Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on PPL2

Cody5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Performance Pack
I'm sure a few of you have swapped the stock Sport Cup 2 tires out for these or others and wanted your input.

How would you rate the over all feel of the car versus the factory tires?

Also was rock slinging decreased?

Thanks for any input.
Sponsored

m0.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ulixes
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic Mustang GT PP2
I swapped out for MPS4S at the 390 mile mark. I can't do much of a direct comparison as I was nowhere near pushing the car at that point. Even now, I just passed the 1000 mile mark, so my feedback is just with relatively mild-mannered driving. Having said that, the car feels planted to the ground with them on. At one point in a sharp turn, they felt like they were getting loose, but control came back quick and there was no sliding or chirping of the tires even. Anyhow, point is that for daily driving, they are great tires. I have not driven with them on the rain, but I had pilot super sports (similar-ish to the MPS4S from what I remember) and I didnt have wet traction issues with those, nor am I expecting issues with these.

As for rock slinging, it is much more better! I barely hear any rocks anymore (unlike the SC2s which had more rocks thrown towards the car, than a spaceship going thru an asteroid field in a sci-fi movie).

m0.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ulixes
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to say, I swapped out for 325s in the rear when I did that. You lose that stretched tire look in the rear and it matches the poke from the front better. Look for pics I've posted and you'll see what I mean. Also, look for pics @Prokiller put up (this one kept me going while I was waiting for my car to be built :like:)

Prokiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT & 2018 Mustang GT PP2
Forgot to say, I swapped out for 325s in the rear when I did that. You lose that stretched tire look in the rear and it matches the poke from the front better. Look for pics I've posted and you'll see what I mean. Also, look for pics @Prokiller put up (this one kept me going while I was waiting for my car to be built :like:)
thank you! glad i could help :)

they are much more street friendly tires. drove this morning to work in the rain. never slipped. hopefully when i leave it will be dry so i can give it the business a little bit. overall an excellent tire for the car. may not be the almost slicks of the factory SC2s, but they are fantastic. no regrets and will get them again in the future without a second thought.

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I took mine off at 1k miles. Haven't noticed a ton of difference. These tires along with the suspension allow for more higher grip than one should be using on the street.

Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
There are several high performance summer tires in stock 305/30/19 or even 325/30/19. MPS4's are probably THE best, but they are pricey. I swapped for 305/30/19 Bridgestone Potenza S-04's before it left the dealer and sold the SC2's. The S-04's have been great so far at 5,900 miles. They were about $400-$500 cheaper than the MPS4's. I have tracked them one time and they did pretty well (although I don't know what I gave up with the SC2's). I took a 35 mph exit the other night with my wife at close to 80. The car didn't even flinch. When I told her it had more in it, her reply was, "That was enough."

The Continental Extreme Contact is another favored cheaper alternative (comparable to the S-04's in price) as is the Hankook Ventus V12 which is about half the price of the MPS4's. However, I think I may try the MPS4's next time just to see if they are that much better. I've also seen 305/35/19's which fill out the wheel wells a little better and are reported not to rub. Decisions, decisions.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm sure a few of you have swapped the OE Sport Cup 2 tires out for others & wanted your input.
Put less than 30 miles on the PP2 OE Michelin tires, then swapped them out for Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires. Kept 305/30x19 on the front, but upgraded the rears to 325/30x19. The slightly taller 325 tires increased ride height by +/- 0.25" but was offset by the installation of Steeda springs (555-8243). I have no plans to track the car so absolute adhesion is not a primary factor, but having the 340 wear factor is. Ford indicates a skid pad rating of 1.06g for the Cup 2 tires. We did a 'quick & dirty' skid pad test & got 0.997 w/the Continentals which pretty much relates to zero difference on the street. Plus, the 325 tire most definitely fills out the rear tire well & (as m0.s550 indicated) "it matches the 'poke' from the front better." :)

lil'Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane Landis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 1993 Ford Lightning 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara 2004 Ford F150
Any of you who have taken the cup 2's off right away that want to sell them let me know as I may be interested in them for my pp1. Thanks

Teej

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 401A, PP2 & 2017 Mazda 6 6spd
I plan on driving my PP2 with thecup 2s until they die. If I’m lucky maybe 5k-10k miles on then. Then planning to switch to MPS4s after that. I would think I could tell a difference but depends on street / curvy road driving. I won’t know though till either later in the year or maybe next year. Hoping the stocks last me at least this year before I put her away for the winter.

nameuser

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2, 1969 Chevelle
Vehicle Showcase
I took off the SC2's at 350 miles and swapped them for General Gmax in the same size. The Gmax's are a 102y and have a much higher wear rating as well as a good wet weather rating. I've only put 300 miles on them and so far I am pleased but haven't pushed them. Rock throwing is much, much better and tram lining is almost a non-issue. I paid $198ea from tire rack.
I bought some 6gR wheels from a member here that are 11" front, 11.5" rears with toyo r888's. I'd hoped to sell the sc2's to offset the cost of these but sadly the rears hit the magnaride with the 325 toyo's. Anyone know if I swap out to the sc2 305 width would it be stretched too far on an 11.5" wheel? I'm thinking the less wide tire will give me the ~10mm clearance I need without going to a spacer.

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
... sadly the rears hit the Magneride w/the 325 Toyo tires. Anyone know if I swap out to the SC2 305 width would it be stretched too far on an 11.5" wheel? I'm thinking the less wide tire will give me the ~10mm clearance I need w/out going to a spacer.
Your contact issue w/the 325 tire is a wheel offset problem, not a tire width problem. I have Continental 325/30x19 tires on OE PP2 11" rims on the rear w/zero issues. If your existing rim is offset too much to the inside, even a 305 tire may not work. Hopefully someone on this site w/the exact same rim as you have can verify a 305 tire fitment. Both Michelin & Continental recommend a 10.5" to 11.5" rim width for their 305/30x19 tire. One final thought ... a 305 tire mounted on an 11.5" rim on the backside of the S550 Mustang (especially a GT) may present some unique handling issues. Maybe someone out there can provide more concise information on this (potential) issue.

m0.s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ulixes
Vehicle(s)
...Plus, the 325 tire most definitely fills out the rear tire well & (as m0.s550 indicated) "it matches the 'poke' from the front better." :)

Evenpoke, thoughts arrive like butterflies. :rockon:

(Pearl Jam isn't really a favorite band for me, but that song popped into my head when I went to post this pic lol)

upload_2019-5-6_15-13-8.png
Sponsored