Modern Muscle that can turn - GT PP1 vs SS 1LE vs Scat

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Cool comparison, thanks for sharing your feedback. In other comparisons, I’ve seen A10 GT’s beat Scat’s from a dig (on similar tires) FWIW. The Scats can move no doubt but their weight is an issue against Mustangs and Camaros (and others).
Sponsored

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
Happy to look back years from now that I had a choice between these three great cars at their peak. All are unique and special in their own way. I just made the boat before it sailed.

5550snotamerc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
s550 eco convertible auto
Don’t know what to tell you bro. It was a run between real, used cars on the streets that they prowl in real life. Both cars were hot from cruising. These weren’t new magazine cars run in perfect conditions. I’d imagine the sticky tires on the front of the Camaro 1LE had quite the effect and, again, it wasn’t a quarter mile run.
Like that other guy I prefer bench racing and letting magazines tell me what is faster rather than driving the cars :wink:

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Met up with two buddies today to cruise and shoot some pics. Comparison and my impressions and pics below but I’ll first say we are lucky to have lived through the second muscle car era!

The cars:
2022 GT PP1 manual, 2019 Charger Scatpack auto 392 handling package, 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE auto. All cars are completely stock (with the exception of stock airbox mods.) All had brembos - all on summer rubber.

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Straight line speed:
Here’s what most people care about. the Mustang pulled fairly hard on the scat from a 50 roll. I was actually really surprised how bad he got gapped. The Camaro was nowhere to be found (combo of heavy drag for the 1LE from the aero and really sticky tires is my guess - not surprising). From a dig the Scat beats the Mustang and below 40 the Camaro does too (man those autos shift fast). A ten speed mustang would be a different story probably. Overall they are very similar and fast for mid level muscle, but mustang takes 1st, charger a very close 2nd, Camaro 3rd.

handling:
On paper these cars should be fairly similar - all around the same msrp, V8, handling package equipped. All have big Brembos.
In reality, there was no contest. The Camaro had not only the most comfortable suspension but the most capable as well. The 1LE package is light years ahead of the PP1. The Camaro was unbelievably composed in every situation imaginable. michigan potholes hardly shook the car and you could floor the car coming out of a roundabout and barely chirp the tires. It hooks and books.

the GT is second, but not close. I love my car but I was blown away by the Camaro. I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some buyers remorse. My car is stiff, but lacks the grip of the Camaro and its composure over bumps. Additionally, under hard acceleration, the rear end jumps sideways slightly while the Camaro is glued to the pavement and accelerates perfectly straight. The plus for the Mustang is its brakes - not sure what car and driver was talking about when it said the Camaro had better brakes. The Mustang brembos are equal imo in pure braking power and have better feel and low speed modulation.

the scat, at 700 pounds heavier than both other cars, is a distant third. This is a big comfortable car and I have long thought it makes the best daily driver for around metro Detroit (I may be biased-my daily is an AWD hemi charger.) But handling wise it’s not close to the other two. It is a true muscle car whereas the Camaro and Mustang have moved into the sports segment. This car was wallowing all over the road compared to the other two and cooked its brakes, necessitating a 10 minute cool down, while my car and the Camaro’s brakes were cool to the touch when we stopped. The scat almost ate my bumper more than once on what I thought were fairly casual stops once its brakes heated up.

Driving impression/interior:

Driving all three back to back, my first thought is you really can’t go wrong. Just depends what you want.

The Mustang is my choice, balancing comfort with a great interior and top end speed. I love this car more and more as I drive it. The coyote sounds the best to me, the charger a very close 2nd and the Camaro 3rd (Camaro sounds like a truck motor to me, which it sort of is). I’ve always had a soft spot for small blocks, no matter how big they actually

The Camaro is a track beast and also pretty comfortable but the cabin is a coffin and I find the car ugly. The recaro seats are awesome for short drives (ford - figure out how to heat and cool them like Chevy does) but start to feel hard on longer drives.This is a fantastic car and truthfully, had I been able to find a manual version of this car, I probably would have bought it instead of the Mustang. The stang is a fun car for me after all and this car is pure fun, but I hate the interior and interface and I’d probably drive it less than I drive my Mustang because of this.

The charger, again, is probably the most practical daily of the three. best interior, great infotainment system and nav (don’t care what anyone says, uconnect is miles ahead of sync or the GM system). the handling package maybe turns it into a ski boat instead of a yacht, but it’s still a boat. Overall it’s a muscle car and a great looking one at that.

final thoughts:
Three great cars from the big 3, all excelling at their own thing. The Mustang balances between track terror and the boulevard brawler, which is why it’s the best selling of the three imo. What a great era this was, I’m truly sad to see the Camaro and Charger go.

God bless America and Detroit Muscle! 💪 🇺🇸

photo dump:
IMG_5385.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg

Nice pictures and wonderful writeup OP! Great work. :)

Only thing I am sadden by are these lame ass colors. Yes I know most people want something on the gray spectrum just this photo... White, gray, and more gray. 😒

I just think if one were to get their hands on some wild and fun cars like these that they would have a wild and fun color like red, lime green, orange, yellow, bright blue or purple just like the classic cars were. Sigh...

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium

Only thing I am sadden by are these lame ass colors. Yes I know most people want something on the gray spectrum just this photo... White, gray, and more gray. 😒

I just think if one were to get their hands on some wild and fun cars like these that they would have a wild and fun color like red, lime green, orange, yellow, bright blue or purple just like the classic cars were. Sigh...
believe me man I hear ya. We all bought used, color was low on my priority list. Seems like the cars in brighter colors get thrashed - I actually went to the dealer to get a mischievous purple ‘22 GT, identical to my car otherwise and 2k cheaper but that car had been beat on - scraped rims, ran kind of funky, missing trim pieces. The one I bought had 6k miles and two oil changes already.

when I was optioning GTs in 2022 I optioned purple also - love that color. Just couldn’t swing it back then while buying a house.

My ‘68 is green with green interior and chrome cragars so that kind of makes up for it

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Mopar had some great colors over the years. Plum Crazy and Sublime are two of my favorite colors of all the different manufacturers. I like Mischievous Purple, but if Ford rolled out a purple similar to Plum Crazy I’d be all over it.

GrayMater22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium
Met up with two buddies today to cruise and shoot some pics. Comparison and my impressions and pics below but I’ll first say we are lucky to have lived through the second muscle car era!

The cars:
2022 GT PP1 manual, 2019 Charger Scatpack auto 392 handling package, 2021 Camaro 2SS 1LE auto. All cars are completely stock (with the exception of stock airbox mods.) All had brembos - all on summer rubber.

IMG_5381.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Straight line speed:
Here’s what most people care about. the Mustang pulled fairly hard on the scat from a 50 roll. I was actually really surprised how bad he got gapped. The Camaro was nowhere to be found (combo of heavy drag for the 1LE from the aero and really sticky tires is my guess - not surprising). From a dig the Scat beats the Mustang and below 40 the Camaro does too (man those autos shift fast). A ten speed mustang would be a different story probably. Overall they are very similar and fast for mid level muscle, but mustang takes 1st, charger a very close 2nd, Camaro 3rd.

handling:
On paper these cars should be fairly similar - all around the same msrp, V8, handling package equipped. All have big Brembos.
In reality, there was no contest. The Camaro had not only the most comfortable suspension but the most capable as well. The 1LE package is light years ahead of the PP1. The Camaro was unbelievably composed in every situation imaginable. michigan potholes hardly shook the car and you could floor the car coming out of a roundabout and barely chirp the tires. It hooks and books.

the GT is second, but not close. I love my car but I was blown away by the Camaro. I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some buyers remorse. My car is stiff, but lacks the grip of the Camaro and its composure over bumps. Additionally, under hard acceleration, the rear end jumps sideways slightly while the Camaro is glued to the pavement and accelerates perfectly straight. The plus for the Mustang is its brakes - not sure what car and driver was talking about when it said the Camaro had better brakes. The Mustang brembos are equal imo in pure braking power and have better feel and low speed modulation.

the scat, at 700 pounds heavier than both other cars, is a distant third. This is a big comfortable car and I have long thought it makes the best daily driver for around metro Detroit (I may be biased-my daily is an AWD hemi charger.) But handling wise it’s not close to the other two. It is a true muscle car whereas the Camaro and Mustang have moved into the sports segment. This car was wallowing all over the road compared to the other two and cooked its brakes, necessitating a 10 minute cool down, while my car and the Camaro’s brakes were cool to the touch when we stopped. The scat almost ate my bumper more than once on what I thought were fairly casual stops once its brakes heated up.

Driving impression/interior:

Driving all three back to back, my first thought is you really can’t go wrong. Just depends what you want.

The Mustang is my choice, balancing comfort with a great interior and top end speed. I love this car more and more as I drive it. The coyote sounds the best to me, the charger a very close 2nd and the Camaro 3rd (Camaro sounds like a truck motor to me, which it sort of is). I’ve always had a soft spot for small blocks, no matter how big they actually

The Camaro is a track beast and also pretty comfortable but the cabin is a coffin and I find the car ugly. The recaro seats are awesome for short drives (ford - figure out how to heat and cool them like Chevy does) but start to feel hard on longer drives.This is a fantastic car and truthfully, had I been able to find a manual version of this car, I probably would have bought it instead of the Mustang. The stang is a fun car for me after all and this car is pure fun, but I hate the interior and interface and I’d probably drive it less than I drive my Mustang because of this.

The charger, again, is probably the most practical daily of the three. best interior, great infotainment system and nav (don’t care what anyone says, uconnect is miles ahead of sync or the GM system). the handling package maybe turns it into a ski boat instead of a yacht, but it’s still a boat. Overall it’s a muscle car and a great looking one at that.

final thoughts:
Three great cars from the big 3, all excelling at their own thing. The Mustang balances between track terror and the boulevard brawler, which is why it’s the best selling of the three imo. What a great era this was, I’m truly sad to see the Camaro and Charger go.

God bless America and Detroit Muscle! 💪 🇺🇸

photo dump:
IMG_5385.jpeg

IMG_5383.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg
Your review is pretty spot on, I have owned all three and each has advantages and disadvantages over the others. I miss my 1LE for the go cart like handling and my 392 Charger for torque off the line, but the 5.0 is definitely a solid balance between both 👍

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Your review is pretty spot on, I have owned all three and each has advantages and disadvantages over the others. I miss my 1LE for the go cart like handling and my 392 Charger for torque off the line, but the 5.0 is definitely a solid balance between both 👍
The Mach is the perfect balance imo. I want to trade into a Mach but I just bought my car and cant justify the $10k or so in transaction costs I’d be eating between both deals. Next year maybe it will be easier to stomach

M1-Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach1, 2011 BMW X3 35i
Im guessing the magna ride on the 1LE is why he was way ahead in the twisties and bumpies. Would have been a more even comparo with a Mach1 Handling Package (315's in the back, 305's in the front, and magna ride as well)...

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Im guessing the magna ride on the 1LE is why he was way ahead in the twisties and bumpies. Would have been a more even comparo with a Mach1 Handling Package (315's in the back, 305's in the front, and magna ride as well)...
Completely agree. See my above post about wanting a Mach 1 now lol. A magneride PP2 is nipping at the heels of a 1LE and I think the Mach is slightly faster. Still the 1LE is cheaper than a Mach 1 and more in line with PP1 pricing. Idk how Chevy does it.

Sponsored

M1-Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach1, 2011 BMW X3 35i
Completely agree. See my above post about wanting a Mach 1 now lol. A magneride PP2 is nipping at the heels of a 1LE and I think the Mach is slightly faster. Still the 1LE is cheaper than a Mach 1 and more in line with PP1 pricing. Idk how Chevy does it.
Im a few days from pulling the trigger on a 2022 mach1 with HP package, but chatting/reconnecting with my track buddy who owns a 2018 SS 1LE yesterday, made me hesitate.

He does very well on the track and embarrasses more expensive cars. He has had a problem-free 5-year ownership so far, and uses his 1LE 2SS mostly on the track and to/from the track (on his own power).

There is a huge difference in price (+10-15K CAD for the M1) between pre-owned Mach1's and 1LE's in Canada as well...

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Still the 1LE is cheaper than a Mach 1 and more in line with PP1 pricing. Idk how Chevy does it.
they aren't trying to compensate for 5 billion dollars pissed down the sewer in pursuit of EV credits.

The MR damping is MUCH MUCH better in the Camaro than any Ford, Mach1 included. The Supercar3 tires are also VERY good, much better feel than PS4S. As long as it's dry. Heavy rain/standing water the Michelin is better.

At least the Camaro lives on under the Caddy label - Blackwings are just 4-door Camaros.
I dearly wish someone would slip the NA v8 into the 4VBW to give it a broader appeal.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
they aren't trying to compensate for 5 billion dollars pissed down the sewer in pursuit of EV credits.
Yeah they do that with the trucks and SUV’s instead 🤣

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There is a huge difference in price (10-15K CAD) between pre-owned Mach1's and 1LE's in Canada as well...
if you want handling and driver enjoyment, Camaro. Assuming you can live with some of the ergo tradeoffs. If you want a car that is super easy to live with 365, then Mustang. The HP is overrated and the key parts sourced for pennies on the dollar. So make sure you extract maximum value from the transaction, or just find a non-HP.

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)

The MR damping is MUCH MUCH better in the Camaro than any Ford, Mach1 included. The Supercar3 tires are also VERY good, much better feel than PS4S. As long as it's dry. Heavy rain/standing water the Michelin is better.

At least the Camaro lives on under the Caddy label - Blackwings are just 4-door Camaros.
I dearly wish someone would slip the NA v8 into the 4VBW to give it a broader appeal.
Yes worth noting the Camaro makes do with 285 front rubber and 305 in the rear and never lost grip on our test
Sponsored