Mobility kit vs. Spare tire

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
Very true and I like that spare from AA and will probably get one, when I get the Mach.
I have the stock spare that came with my 2004. It only fits the back axle since I upgraded to Cobra brakes, so if I get a front punture, I'd have to rotate the back to the front and put the spare on the back, not the best, but doable because I have a square wheel/tire setup. (18x9.5 275/35R18)
I have the AA spare it's a quality piece.
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I have the AA spare it's a quality piece.
Looked like it in the video. Not a bad deal, pretty cheap insurance when traveling away from population centers.

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I have Brembo brakes on the front and just went through the experience of getting a spare tire. First, if you have Brembo brakes you are going to need a 2" wheel spacer to get the factory spare to fit over it; I tried the space-saver spare on the rear wheel and it seemed to fit ok and did not rub anything although I did not drive it. I picked up a good used spare tire on eBay for $110 plus $35 shipping, ensure you get the correct one for your car. The part number for the entire kit is FR3Z-1K007-C; I just bought the 18" spare. I was lucky enough to find someone who purchased two wheel spacers, as you just can't buy one, and I bought his extra off him for a total of $37 which included shipping. Our Mustangs are 5 x 4.5" (5 x 114.3mm) lug pattern, with M14x1.5mm studs, and a 70.5mm center bore, ensure you get one that matches this for a 2015 and up Mustang. I purchased a Torin AT10152B scissors jack on Amazon for $25.11, which includes shipping, 3,000 lb. capacity and it looks like it will work for our cars, but I have not received it yet. The same hold down clamp that held down the air compressor also works holding down the spare tire; the trunk floor lays down flat but I have not tried to jam the jack or wheel spacer in with the spare yet, I'm thinking that the jack I purchased may not fit in the spare tire wheel well.

Total things you will need.
A factory 18" space saver spare.
A jack if you don buy the spare tire kit.
A 50mm or 2" hub-centric wheel spacer.
A 21mm deep socket, 1/2" drive.
A 19mm deep socket, 1/2" drive.
A 1/2 drive breaker bar or torque wrench.
An old screwdriver to lock the hub as you tighten the spacer nuts.

Special thanks to user LeeSonic for providing most of this information to me, I just copied most of it. If you go to his post he provides pictures.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
I have Brembo brakes on the front and just went through the experience of getting a spare tire. First, if you have Brembo brakes you are going to need a 2" wheel spacer to get the factory spare to fit over it; I tried the space-saver spare on the rear wheel and it seemed to fit ok and did not rub anything although I did not drive it. I picked up a good used spare tire on eBay for $110 plus $35 shipping, ensure you get the correct one for your car. The part number for the entire kit is FR3Z-1K007-C; I just bought the 18" spare. I was lucky enough to find someone who purchased two wheel spacers, as you just can't buy one, and I bought his extra off him for a total of $37 which included shipping. Our Mustangs are 5 x 4.5" (5 x 114.3mm) lug pattern, with M14x1.5mm studs, and a 70.5mm center bore, ensure you get one that matches this for a 2015 and up Mustang. I purchased a Torin AT10152B scissors jack on Amazon for $25.11, which includes shipping, 3,000 lb. capacity and it looks like it will work for our cars, but I have not received it yet. The same hold down clamp that held down the air compressor also works holding down the spare tire; the trunk floor lays down flat but I have not tried to jam the jack or wheel spacer in with the spare yet, I'm thinking that the jack I purchased may not fit in the spare tire wheel well.

Special thanks to user LeeSonic for providing most of this information to me, I just copied most of it. If you go to his post he provides pictures.
Good info 👍. Just FYI the AA spare does not need spacers.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
We have AAA premium, which is good for 200 miles of free towing and if my wife gets a flat, the AAA driver will put the spare on for her.
Funny how widely this varies. In New England, it's a 100 mile limit, but you can get 4 of them in a year.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

So it ends up at about half the price (if you can get 1 spacer), but you need to find a home for the jack / spacer and you may find yourself playing with a spacer on the side of the highway in the rain.

YMMV.

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
AS Zooks527 mentioned I could have spent $400 for the package that gives you everything rather than piecemealing a tire, jack and spacer costing me $217 all in. You would think I would since I am 70 years old and perhaps I will have to spend a few extra minutes putting on the spacer in the rain, although I doubt that will happen as I have not gotten a flat tire that I had to change by the side of the road in over 50 years, and as I remember it was not raining. What I would like to impart to you younger people is this, spend money on things that you need or want but get the best deal you can. Not to brag but I have $15K sitting in checking and another $81K sitting in my savings account. In addition, I have over $3M in stocks, bonds, etc not to mention a house that is paid for and a 2018 Mustang I paid cash for. Do you think spending $400 on the spare would have really made any difference to me, not at all. But I can tell you this over my lifetime by saving $200 here and there and putting it in the stock market let me retire at 58 from a sales job that paid OK. So it's up to you, piss away $200 when you can save it or spend a few minutes in the rain putting on the spacer.

YMMV

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*SIGH* Some people.

I could have spent $400 for the package that gives you everything rather than piecemealing a tire, jack and spacer costing me $217 all in. You would think I would since I am 70 years old and perhaps I will have to spend a few extra minutes putting on the spacer in the rain, although I doubt that will happen as I have not gotten a flat tire that I had to change by the side of the road in over 50 years, and as I remember it was not raining.
Fortunate. However, I have done the whole routine on the side of the road in the rain, and it bites. It would have been worse if it had been a driver's side tire. $200 isn't worth getting your back hair shaved by some moron in the right lane.

Not to brag but I have $15K sitting in checking and another $81K sitting in my savings account. In addition, I have over $3M in stocks, bonds, etc not to mention a house that is paid for and a 2018 Mustang I paid cash for.
So, lead with "Not to brag, but ..." and proceed to brag.

Anyway, so? I'm 8 years younger than you, only keep $200 in checking, but have 2.5 years operating funds in the bank. Stocks/bonds/etc. are in fine shape. House has been paid off for about 10 years, paid cash for the Mustang, my wife's Subie, the Tacoma, my last BMW, my daughter's Jetta, etc. But, really, why would that make a difference to anyone? Tends to be that way with a lot of older people. Hell, it applies to my 88 year old mom, who's been buying cars with cash for ages.

But I can tell you this over my lifetime by saving $200 here and there and putting it in the stock market let me retire at 58 from a sales job that paid OK.
And I'm in the process of winding our company down to go part time consultant, not because we need the money, but to keep from being bored. Again, who cares?

So it's up to you, piss away $200 when you can save it or spend a few minutes in the rain putting on the spacer.
I spent 2 hours on a Zoom court hearing last Thursday watching a friend plead guilty on a vehicular homicide charge resulting from her not seeing someone then taking him off his motorcycle at speed on a clear sunny day. It was a horrible situation for his family and a terribly bad one for hers. For $200, I'll take spending the minimum amount of time exposed on the side of the road to people who may or not see you regardless of conditions.

YMMV.

Last edited:

rbkennedy1950

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
*SIGH* Some people.

Fortunate. However, I have done the whole routine on the side of the road in the rain, and it bites. It would have been worse if it had been a driver's side tire. $200 isn't worth getting your back hair shaved by some moron in the right lane.

So, lead with "Not to brag, but ..." and proceed to brag.

Anyway, so? I'm 8 years younger than you, only keep $200 in checking, but have 2.5 years operating funds in the bank. Stocks/bonds/etc. are in fine shape. House has been paid off for about 10 years, paid cash for the Mustang, my wife's Subie, the Tacoma, my last BMW, my daughter's Jetta, etc. But, really, why would that make a difference to anyone? Tends to be that way with a lot of older people. Hell, it applies to my 88 year old mom, who's been buying cars with cash for ages.

And I'm in the process of winding our company down to go part time consultant, not because we need the money, but to keep from being bored. Again, who cares?

I spent 2 hours on a Zoom court hearing last Thursday watching a friend plead guilty on a vehicular homicide charge resulting from her not seeing someone then taking him off his motorcycle at speed on a clear sunny day. For $200, I'll take spending the minimum amount of time exposed on the side of the road to people who may or not see you regardless of conditions.

YMMV.
You have your opinion on why you should buy the entire package and I have mine as to why I chose to save $200. I felt your comment as to why I should have spent the $400 was unnecessary and lost my cool. My apologies, people can decide for themselve which way they want to go.

Sponsored

Cement Bench

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffy
Vehicle(s)
2020 BULLITT
I am now. A A member for the wheel and tire option
getting it shipped to Canada 🍁
can hardly wait

are any of you using a cordless impact wrench to jack up the car ?
would that damage the scissor jack?

thinking of a dewalt with 300 foot pounds of torque

any suggestions as am old and somewhat feeble

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Duralast powered 3 ton sissor jack. About 5 years ago I had a flat on my CTS-v and used the oem factory sissor jack and it collapse during the tire change. Becareful of oem style Jack's. I would not get anything g under a 3 ton type.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I carry a motorized scissor jack, powered by a power--aka cigarette lighter--output (one less battery to worry about).

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
To my knowledge, there isn't much to inspect or change on a modern car except tires, oil and filters (oil/air). I put 124K miles on my '08 Bullitt with no dealer service at all--well, except for shit I broke--and it was running strong when I traded it in (I put new plugs in myself at 80K, just because). I'm not sure your average 'technician' even knows what a Zerk fitting is, and most batteries now are SLA (aka 'maintenance free').
Sponsored