Sponsored

MGW first look at 2015 shifter development and oem shifter breakdown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
With all those upgrades, I might be willing to live with the push-down lockout... really looking forward to some more details, especially price! Hopefully it's also compatible with the ecoboosts.
Sponsored

Triple Wile E

Paxton'd Wile E
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 TYPP Mustang GT
I'll be looking forward to getting one of these fine shifters it worked amazing in my 04 Cobra. There is no need to waste money on any other shifter. So the wait continues lol.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I just posted this information as a result of an invitation to do so by the forum admin.

I did not mean to get everyone all stressed about "hyping" the market up lol...
Mama always told me to "not believe the hype" :)

We have been making shifters for about 14 years and in that time the MARKET not MGW has laid claim to us making the best quality shifters on the market.

I surely do not expect anyone to buy an MGW shifter just because i said so :D
And many happy customers have said how pleased they've been, so we understand about your very positive reputation!

I will be providing IN DEPTH details of the shifter and its advantages over oem when the time comes to release it. The shifter is STILL in development so its just premature right now.
Understand...

For those that like the pull up ring design , thats great and the oem or other aftermarkets will offer this for you so no biggie. We just are going by the overwhelming feedback from previous mt-82 customers as well as prospective new customers we have received over the last 6 months. If the tides change and enough people ask for a pull up ring function then we will surely revisit it.
I personally like the pull-up ring function but have wondered about how it would function after many shift repetitions. Of course, we presume Ford tested this quite extensively, but I still remain curious.

in any event... the new shifter will....
- have 25-30 percent reduction in throw. COOL

- have internal return springs for a much better 2-3 shift. COOL

- have nickel boron treated 1 inch long front and rear support bushings rather than the .280" thick plastic bushings which are the SAME as the 2011-2014 and have been proven to NOT provide enough support for racing and hard shifting. Drag racing and speed shifting, yes?

- will eliminate the oem linkage rod which has 4 ( four!!!!!!! :eyebulge:) swivel joints because the transmission is shifting up and offcenter of the shifter. We have a cnc machined steel linkage rod that will come right out of the centerline of the output shaft and into our shifter box. this will give a solid smooth " top loader" feel to the shifter. Now this sounds like a significant improvement

- the rear support bracket will have interchangeable inserts of different durometer( hardness) for street and track duty. They will provide much much more support and rigidity than the oem bracket. SOUNDS GOOD

- the front arm design will absolutely negate the need for a trans bracket.
We get a lot of feedback about how it must be solid mounted to the trans and not the body. SOUNDS VERY GOOD

There is logic to both for both rigidity AND vibration dampening. Our design will provide the rigidity of a trans mounted shifter AND the linear vibration dissipation of the body mounted shifter. This is what I would be looking at most - how much NVH management as compared to stock

I'll have several units in test cars AND independent test vehicles by years end so you guys can make the determination if its something you want.

- thats it for the BREAKING news for today. :shrug:

George Ciamillo
Thanks you, George, for taking the time to answer here. It is much appreciated!!

Feeshta

Threads
Reaction score
You can put me firmly in the crowd who would prefer the pull up ring to the push down function. The advantage of the ring is that it removes the play introduced to the shift lever by the push down aspect, as the lever will still move up and down no matter where is is in the shift pattern unless you use a really stiff spring, and using a stiff spring makes getting into revers a pain in the rear. Going with a ring (or a push-through gate as BMW uses) eliminates this slop and results in a firmer, more positive action, and the ring takes about 10 seconds to get used to. I've used it on a friends STI a couple times, and it was entirely natural even though I've only driven the car maybe three times.

I do have to say I am impressed with the picture posted above, especially if the price listed is anywhere near accurate. Shifter kits for BMW start at $400 or so, and one of this level would be near 1k, if it even existed, so the idea of getting something like that for $250 is a bit mind-boggling to me.

As an aside, anyone else ever driven an old Mini Cooper? They have the weirdest reverse engagement I have ever seen. You have to pull up on the whole shifter, push away from you (this is a right drive car, so that would be with your left arm) and back. That method also eliminates the slop, but good luck figuring out how to get into reverse if nobody has told you. :)

forg0tmypen

Threads
Reaction score
how difficult of an install is a new shifter?
In my C6Z, I installed a MGW shifter. They are actually not too hard, just getting the interior trim apart is the tricky thing. Dont know how Fords are, but the Vette was all clips, plugs and screws and was pretty straight forward for even me. So I would assume there'll be instructions like there were for my old Z06. Lots of room for error.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my C6Z, I installed a MGW shifter. They are actually not too hard, just getting the interior trim apart is the tricky thing. Dont know how Fords are, but the Vette was all clips, plugs and screws and was pretty straight forward for even me. So I would assume there'll be instructions like there were for my old Z06. Lots of room for error.
There's a bit more involved in getting a shifter installed with the '05 and up Mustangs because the shifter is remotely mounted and not directly connected to the top of the transmission.

What is being presented here is a complete replacement of the shifter and mounting hardware. You actually have to go underneath the car to access part of the attachment points.

forg0tmypen

Threads
Reaction score
Aftermarket person rags on oem, more breaking news at 10:00.

Will be interesting when you get an alternative built & can quantify performance differences though.
The feel of an MGW is worth the money even if performance gains are negligible. You have to own one to understand the feel and build quality is second to none. For me, once I went to MGW I couldnt use the stock shifter anymore. Its how it should come from the factory.

forg0tmypen

Threads
Reaction score
There's a bit more involved in getting a shifter installed with the '05 and up Mustangs because the shifter is remotely mounted and not directly connected to the top of the transmission.

What is being presented here is a complete replacement of the shifter and mounting hardware. You actually have to go underneath the car to access part of the attachment points.
That is very interesting to know. Im assuming the S550 is included in the "2005 and up"? Or do we not know exactly what is involved yet?

plateofshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dgghdgxktsif
MGW has good detailed videos on youtube. There's a good amount of time spent under the car for the Mustang install. Worth it for me though. The stock shifter would frequently miss 3rd when downshifting from 4th in a turn, garbage. Infuriating hitting the apex and getting on the gas only to find out you're still in neutral. Haven't missed a shift yet with the MGW.

fionic

spaghettios and cheerios
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
MGW has good detailed videos on youtube. There's a good amount of time spent under the car for the Mustang install. Worth it for me though. The stock shifter would frequently miss 3rd when downshifting from 4th in a turn, garbage. Infuriating hitting the apex and getting on the gas only to find out you're still in neutral. Haven't missed a shift yet with the MGW.
as long as ramps or jack stands are okay :)

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is very interesting to know. Im assuming the S550 is included in the "2005 and up"? Or do we not know exactly what is involved yet?
It's the same configuration (remote-mounted), which can be seen in some of the closer shots of the underside.

Thanks for the reference for installation and your experience!

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Do we even need this in our 2015?

USPSALIMITED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 GT PP Guard
Do we even need this in our 2015?
Didn't reread all reviews to find out what they said about shifting in the 15, can't remember anything bad, did notice this from a road and track review -

"And they fixed the small things: the pedal placement is perfect for heel-and-toe; the shifter is snappy and direct"

At this point I'm thinking see what the oem feels like and what folks say after the 15 aftermarket shifter is designed and tested. My gut feel is that this is not a problem (need) but it might be an opportunity (more fun).

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Reduction in the throws or length of shifter is one reason why I have NOT changed my shifter. If I do anything to mine, it will be to use Blowfish Racing's bracket which appears to just mount the shifter properly- to the trans. Remote mounting is the worst possible way in my opinion to do it, and any design that retains remote mount is just a compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.