Sponsored

Microfiber lint on car

t-zoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1
Had my car ceramic coated last week. It was out in the rain all day yesterday and when I got home I dried it and then took some detail spray and wiped down the car to get rid of some water and dirt spots.

I can see where lint is on the car. Hood, trunk, etc. Tried wiping with more spray and with a clean dry towel and it’s still there.

Any issues with the coating if I just leave it there? Will the fibers come off as the detail spray wears off? After next wash?

I used new towels and washed/hung dried them before using. Any way to prevent this in the future? Creature Edgeless towels from rag company. They had good reviews So figured I would try them out.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Had my car ceramic coated last week. It was out in the rain all day yesterday and when I got home I dried it and then took some detail spray and wiped down the car to get rid of some water and dirt spots.

I can see where lint is on the car. Hood, trunk, etc. Tried wiping with more spray and with a clean dry towel and it’s still there.

Any issues with the coating if I just leave it there? Will the fibers come off as the detail spray wears off? After next wash?

I used new towels and washed/hung dried them before using. Any way to prevent this in the future? Creature Edgeless towels from rag company. They had good reviews So figured I would try them out.
Never had this before so cannot comment on your particular situation. That said, stop trying to fix this yourself and get the car back to your detailer and have them look at it.

OP
OP

t-zoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1
Went to the detailer. First tried a duster with no luck. Then tried paint protectant spray and microfiber towel with no luck. So they washed it and all is good again. No explanation as to why it happened. But at least I know the fix if it does again. I didn’t want to wash it without their looking at it first. They did it for me, so even better.

Revolution Auto Salon in Greenland NH. They do amazing work and really nice people too. The car was stunning after the PPF and ceramic coating. Now it looks great again.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Went to the detailer. First tried a duster with no luck. Then tried paint protectant spray and microfiber towel with no luck. So they washed it and all is good again. No explanation as to why it happened. But at least I know the fix if it does again. I didn’t want to wash it without their looking at it first. They did it for me, so even better.

Revolution Auto Salon in Greenland NH. They do amazing work and really nice people too. The car was stunning after the PPF and ceramic coating. Now it looks great again.
You may want to prewash whatever microfiber towels you plan to use before you use them. Un scented detergent. Dryer on air setting and no fabric softener. I do it all of the time to release any loose fibers. And if you do use a ceramic based detailer, throw away the towels or make sure to repurpose them. The ceramic can dry on the towel and scratch your car.

OP
OP

t-zoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10 PP1
You may want to prewash whatever microfiber towels you plan to use before you use them. Un scented detergent. Dryer on air setting and no fabric softener. I do it all of the time to release any loose fibers. And if you do use a ceramic based detailer, throw away the towels or make sure to repurpose them. The ceramic can dry on the towel and scratch your car.
Thanks Rich. I appreciate the advice.

Sponsored

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I prewash all the time. Seriously, if your using a ceramic based detailer repurpose the towels or toss them. It’s not worth it. Dont use them on your car again..

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Yeah my guess is the microfibers were wither not washed first or washed improperly. Check out the Rags to Riches cleaner from The Rag Company. Their microfiber towels are also top notch. The eagle edge less towels and their orange buffing towels for sealants are my go to's. Ceramic coatings (most consumer grade ones) require some sort of top coat or paint sealant to help prevent water spotting. Of course proper equipment/techniques are reccommended also.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
I prewash all the time. Seriously, if your using a ceramic based detailer repurpose the towels or toss them. It’s not worth it. Dont use them on your car again..
what detail spray requires u to toss the towels? Every detail spray I have seen claiming "ceramic" properties is not true ceramic so the liquid will not cure to a hard material like a true coating. As long as the product does not do that, the towels are fine to use on the paint again

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
what detail spray requires u to toss the towels? Every detail spray I have seen claiming "ceramic" properties is not true ceramic so the liquid will not cure to a hard material like a true coating. As long as the product does not do that, the towels are fine to use on the paint again
I toss them or repurpose them anyway. Ceramic of any kind will dry into crystals.

That’s what I do, you can do what you feel comfortable with.

Sponsored

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
I toss them or repurpose them anyway. Ceramic of any kind will dry into crystals.

That’s what I do, you can do what you feel comfortable with.

If you mix them in a bucket with some vinegar, they’ll separate the ceramic until you’re ready to wash the towels.

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
If you mix them in a bucket with some vinegar, they’ll separate the ceramic until you’re ready to wash the towels.
I’ll try that, I go through a load of microfiber towels. 👍😎

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
There is a big difference between a full-fat Ceramic coating and a "ceramic" spray sealant.

A "ceramic" spray sealant IS NOT A CERAMIC COATING.

After using a proper Ceramic coating like CarPro Cquartz or GTECHNIK Crystal Serum, the towels used for this purpose need to be binned or repurposed. As mentioned, the residual product in the towels hardens and can cause damage to the paint.

You DO NOT need to throw away towels after using a spray sealant. Otherwise the millions of people using Bead Maker, for example, would be throwing away untold amounts of towels. It is recommended that towels used for this should be laundered shortly after use. Use an appropriate Microfibre detergent as they better suited at removing contaminants and contain no bleach's or fabric softeners

https://theragcompany.com/pages/microfiber-care-instructions

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
My car was coated with Feynlab Ceramic coating and all the detailer told me to do after a wash was to blow dry and wipe with a clean towel so I use a nice soft bath towel. After a rain storm or morning dew I usually just towel the car off...Works for me :sunglasses:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
My car was coated with Feynlab Ceramic coating and all the detailer told me to do after a wash was to blow dry and wipe with a clean towel so I use a nice soft bath towel. After a rain storm or morning dew I usually just towel the car off...Works for me :sunglasses:
Although a good detailing spray may not be required it is highly recommended to maintain shine and hydrophobic properties. Also when you say a “bath” towel I hope you do not mean one made of cotton. Just because a towel is soft doesn’t mean it cannot scratch. I would recommend getting yourself a top quality microfiber drying towel.
Sponsored