going into gear and made the transmission quieter for me. As far as the nibble I don’t really feel it much.

From experience this really helped me and it makes shifting much better. This combo feels better than doing the BG synchromesh. That’s what I had on my previous transmission.
the dealer replaced shift forks under warranty, so I'm assuming they drained BG syncro fluid and put new Motorcraft fluid back in the transmission ? Is this available at the dealer, can I ask them to add this additive ?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
the dealer replaced shift forks under warranty, so I'm assuming they drained BG syncro fluid and put new Motorcraft fluid back in the transmission ? Is this available at the dealer, can I ask them to add this additive ?
Yes, you can order it from the dealer. Not sure if they will keep it in stock as not a lot of them know about it for some reason, but it is a motorcraft product from Ford.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Not sure what's the deal with that additive. My 2019 manual says not to add anything, and then Motorcraft comes up with one. Hmmm. Maybe it's just intended for pre-D4 versions??? My car has the D4. It'd be nice to know for which years it's recommended.

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm with ya on that. I'm just going to go with what the manual says. Besides I changed mine and put in royal purple fluid and it says its for the MT82. Shifts good with no complaints, and that is on the track and road.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
If you go by what companies are selling, you will soon replace most of the parts on your car. The old saying is "if it aint broke".....human nature makes us react when somebody says they had this or that problem and if we try hard enough, we will have the same problems.

Elp_jc, most people report the tick after the first oil change........mine was quiet as a mouse until after that first oil change....actually it wasn't the first, as the Roush Supercharger was installed with 10 miles on the clock and 15w50 added at that time. It will be interesting to hear what you have to report a few hundred miles after the change.

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I did a little big of googling myself and found these:

2011 TSB: https://californialemonlawgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/TSB-11-11-01.pdf
Note the part where it says "The use of friction modifiers or other fluid additives is not recommended since although they may provide some immediate improvement in cold shift effort, they are likely to result in long term degradation of the synchronizers."

OK. No additives. Got it!

2013 Fluid chart: https://www.allfordmustangs.com/threads/new-mt82-transmission-additive-from-motorcraft-xl-18.531641/ Cannot find am actual copy of this old chart but the poster quotes: "For total fluid change add 27mL of XL-18, MT-82 Transmission Additive."

Huh but I thought you said additives were bad?!

2020 current fluid chart: http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/mantrans.pdf

No mention of additives there. No mention of additives in your manual either.

Not sure what's the deal with that additive. My 2019 manual says not to add anything (...)
I'm with ya on that. I'm just going to go with what the manual says. (...)
Bingo that's what I'd do. No additives. Sounds to me that they came up with additives as a temporary band-aid and later recanted.
Sponsored