Sponsored

Microfiber Towel Care

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Caring for your microfiber towels is a topic or question I come across often, so I thought it would be good to have a dedicated thread for this subject.

IMG_5305.jpg

Taking care of something that touches your car so often is very important for both the car and the overall longevity of the towels themselves. While I see towels as a consumable, cleaning and storing them correctly will play a part in how long they last as well as how they perform.

IMG-7312.jpg

Before I go any further, there are some towels that are generally considered single use. Towels used to level a ceramic coating are one such example, and while they can be deep cleaned and re-used, I tend to sideline them to limit the potential for cured coating particles causing damage. Small, low quality towels sold in a “tissue box” style packaging are a handy thing to have on hand, but at less than a $1.00 each, I also treat these as single use.

IMG-9697.jpg

Having said that, what should you do to wash and store your towel inventory properly? The following generally applies to all microfiber towels, no matter their size, shape, weave type or use case. This also applies to microfiber wash mitts, applicators and polishing pads.

IMG-8359.jpg

-Have a “clean dirty bucket”. This is a separate, clean bucket used to store used towels before washing. In other words, a laundry basket.

IMG_5657.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

-Wash your towels as soon as possible. As in, wash your car, when you are finished, wash your towels.

There is evidence to support the idea that towels used for applying certain products, such as Si02 type ceramic sprays, can cause them to become hydrophobic over time. Washing them straight away mitigates against this.

IMG-0888.jpg

-Use a specific microfiber detergent. These are generally designed to deep clean your towels, removing product residue more effectively. These can also help revive older towels and prolong their life. These products work can be used to clean used polishing pads as well. At the very least, ensure you are using a liquid laundry detergent WITHOUT fabric softeners and NO bleach. Suitable microfiber specific detergents include –

Micro-Restore

P&S Rags to Riches

Bowden’s Own Microfiber Wash (AUS)

3D Towel Kleen

Poorboys Typhoon

Gyeon Q2M Towel Wash

McKees 37 Microfiber Cleaner/Rejuvenator

Chemical Guys Microfiber Wash

Carpro MFX

IMG-0318.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

-For towels that have been used to clean excessively dirty areas or have been used to apply a dressing of some sort, consider pre-rinsing or soaking them in the sink before running them through the washing machine. Some will even wash these separately to other towels.

IMG_0230.jpg

-Use cold to warm water. DO NOT use HOT water. Doing so will compromise the fibers.

-I like to air dry towels indoors to prevent contamination. You can also use a dryer on LOW heat.

oct208.jpg

-Once dry, fold and sort them back into usage categories. I find this is a good time to quickly inspect the towel for any imbedded debris, especially important on towels that touch the paint.

IMG-1073.jpg

-Storage will come down to your setup and space. I store them in airtight containers that have been separated into usage categories, having them colour coded helps in this regard, ie green for interiors, red for engine bay, black for wheels and so on. Make sure the towels are 100% dry before storing them in sealed containers though. If you have a clean, dust free garage, then storing them in a cabinet or drawer without a container will be fine.

IMG-7310.jpg

IMG-2180.jpg

IMG-6582.jpg

-Even with correct care, towels will still age over time with regular use. Demote and replace these as needed, especially important for towels used on paint.

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

Trouble Shooting –

-If you are having trouble with linting, there are two causes for this. You have linting towel/s, in which case you will need to track down the culprit and eliminate the offender/s. I have to say, in all the years of using microfiber towels, I have never had to do this.

The other cause can be from using the wrong type of towel for a particular task. This typically relates to using thicker towels on glass, in this case switch to a twist-loop or waffle weave type towel.

IMG-5825.jpg

-If you have towels that have become less absorbent or have lost their plushness, then I would highly recommend trying Rags to Riches detergent. This has revived some of my older towels in the past, and with continued use, has kept them in rotation for longer. If this fails to revive them, then it’s time to sideline the towel/s for something newer.

-This is not really a trouble shooting point, but just good practice. ALWAYS wash brand new towels before use.

IMG-0481.jpg

IMG-5298.jpg

IMG-2090.jpg

A lot of this will sound like overkill, but most of it is quick, routine steps to ensure you get the best out of your towels and limit the installation “love marks”.

jan21261.jpg
Sponsored

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Chemical Guys recommend washing them in hot water. They state it opens the fibers to release trapped dirt. Interstingly, nothing else I have read recommends hot. That being said, I only reuse the drying towels I have due to the $30 each price.

All the other smaller ones I wash in hot then they become house cleaning or garage rags.

That being said, Chemical Guys want to sell me stuff, OP doesn't...

Thanks for the post.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Chemical Guys recommend washing them in hot water. They state it opens the fibers to release trapped dirt. Interstingly, nothing else I have read recommends hot. That being said, I only reuse the drying towels I have due to the $30 each price.

All the other smaller ones I wash in hot then they become house cleaning or garage rags.

Thanks for the post.
Using cold to warm water is all I have ever needed, so I wouldn't personally use hot water. Keep in mind, Chemical Guys want you to buy more towels. :wink:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The learning continues... :cool:

I admit D, I am not QUITE as OCD as you are but I do take care with my towels. It seems I do everything as you described including the "laundry basket" aka Rubbermaid tub. But, the one thing I have never done but will in the future is, washing NEW towels. Makes sense, just not something that ever crossed my mind.

Have not found a better vendor than the Rag Company.

As always, thanks for the tutorial on towels my friend, you be The Man! :-)

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
The learning continues... :cool:

I admit D, I am not QUITE as OCD as you are but I do take care with my towels. It seems I do everything as you described including the "laundry basket" aka Rubbermaid tub. But, the one thing I have never done but will in the future is, washing NEW towels. Makes sense, just not something that ever crossed my mind.

Have not found a better vendor than the Rag Company.

As always, thanks for the tutorial on towels my friend, you be The Man! :-)
I never did either. Most towels are warehoused in bulk and sit on a shelf for ages, once I learnt that, it was something I made sure to follow through with to be on the safe side. Also, some towels need to be washed before use to properly activate them.

FlatRock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N0404
D does it make a difference if I wash my glass towels with towels I removed wax or detailing sprays with? I notice my glass towels lose their effectiveness quickly and I wonder if it’s from being washed with the horde. I use Adams Microfiber wash. GOOD catch stating to wash quickly, I need to get better at that. Thanks!

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
D does it make a difference if I wash my glass towels with towels I removed wax or detailing sprays with? I notice my glass towels lose their effectiveness quickly and I wonder if it’s from being washed with the horde. I use Adams Microfiber wash. GOOD catch stating to wash quickly, I need to get better at that. Thanks!
I would soak the wax towels in a concentrated version of your chosen microfiber cleaner for an hour in warm water. Either then wash them separately or rinse them under running water before throwing them into the washing machine with the rest of your load.

A couple of things you could try to revive these glass towels -

- Try soaking them in warm water with your microfiber detergent, then run them on through your machine with warm water.

- Next time you need detergent, I would highly recommend trying Rags to Riches. This was a collaboration between The Rag Company and P&S, so has been finely tailored for the job at hand. The biggest selling point is it not only cleans towels, but it rejuvenates older ones too.

P&S Detail Products - Rags to Riches | The Rag Company
P&S | Rags to Riches Microfiber Detergent | Car Supplies Warehouse
P&S Double Black Rags to Riches Detergent (autogeek.net)

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

Thanks for the post.
One of the reasons I stopped buying Chemical Guys stuff is because they put out incorrect information at times (the other is they have 50 products that do the same thing, totally unnecessary). Using hot water and drying with medium to high heat will actually melt parts of the fibers and compromise the towels. I always air dry mine and use the delicates cycle in the washing machine.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Great stuff D! Rags to Riches is what I have been using and love it. Will have to give some of the others a try at some point.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
One of the reasons I stopped buying Chemical Guys stuff is because they put out incorrect information at times (the other is they have 50 products that do the same thing, totally unnecessary). Using hot water and drying with medium to high heat will actually melt parts of the fibers and compromise the towels. I always air dry mine and use the delicates cycle in the washing machine.
Agreed on chemical guys. I used to go there because they have a location close to me. But after the 3rd time getting conflicting information from them between what the store employee told me, what the bottle says, and what thier website/youtube says, I quit going. Pretty much get my stuff from the local Jax Wax shop or from the interwebs.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks D! I wouldn’t have thought about a lot of this. I have been using warm water, so I’m good there, but I think I’m going to just buy a whole brand new set and start from scratch.
Sponsored