Sponsored

More Official 2015 Mustang Images (Clearest Yet)

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Start Saving! It's the same price as a BRZ and you're getting a lot more car.

Agreed. While the BR-Z is a great purist sports coupe with razor sharp handling, it's tough to spend that kind of money on a 200hp car. Now if Subaru ever decided to put out an STI version with 240-270 hp, that would be a car worth looking at.

But absent that choice, a V6 or EB4 Mustang is going to be a lot more car performance wise for a similar price, and the addition of IRS and maybe better weight distribution in the EB4 is going to narrow the handling gap considerably.
Sponsored

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Sorry, had to be done!!!!!:eyebulge:
Thank you for pointing out the chassis performance target. So, the Stang now appears to be a credible budget 4-series--that's a huge compliment. After five decades, it deserves to be a world class performer, and still be able to fit an average budget. The last Boss came close, albeit with juvenile graphics, with nearly the finesse of the finer killer European sports sedans. The new car shows potential to be a worldbeater.

Radeyo

Threads
Reaction score
The BRZ is just an overpriced, underpowered car that handles well. :/

Stanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F30
Thank you for pointing out the chassis performance target. So, the Stang now appears to be a credible budget 4-series--that's a huge compliment. After five decades, it deserves to be a world class performer, and still be able to fit an average budget. The last Boss came close, albeit with juvenile graphics, with nearly the finesse of the finer killer European sports sedans. The new car shows potential to be a worldbeater.
:clap2:

The 435 rates at 300hp (we know BMW undershoots these numbers). Given that it tops out at ~$65k with all the MPPK/MPerf bits I've become a little gun shy. Pricing isn't released for the M4, but most speculate it will start in the mid sixties as a "base" car.

I've been holding off on an order to see what the S550 release entails. Can't wait for tomorrow. I hope there are lots of pics/videos and specs, specs, specs.

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The BRZ is just an overpriced, underpowered car that handles well. :/
If it sells (and it does), the price is fine. Given what one has to spend for balanced handling of the BRZ's level elsewhere, the price is fair. The power is merely adequate--I can't call it underpowered--as it's not trying to be a ponycar or muscle car, plus the car is light, which counts for a lot of its brilliant dynamics. Same thing applies to cars like the MX-5--the power is adequate for the marketing mission, but nothing more, and the handling is the big benefit.

All that being said, as much as I like the BRZ, how could I justify buying it when the Mustang exists? It will never have the handling of a BRZ, but few cars do. The Porsche Cayman is the closest benchmark to that kind of handling, so the BRZ is more of a budget Cayman in terms of dynamics. The Mustang will be more in the BMW vein--hopefully the BMWs of a decade ago.

Sponsored

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
I never claim it to be fact, it was just a personal observational statistic. Many car models have flopped badly in sales regardless of the "market research" done by their manufactures. Everything shouldn't be based on that. A car should have enough good looks to be able to sell itself well. The Camaro is currently the best seller in the Muscle car segment (even though it's heavier and slower than the Mustang), and funny enough, the Camaro is the only car out of the 3 that strayed away from the retro-styling the most. It also attracts younger buyers than the Mustang and the Challenger. According to a recent post, I saw that Ford had the option to either go revolutionary or remain stagnant, but they chose the latter based on some of the feed backs they got from some "focus groups", which comprised mostly of members of the Mustang club (Mustang purists). Golly gee, I wonder why this focus groups wanted Ford to keep the same old formula. lol :mullet:
The Camaro, after being withdrawn from the market for several years, has sold well since its reintroduction. But the Mustang outsold the Camaro in November. Whether it retakes the lead for consecutive months remains to be seen.

And the reason Camaro outsold Mustang for the time that it did may have more to do with performance rather than looks. Much has been made of a Camaro ZL1 out-hustling a GT 500 around around a racetrack.

I've taken graduate courses in marketing research and statistics, plus I've worked in the corporate HQ of a major automotive supplier. I don't believe for a second that Ford was short-sighted enough to only conduct focus-groups of old dudes who belong to Mustang owners clubs. Not with so much riding on this new Mustang and how it fits in to FoMoCo's plan to meet its global objectives.

The first step in automotive marketing research is get data which is representative of the entire universe of car buyers, not just a subset of it such as Mustang club members. I would bet real money that Ford also conducted focus groups of car owners who purchased makes and models from the competition. Also, focus groups are just one tool of marketing research. There are many more in the toolbox.

Finally, Alan Mullaly and Bill Ford are nobody's fools. Both of these guys know what they're doing and have impressive records of success to prove it. They are asking nothing less of the Mustang execs who have to answer to them.

Like I said, let's give it time to see how it works out.

Vickstang

magnetic-mustang5.jpg

If this is the base model that is the sexiest base Mustang in a long time
S550 Mustang.jpg

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
I've taken graduate courses in marketing research and statistics, plus I've worked in the corporate HQ of a major automotive supplier. I don't believe for a second that Ford was short-sighted enough to only conduct focus-groups of old dudes who belong to Mustang owners clubs. Not with so much riding on this new Mustang and how it fits in to FoMoCo's plan to meet its global objectives.

The first step in automotive marketing research is get data which is representative of the entire universe of car buyers, not just a subset of it such as Mustang club members. I would bet real money that Ford also conducted focus groups of car owners who purchased makes and models from the competition. Also, focus groups are just one tool of marketing research. There are many more in the toolbox.

Yeah, there is no way a major corporation would conduct market research on a product and not have a sample that is representative of the public at large.

Ford is in business to make profit after all, and I guarantee there is not a single person in Ford corporate that would be content with low volume Mustang sales targeted to a limited demographic. They want to make money on this car, just like any other car in their lineup

Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
magnetic-mustang5.jpg

If this is the base model that is the sexiest base Mustang in a long time
Performance pack i4 probably. White turn signals and different wheels. Looks for the amber turn signals for base model ( auto week leak)

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
The Camaro, after being withdrawn from the market for several years, has sold well since its reintroduction. But the Mustang outsold the Camaro in November. Whether it retakes the lead for consecutive months remains to be seen.

And the reason Camaro outsold Mustang for the time that it did may have more to do with performance rather than looks. Much has been made of a Camaro ZL1 out-hustling a GT 500 around around a racetrack.

Finally, Alan Mullaly and Bill Ford are nobody's fools. Both of these guys know what they're doing and have impressive records of success to prove it. They are asking nothing less of the Mustang execs who have to answer to them.

Like I said, let's give it time to see how it works out.
Fair enough. Time will tell.

ARS

Threads
Reaction score
I was really worried but I think they nailed it. :D Cant wait to see more pics and get more info. Looks like there is going to be plenty to discuss.

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
All in all, now that I have seen some high quality images, I quite like it. Am I going to trade in my Shelby? No, but if the 2019/2020 version is a FI, boulevard monster, then there will be TWO cobras in the garage. And if not, oh well, it is still a very nice looking car!

Well done Ford!!

And lastly, Chaz, you are good! almost ruined the surprise .

Hemisedan

Threads
Reaction score
If you notice the wheels on these pics, they are not staggered. I sure hope the one's on the GT will be at least P275's. I like the style of these though. Looks like the one's off the Boss 302/LS. Man I can't wait til morning!!!
I never claim it to be fact, it was just a personal observational statistic. Many car models have flopped badly in sales regardless of the "market research" done by their manufactures. Everything shouldn't be based on that. A car should have enough good looks to be able to sell itself well. The Camaro is currently the best seller in the Muscle car segment (even though it's heavier and slower than the Mustang), and funny enough, the Camaro is the only car out of the 3 that strayed away from the retro-styling the most. It also attracts younger buyers than the Mustang and the Challenger. According to a recent post, I saw that Ford had the option to either go revolutionary or remain stagnant, but they chose the latter based on some of the feed backs they got from some "focus groups", which comprised mostly of members of the Mustang club (Mustang purists). Golly gee, I wonder why this focus groups wanted Ford to keep the same old formula. lol :mullet:

Why does it sell more? Kind of an easy question: it's Chevrolet, that's why, and they always will on account of being brought up in a GM household in their youth.
Sponsored