Modifying As-Built Data Guide

Discussion in 'DIY' started by AngelDeath, Aug 11, 2016.

1. 300mag

300mag Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
    0   0   0
    I'm no expert but I would check for codes in forscan. forscan pulls all the Ford specific codes.

2. Lbj

Lbj Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 mustang v6 auto Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    I have a question Do I need my as built data guide to make changes in forscan I know what numbers to change & on what line . And I knows the stock numbers I will be changing my differential from 315... to 355

3. 300mag

300mag Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    17 Ecoboost Prem Vert
    0   0   0
    no, forscan displays the as built data and and you change it line that you want. it's always a good idea to download the as built data file from forscan before you make changes(you do every module individually) or at minimum download a copy of your as built data from Ford website in case you need later on.

4. Lbj

Lbj Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 mustang v6 auto Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    Thanks 300mag I just making sure before I do anything

5. Grimmer

Grimmer Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Manual
    0   0   0
    Which model / part number are you using? Not sure I want to use a Bluetooth module.

6. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What about OBDII->HDMI? I ask because I already have one from my SCT X4, so if I could save myself the $20, that'd be nice

7. MakStang

MakStang Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Makis
    Vehicle(s):
    A 2017 miraculous little beast
    0   0   0
  8. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Gearshifter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
    0   0   0
    Nothing wrong with the bluetooth module

9. Grimmer

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Manual
    0   0   0
    No windows laptop with Bluetooth... Would have to buy another piece of hardware to add it.

10. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Fastback Premium EB/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
    Rating:
    100%
    2   0   0
    Has anyone figured out how to access or change any of the 6R80 or 10R80 auto trans logic via Forscan? Possible, not possible?

11. Grimmer

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Manual
    0   0   0
    Is it possible to set a drive mode other than "normal" to be the default mode?

12. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT350
    0   0   0
    It's in my original thread on the topic under "I have a DTC now": https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ometer-error-no-flash-or-tune-required.67564/

You'll have to do a Sync 3 swap. You can enable the stuff in the ABS and IPC all you want, but it's for naught if you don't have the Mode toggle on your FCIM (aka radio bezel.)

13. jake_zx2

jake_zx2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Kona Blue 2018 GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Nobody has figured it out yet if there is. I'm gonna guess not though

14. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT350
    0   0   0
    Probably would require a reflash of the IPC with custom firmware.

jake_zx2 likes this.
  15. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Gearshifter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
    0   0   0
    As-Built data simply tells each module what vehicle it is installed in and which part of it's programming it should use. You cannot create options that don't exist. You can only customize options that may not have been available together.

For instance: my 2008 F250 XL came optioned with the power equipment group (power windows & locks), but not the advanced security group (remote keyless entry). All of the hardware between a vehicle with and without remote keyless entry is identical. The only difference is the As-Built data that the modules are programmed with. I changed the programming in the Smart Junction Box to match an XLT with the advanced security group and remote keyless entry works.

I would not, however, be able to program my amber marker lamps to come on with the ignition because there was no option in the super dutys that allowed that.

16. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT350
    0   0   0
    That's not really true. There are plenty of examples of options that don't come on any factory car being available, as well as features on other Ford vehicles that end up in the Mustang module software.

The crux of the matter is whether the software engineers put an on/off switch (or something similar) for a feature that they wrote into the module firmware in the as-built.

A good example of this is the double-honk reminder when you exit the vehicle with the key. It can be turned off, but no factory vehicle comes with it turned off.

Another good example is that you can set the power point timeout to arbitrary values. The cars all come standard with a 1:14:44 timeout, but you can set it to anything from one second to 18 hours.

17. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Gearshifter

Vehicle(s):
    2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
    0   0   0
    Not in the US market anyway. Many of the option combinations that "don't exist" actually do exist in international markets (and as you stated other vehicle lines that use the same hardware).

18. Spart

Spart Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    17 GT350
    0   0   0
    The point is, you aren't beyond hope if you go hunting for features that aren't used in a production vehicle.

In the specific example of a default drive mode, I would agree that it's almost certainly not there.

19. Grimmer

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Manual
    0   0   0
    The as built data has allowed me to do exactly this.

I'm inclined to agree that it all depends on what the software engineers put in there. The auto and manuals have different choices for drive modes. Did the software guys program it to be specific with the only choice being auto VS manual? Or did they generalize it for future compatibility and therefore not have to update the whole software package when they introduce new drive mode options? My point is that the vehicle needs to know which option set is available (and what choices it contains) and I would venture to say which is the default choice as well. Perhaps they figured (or the government requires them to include all the stuff to make up for those that can't drive) and therefore there's no foreseeable need to make the default mode optional. It could be hard-coded or it could be option coded.

And the existing as built data that this forum has discovered already shows that it goes way beyond which option packages are installed and activated. All cars come with a horn, yet the as built data can be used to alter its behavior. Same goes for the lights, the panic button on the key FOB, etc.. Whether the engineers made it optional for regulatory requirements, market requirements, personal owner preferences, or simply to account for future possibilities, they have included (or excluded) many behaviors and options that have not been mapped out yet.

Speaking of which, all of the available display text for all possible options in the IPC already exist in the code. Has anyone tried to decompile it and look for meaningful text? Might give a boost to figuring out the possibilities with a better list of what to look for.

20. ctandc72

ctandc72 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    '17 Base 6 speed 3.7
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    The real answer is more likely that Ford made everything close to being the same across model lines (from a programming standpoint) to keep costs down. I just had this discussion with a very knowledgeable member here yesterday LOL. Ford is not the only one. Regardless of our personal opinions - if a company is owned by shareholders - their job is to make a profit for these shareholders. Anything that reduces redundant man hours helps this aim.

The main issue is that I'm betting that many of the options in the various modules that have been discovered for other Ford models (F150 etc) don't apply to the Mustang directly. So while changing one value in a module on a F150 does X - it very likely will have no effect (or another different effect) on the Mustang.

It's been well documented - but for enabling / disabling factory available options using FORSCAN, the best avenue still seems to be finding an OEM as built file of a car equipped with the feature(s) you want and comparing that info with your current car's info. Then investigating any hardware that may be needed.

Enabling things like default drive mode would likely involve (as mentioned) custom programming and that's a whole other ball of wax.