Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here upgraded the ugly plastic coolant overflow tank with the Mishimoto. Any issues? I have the Ford Performance oil seperator and i've read posts where they say its a tight fit. Also worried about the little tube on the side breaking loose and losing coolant. Thoughts?
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have one that I've run on track for 3 years. No issues. I am switching my cooling setup so will be moving on from it, but not because of how it worked.

Don't run the separators, so no feedback there.

Fred Larson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I had one on my prior 2015 model, and I thought it was great, but I also did not have a separator.

Stallone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT Premium 2017
I also have one and wanted to install it,
what about the original clamps, can you use them or do you have to use the ones from Mishimoto?

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone here upgraded the ugly plastic coolant overflow tank with the Mishimoto. Any issues? I have the Ford Performance oil seperator and i've read posts where they say its a tight fit. Also worried about the little tube on the side breaking loose and losing coolant. Thoughts?
I did and if it's the one with the sight gauge I had a problem. The nipples that attach to the tank and hold the clear level tube popped off and overflow tank fluid was lost. Oddly the nipples just press over the fitting oring. I found correct orings and replaced them and it seemed fine but a couple days later same issue. I contacted Mishimoto and they said they carried no parts (really) and I should file a warranty claim to replace the entire tank. What a crock. I went to Advance Auto, bought brass plugs and plugged both ports. I'll just visually check it occasionally. I originally ordered my tank polished but the polish job was terrible. I had it powder coated.
Screenshot_20230404_173732_Gallery.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I did and if it's the one with the sight gauge I had a problem. The nipples that attach to the tank and hold the clear level tube popped off and overflow tank fluid was lost. Oddly the nipples just press over the fitting oring. I found correct orings and replaced them and it seemed fine but a couple days later same issue. I contacted Mishimoto and they said they carried no parts (really) and I should file a warranty claim to replace the entire tank. What a crock. I went to Advance Auto, bought brass plugs and plugged both ports. I'll just visually check it occasionally. I originally ordered my tank polished but the polish job was terrible. I had it powder coated.
Thanks for the input, that is what scares me as I read the reviews of several guys that had that sight tube pop off. What a poor design. It's an accident waiting to happen. If I go with it I might plug mine as well. Do you have a link to the plug part and a picture?

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have one that I've run on track for 3 years. No issues. I am switching my cooling setup so will be moving on from it, but not because of how it worked.

Don't run the separators, so no feedback there.
THanks Kevin,
As another post mentioned there are some guys that have issues with the clear fluid level sight tube disconnecting. Seems like a risk to me.
Also, why did you not run the oil separator? It seems everyone recommends at least the passenger side...

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
THanks Kevin,
As another post mentioned there are some guys that have issues with the clear fluid level sight tube disconnecting. Seems like a risk to me.
Also, why did you not run the oil separator? It seems everyone recommends at least the passenger side...
I never had an issue. I did routinely squeeze them together to make sure they were seated fully - but that's just typical nut and bolt check stuff for me.

I vented to atmosphere using a Peterson can I bought from watson.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I never had an issue. I did routinely squeeze them together to make sure they were seated fully - but that's just typical nut and bolt check stuff for me.

I vented to atmosphere using a Peterson can I bought from watson.
thanks, it seems that 99% of the reviews on the resale sites are positive, but a few of the reviewers have had bad experiences. Just don't want to lost coolant when on the track or long trip. Really want to replace the plastic unit with something better looking a more durable..

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I also have one and wanted to install it,
what about the original clamps, can you use them or do you have to use the ones from Mishimoto?
I've watched You tube videos where guys re-use the original oem clamps and it works fine. Others have used the supplied traditional clamps (see Bill from CJ Pony Parts install video).

Sponsored

Stallone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT Premium 2017
I've watched You tube videos where guys re-use the original oem clamps and it works fine. Others have used the supplied traditional clamps (see Bill from CJ Pony Parts install video)

Seems to be that.
Here in the forum I looked at pictures of the engine compartment and saw both variants.
I'll find out when I install it at the latest

5doorsoffury

Threads
Reaction score
a forsaken branch of the wavefunction called ny,
First Name
this guy
Vehicle(s)
mustang gt
To this day i dont understand why manufacturers think 2 push connect fittings and a crappy piece of tube is acceptable "sight glass" for anything else other than water in temperate climates. Every tank or catch can ive had with this design yellows from heat and stains the tube since its not glass so they are useless.

I have replaced every one of those with 2 90 degree barbed fittings and a piece of tube that i can swap whenever i feel like it. ( i know you can swap the tube in the PTC fittings but its not reliable)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

That was a consideration that came to mind, and ended up crossing the design off my short list .

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Any thoughts on the steeda model? SHelby American makes one but it's $500 sheessh...

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Any thoughts on the steeda model? SHelby American makes one but it's $500 sheessh...
I am running the Radium expansion tank and really like it.

IMG_5448.jpeg
Sponsored