:gossip:
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Says the guy who does not know what 'area under the curve' is. :lol:
You are really something special, if you weren't so annoying you might even be kind of entertaining. Go ahead, look up "area under the curve". I'll wait.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
This is a FANTASTIC read! I was having accessibility issues getting the article few hrs ago, but I finally was able to read it. Wow...wow!!

This confirmed some of the other stuff I was reading when the GT350 IM first started getting swapped onto the stock Coyote mill. Seems like the Ford calibration is in fact quite conservative with respect to redline, and just gets better the more you're willing to raise the rev limiter. Contrastly, I was also equally impressed with the quality of the Power Pack 3 tune in terms of livability and drivability. Perhaps there are some gains to be had with a higher rev limit, but the fact that you can live with this thing every day, drive it every day, and not make compromised to drivability is something that shouldn't be ignored. Not saying that 3rd party tunes and/or tuners can't do the same thing, but that is to say often the focus is on the dyno and the raw numbers less conversation about what it's like to drive it and live with it day to day in normal driving scenarios.

I was leaning towards the Pack 2 (and still might go that route) because I just don't take it past that sweet spot RPM range Pack 2 was designed to fill. However, I can now say I'm a bit more educated about how Pack 3 behaves, and its nice to know that I don't loose anything in the lower/midrange level should I decide to go that route, or go Pack 2 first and then graduate to Pack 3 in the future. I remember when people did the Boss 302 swap the same could not be said.

My biggest decision is now really down to if it's worth having to really ring the engine out in Pack 3 to get the benefit and justification for cost vs in Pack 2 having something great for daily driving in normal circumstances but leaves power on the table when you wanna lean on it. Ah...decisions decisions!

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
It also shows how good the stock air box is. Now image if they had removed the "carbon trap" from the stock air box which is proven to improve flow it would be even closer to the PP2 results.

I tried 350 CAI, PMAS CAI and stock CAI. Stock was best (within 5HP on dyno) and same quarter mile terminals.

But a great round up. :)

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After reading through this I'm thinking more and more that PP1 is the steal of the group for a daily driver (at least in my case)
Meh. I understand your point, but I gotta still say its Pack 2. You getting the most in the daily driver sweet spot of the curve, but still delivering more power even above that. It doesn't do what Pack 3 does, but its better than stock when you ring it out. Pack 2 goes the farthest in the 'muscle' category.

Where Pack 1 is great is on the wallet. But I would say if you got the scratch for Pack 1, hold onto it until you can get the scratch for Pack 2. It offers everything Pack 1 does, except more of it and nothing lost in return. You can't say the same with Pack 2 to Pack 3. In that case your loosing some grunt from Pack 2 for gains up top.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Idk man, look how close those two are up to 4k rpm. I know PP2 is gonna be better above that, but for where I spend 95% of my time, I think PP1 may be the way to go. All of these look like great options depending on what you want.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I see some folks saying they don't like the GT350 because it doesn't feel as good under 6k, yet this setup is designed to push to 7500 or so. This isn't a 302 Windsor that redlines at 6k. This 5.0 is designed to rev, so why are people satisfied with operating at 3/4 throttle?

I can agree with the sentiment that real world results matter, and I'd love to see the PP2 v. PP3 go head to head. I've got my money on the latter.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Thank you for all the hard work OP, great data and very well written.

If you don't think a car is faster with a gt350 mani, go race one. When I added the GT350 mani, I already had headers and steeda CAI. Once I added the the GT350 mani, the was faster through every gear, including 1st. At the strip, I'm dumping the clutch at 6k, so if there was any loss down low, I don't notice it. Even around town, I noticed zero loss down low. Shifting needs to happen around 7700-7800. For those of you who need that power down low to feel fast, buy a camaro. There's a reason why FBO S550's wax the slightly heavier 5th gens that are FBO and cammed. FBO S550 vs FBO 6th gen is a drivers race.

I can't provide proper data for ET gains with the GT350 as I was running street tires before the swap. I can say I picked up 3-4mph trap speeds on average with a max of 5mph.

If you think the stock mani is faster race me bitch :)

Sponsored

Einar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP pack
what about a PP2 with a closed air box like Airaid or Injen Evolution?

Would that not work even better than with the open GT350 intake.

Or maybe the PP2 tuning would not work with other intake or what?

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Idk man, look how close those two are up to 4k rpm. I know PP2 is gonna be better above that, but for where I spend 95% of my time, I think PP1 may be the way to go. All of these look like great options depending on what you want.
I am thinking the same as you. Anyone know if the PP1 still needs to be installed by ASE tech to maintain warranty? If not, then the PP2 is roughly twice the price when adding install for a small gain over PP1. I was planning on PP2 until I read this article and now I have to think hard if I really need the extra from PP2.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what about a PP2 with a closed air box like Airaid or Injen Evolution?

Would that not work even better than with the open GT350 intake.

Or maybe the PP2 tuning would not work with other intake or what?
The tune is not so much tied to the CAI, its tied to the throttle body. That GT350 TB requires a lot to be tuned correctly.

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am thinking the same as you. Anyone know if the PP1 still needs to be installed by ASE tech to maintain warranty?
All the packs have to be installed by a certified tech to maintain warranty.

If not, then the PP2 is roughly twice the price when adding install for a small gain over PP1. I was planning on PP2 until I read this article and now I have to think hard if I really need the extra from PP2.
You also have to factor in the PP2 has the GT350 TB. I look at it like this: not only am I getting more output than the PP1, but the PP2 offers a much better upgrade path to the GT350 IM if by chance you want to go that route. There is nothing about the PP1 tune that is upgradeable to the PP2. At least with the PP2 route, you have a reasonable upgrade path. It just wont involve the PP3 tune, it would have to be an aftermarket one.

jcart953

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
I see some folks saying they don't like the GT350 because it doesn't feel as good under 6k, yet this setup is designed to push to 7500 or so. This isn't a 302 Windsor that redlines at 6k. This 5.0 is designed to rev, so why are people satisfied with operating at 3/4 throttle?
If your manual your probably more prone to revving your engine out then an Auto. On automatics probably not as much unless your a drag racer. Not to mention the paddle shifters suck IMO and if you do alot of city or have alot of bumper to bumper driving you may not get a chance to rev it out...

In any case it probably depends on your circumstance.
Sponsored