Model year 18 and up F150 manifold VS GT 350 Manifold

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
There are plenty of times I would just rather the go and not look or sound like a goon driving around causing attention at 7000rpm. Sure I hit a few back road runs and have some fun and love the sound and feel at redline. But that is literially a couple minutes a week.

Then being an automatic, as I give it a lot of throttle to get to reasonable torque, it will downshift multiple times and is annoying for just the fun run to soccer practice and work and such. I just really miss the low throttle torque of the tuned 4cyl cars I had in the part. My wife and daughter were so put back when I got the GT as the lack of power. They are not used to reving and lots of throttle. I'm getting used to it. Use the paddle shifters and lots of throttle input. Much more then I would think I would need to get the go I'm expecting. I do realize turbo cars sort of cheat the power at part throttle by ramping up plenty of boost at low throttle.

2nd gear is about 60 and 3rd is 100mph at red line. So for me the extra power that a 350 manifold would give me over the truck manifold is only in first and second and very very rarely third. Honestly probably only when doing data logs. And first gear redlines instantly anyway, so really only second gear redline is ever seen. CERTAINLY 4th, 5th and 6th will never see the upper end power.

I just think plenty of people have not have the experince with high torque engines and fun they can offer. And actually during my racing years, that setup could be pretty fast around road courses too. Also, I went for the Hellcat dodge ride-a-long at a car show and the gt350. Oh my god the gt350 was so boring after the hellcat ride. The instant on demand torque was a blast!
To each his own I guess. I thought factory mustangs made over 350 ftlbs by 4000. And a gt350 boring,

And 10speed even more reason to wind it up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
One of the reasons I originally went with my Ecoboost was for that nice mid-range torque. It reminds me of an old 454 Corvette I once got a chance to drive. Certainly wasn't the fastest car out there but it just had this massive amount of punch right off the line that was loads of fun to drive. You can't replicate that chasing every 1/10 with power under the curve calculations, it's just damn fun. Some folks want to try and say it's pointless to chase that in a car that's meant for this or that but I'd say it's absolutely got a point in any street driven car.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
One of the reasons I originally went with my Ecoboost was for that nice mid-range torque. It reminds me of an old 454 Corvette I once got a chance to drive. Certainly wasn't the fastest car out there but it just had this massive amount of punch right off the line that was loads of fun to drive. You can't replicate that chasing every 1/10 with power under the curve calculations, it's just damn fun. Some folks want to try and say it's pointless to chase that in a car that's meant for this or that but I'd say it's absolutely got a point in any street driven car.
So I'll bite again, I think the people saying why are mostly pointing out how the car ends up being driven, not necessarily that torque isn't good. The car makes torque, it is a matter of physics, it just does. We can disagree on driving style all we want, but that is what it is. Sure not as much as my powerstroke (on the order of 1000+). My car now 700+. In both vehicles, when I go fast, just as probably most everyone else the gas pedal is down for more than a couple seconds, which means the car/truck gets into the power band. With the 10 speed, it never leaves at this point. The truck is the 6 speed, so it dips a little more. If we were talking power glides, or even 3 speed autos without the proper torque converter, then it would be more understandable. Most of us just question that people stomp on the gas for less than 2 seconds when they want to go fast. So myself and all of us others will just have to accept that some people just do single gear burst for fractions of a second when they want to go fast.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
So I'll bite again, I think the people saying why are mostly pointing out how the car ends up being driven, not necessarily that torque isn't good. The car makes torque, it is a matter of physics, it just does. We can disagree on driving style all we want, but that is what it is. Sure not as much as my powerstroke (on the order of 1000+). My car now 700+. In both vehicles, when I go fast, just as probably most everyone else the gas pedal is down for more than a couple seconds, which means the car/truck gets into the power band. With the 10 speed, it never leaves at this point. The truck is the 6 speed, so it dips a little more. If we were talking power glides, or even 3 speed autos without the proper torque converter, then it would be more understandable. Most of us just question that people stomp on the gas for less than 2 seconds when they want to go fast. So myself and all of us others will just have to accept that some people just do single gear burst for fractions of a second when they want to go fast.
You are 100% correct. But you are only looking at the technicalities of going fast. You aren't factoring in the feels awesome factor that made big block cars so great. There is something fun about having an immediate surge of power available right away or being able to leave it in one gear. Once you get going an ecoboost can do everything in 3rd gear if you aren't worried about shaving tenths. I love driving it out on the back roads for that very reason. I am selling it because it's more cost effective to get a GT than it is to make the turbo 4 perform near that level but I will always have a certain fondness for those torquey cars that can lope along with ease.

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
You are 100% correct. But you are only looking at the technicalities of going fast. You aren't factoring in the feels awesome factor that made big block cars so great. There is something fun about having an immediate surge of power available right away or being able to leave it in one gear. Once you get going an ecoboost can do everything in 3rd gear if you aren't worried about shaving tenths. I love driving it out on the back roads for that very reason. I am selling it because it's more cost effective to get a GT than it is to make the turbo 4 perform near that level but I will always have a certain fondness for those torquey cars that can lope along with ease.
I am not talking about technicalities, but the reality of how it works. Again, I have a truck that makes more torque than three maybe four ecoboost combined, and it is fun. However, it doesn't compare to my mustang (even when the mustang was in stock form). I've had and driven big block cars, I understand what your saying. That initial punch for fractions of a second when your in a low rpm, yes it is neat; but the reality is paddle into the powerband and punch it is a whole different animal. Even on small blocks, had 302s with the proper intake and it felt neat, but then I upgraded got the proper torque converter to match the single plane intake, and yeah the faster acceleration felt neater. Stay in the power band and gap those who don't. The reason 10speeds beat stick cars with the same motor (and I believe actually put more hp/torque to the ground). I'd rather accelerate faster any day than slower. It is not power under the curve, it is where the car lives when you go wot. If you are in S mode with the trans in 3rd gear and you just stomp it for a fraction of a second when at a low rpm, then perhaps stock vs. stock the acceleration will be briefly faster for a fraction with a manifold meant for torque. And like I said, I can agree that is if that is how you drive then I can see the benefit. That is a very small envelope of operation, most people go beyond that.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I do agree above that in 1st, 2nd and even most of third if ok with the power. Certainly 1st and 2nd are plenty. 3rd could use a little more grunt but If I give plenty of throttle at low to mid RPM its ok. The problem lies with the rest of the gears. There is no way higher rpms will help. Heavy throttle helps a bit though. As I say a lot, everything is relative, and unfortunately I was blown away by the torque in high gears in my tuned Audi TTS. My god 60 to 90 in 5th gear was incredible. My perception was this big V8 is gonna be a torque monster. I heard it was a rev motor but didn't realize it sort of needs to rev instead of it just can. And since most of my driving is in gears above 3rd gear, I'm hoping the truck intake will help. And hopefully not disappoint me near red line like the ecoboost did.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I do agree above that in 1st, 2nd and even most of third if ok with the power. Certainly 1st and 2nd are plenty. 3rd could use a little more grunt but If I give plenty of throttle at low to mid RPM its ok. The problem lies with the rest of the gears. There is no way higher rpms will help. Heavy throttle helps a bit though. As I say a lot, everything is relative, and unfortunately I was blown away by the torque in high gears in my tuned Audi TTS. My god 60 to 90 in 5th gear was incredible. My perception was this big V8 is gonna be a torque monster. I heard it was a rev motor but didn't realize it sort of needs to rev instead of it just can. And since most of my driving is in gears above 3rd gear, I'm hoping the truck intake will help. And hopefully not disappoint me near red line like the ecoboost did.
Probably another car might be best. If you don't want a car that is faster then the best option would be another 4cylinder torque monster. The car is what it is, you can add more power if you want, but the basic how it works won't really change. A PD blower wi give instant torque. Nitrous too, but again need rpm. Something that can dip easily into the 11s in stock form would have to accelerate fast, technicalities aside.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Probably another car might be best.
Nah. He needs a diesel truck. But even then he'll complain about the lack of top end power.

but If I give plenty of throttle at low to mid RPM its ok
No, you're not giving 'plenty of throttle', otherwise it would have kicked down a gear. Lemme know why the 6R80 would downshift automatically.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Nah. He needs a diesel truck. But even then he'll complain about the lack of top end power.

No, you're not giving 'plenty of throttle', otherwise it would have kicked down a gear. Lemme know why the 6R80 would downshift automatically.
Yep, I am beginning to wonder if he js messing with us. Makes no sense, 4 cylinder and Audis seem fast, but an 11 sec capable car slow? i

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And hopefully not disappoint me near red line like the ecoboost did.
a PROPERLY tuned ecoboost (no mods) will RIP to redline like a scalded cat. Not quite zingy as a S2000 or Honda 1600cc I4 but it's impressive. What you won't feel however, is any great surge in power. Since the power is so vastly improved everywhere you won't feel a step up.

The GT (and V6) in unmodified form also feels breathless up top. This is big time fixed with a tune from someone who knows what they are doing.

No, I have not personally driven a Ford Performance tuned car since why should I give more money to the same folks who can't (be bothered to) tune an engine properly in the first place?

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Of course he is. He loves the top end/power of the coyote. Didn't complain about lack of low end.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...lol-of-multiple-tunes-was-interesting.160705/
While doing the data logs flat out it I was just collecting data between different tunes. I do love the top end rush of the car. But I would trade a little of that for more torque. That is when I did find out very very little difference in the tuning of a stock car. Very little help in torque or top end that could be noticed even on the graphs. But the throttle was amped up and made it feel much more at part throttle. So all in all I was disappointed in the $800 invested in the tunes. Actually I was skeptical that a N/A motor has much gains from a tune unlike turbo tunes.

Also the Audi was a much quicker car and also little faster. Sub 13 second 1/4 and low 4s 0-60 with launch control. But Holy crap the expected maintenance and repair bills scared m to the point I didn't drive it hard anymore.

Also the reason it doesn't downshift when I give plenty of throttle is because I use sport with the paddles a lot to allow me to do this.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Just need to figure out if it's worth the hassle to go with the 18 truck over the 15 truck.
The 18 is the way to go. Same top end as the gen 2 mustang manni with the added low end torque.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The 18 is the way to go. Same top end as the gen 2 mustang manni with the added low end torque.
What intake manifold is on your car right now ?
Sponsored