Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Spent a couple hours in the mountains yesterday. Car got up to temps in the low 200's for engine oil, coolant. And trans and diff pills were in the high 100's.

Immediately began noticing a noise above 3500 to 4000 echoing off the mountain walls at partial throttle. At full throttle the exhaust would drown it out. Sounded exactly like someone else described. A plastic bag out on the wind at 100mph. Curious what part number my car has on it as it's one of the first 10 built for 2018.
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If it truly is a resonance issue and not something coming loose, I wonder if something like lead tape would help add mass to the unit and change it's harmonics due to the added mass. May even be something that could be added without R&R of the transmission. I may try and pick some up locally and at least give it a shot before turning it over to the dealership for what sounds like a long journey there.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Kyle, when are we doing a mountain ride? Let's get these 2 GT350's around helen or something. I'd be curious to also hear what your hearing.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I was just up there yesterday and ran into another GT350. Just PM me and we'll work something out. I've never really heard the noise commuting into work and back but yesterday it sounded like the paper bag description or an exhaust leak. Found some lead foil tape that you use for golf clubs to try and attached to the plate from underneath the car to see if that serves as any assistance whatsoever.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Mine’s doing it now too. Some dynamatt might dampen it out

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
5E6A03D2-EF59-4B33-B28D-B98BFF864EA6.jpeg
My car also had a rattle. Sounded like a heat shield or something like that. I decided to crawl under the car and found that donut shaped sound dampening device was loose. Tighten it up and was good to go! Another 350 also had the same issue!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
5E6A03D2-EF59-4B33-B28D-B98BFF864EA6.jpeg
My car also had a rattle. Sounded like a heat shield or something like that. I decided to crawl under the car and found that donut shaped sound dampening device was loose. Tighten it up and was good to go! Another 350 also had the same issue!
What size socket did you use? I assume you raised the car some? To get access??

Shelby Nick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
None
I just jacked up one side of the car and used jackstands. I got some light under the car and luckily was able to find it. The other side was fine, just one side was loose. Sorry, but I forget what size socket I used. Good luck, I hope it’s that simple fix!

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I'll take mine in for it, I park in my condo garage and the retired people who are the condo police force (they have nothing better to do) would get pissy if I had the car up on stands. But thanks, I will show my service writer the picture. I get that metallic plastic bag in the wind sound at 4k rpm or so.....as other have said, if I'm next to barrier or something..you really hear it.

Sponsored

s550_dav

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Corel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350

This is the rattle from the underneath that I’m having. Anyone knows if this thing is normal? Or is the the bell housing plate as well? It’s kinda driving me nuts lol

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I heard it yesterday on my car when I got next to another car or median. Happened to pull this thread up. If nothing is loose and it is a common resonance issue, unless it gets worse I am not going to have the dealership try to poke around under the car. I will mention it to my friend who is a tech at a local dealership and see what he says and if others have complained.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Jacked the car up tonight and put an entire roll of lead tape onto the panel between the engine and the transmission. There's a decent sized portion of it directly exposed near the oil drain. Will be curious to see if this has any effect whatsoever.

Lead tape cost me $10 from Dick's sporting goods in the golf department. It would be awesome if a fix was this easy.
Sponsored