Sponsored

MGW Spring Removal

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
madlag, Thanks for the link. I assume you have the ashiko model. Sure looks like a high quality product.
it is. I tried a few diff ones. CJPP which looked good but was too light (the factory knob weight was superior to it) and some others. Ashiko won out easily.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I've had my MGW apart to experiment with springs. The spring you're talking about is inside the red anodized column on the shifter and is easily swapped out.
Experimenting w springs.. What’d ya find out?

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
Experimenting w springs? What’d ya find out?
I wasn't a fan of the push down release, that's always been my only con and I felt it was overly stiff. I've tried several different springs of different materials. I eventually settled on a plastic spring I felt had the best feel. Nothing exciting.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I wasn't a fan of the push down release, that's always been my only con and I felt it was overly stiff. I've tried several different springs of different materials. I eventually settled on a plastic spring I felt had the best feel. Nothing exciting.
The reverse spring is the same spring that’s removed in the first post video?

Also, just basing this on the video, but did you try it with no spring installed?

Sponsored

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
The reverse spring is the same spring that’s removed in the first post video?

Also, just basing this on the video, but did you try it with no spring installed?
There is also a spring inside the red column directly under the shift knob that returns the shifter to the highest position. The spring in the video is the return spring which affects the feeling of shifting through the gears, not pushing down to enter reverse.

Edit: The spring I swapped out prevents you from somehow entering reverse. Removing it entirely would be a bad idea.

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'm unfortunately, or should I say fortunately for others, the reason that video exists. I wasn't aware that we were able to completely remove the spring, which is something that I believe should've been dictated in the instructions.

I actually removed and sold my MGW since the included spring was way to stiff for my liking and made the 3 to 2 and 5 to 4 downshift miserable for me.

While I wish I would've tried a heavier knob, or at least had knowledge of being able to remove the spring, I think MGW should include multiple spring options with their shifter. I would consider repurchasing another one if they did.

OP
OP
NoXiDe

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'm unfortunately, or should I say fortunately for others, the reason that video exists. I wasn't aware that we were able to completely remove the spring, which is something that I believe should've been dictated in the instructions. I actually removed my MGW since the included spring was way to stiff for my liking and made the 3 to 2 and 5 to 4 downshift miserable for me.

While, I wish I would've tried a heavier knob, or removing the spring, I think MGW should include multiple spring options with their shifter. I would consider repurchasing another one if they did.
Glad to see the v2 is with a great owner. Yeah, I wish they had several choices but I think the heavier shift knob will also work too so I just bought a 675 gram knob and look forward to installing it in a few weeks when it's shipped.

jashton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Glad to see the v2 is with a great owner. Yeah, I wish they had several choices but I think the heavier shift knob will also work too so I just bought a 675 gram knob and look forward to installing it in a few weeks when it's shipped.
I think a 1.5 pound knob will make a difference haha!

I was really frustrated after my first track outing with the shifter that I immediately removed it. Literally ruined the day for me since I couldn't downshift the car without a fight.

It sucked putting the stock assembly back in, especially after seeing how stout the MGW is built.

trevman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT3fiddy
Anyone try the Billetworkz Sledge? 2.2 lbs of Stainless Steel:

upload_2020-3-25_23-44-42.png

Sponsored

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Wait so what you guys are saying is there are more gears after 1st gear? And here I've been wondering why the RPMs are pegged at 70mph!!!!

I love the MGW. I have a weighted knob from Billetworks (sp) and find it easy to down shift from 3rd to 2nd. But I'm also not being track aggressive in my down shifting either so.....I'll shut up now and go back to playing with my little green soldier figurines.
I didnt think you ever drove the car!!!! Never see you out!!!

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Drove an MGW in 3 corvettes over a 13 yr period. Never had an issue with the spring. Yeah it's stiff, just put a little side pressure on it and it goes right into 2nd from 3rd. You think the 6 spd is bad, try it in a 7 spd corvette.
The spring is made that way so you don't miss the 2nd to 3rd upshift. It'll soften a little over time.