Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Issue: Metallic rattling around 4k RPMs when cold or hot but not warm. Sounds like a trash bag being held out the window.

What is it? There is a metal cover over the transmission bell housing that protects from debris entering.

Solution: Attempt to get a dealer to properly diagnose the problem which results in your drivetrain getting torn apart to replace a flimsy piece of metal. Or easily add dynamat to the exposed surface area of the transmission bell housing cover.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/
Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Fantastic. If I don't get the expected results from this lead tape attempt I'll switch to dynamat. Please keep us up to date with how it holds up.

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
@mavisky if the tape works please post some pics or if you go the dynamat approach some pics of it after it is done. @GrabberBlue if you have pics of post the dynamat update that would be helpful.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
My dynamat solution has been working since January. Here is a picture of the solution. I made a paper template then cut out the dynamat from it. I used three layers of dynamat to ensure there is enough mass to dampen the harmonics.
IMG_20190110_220743.jpg

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Wondering when I had my engine replaced they did not tighten this plate enough. Assuming it comes offf when they remove the engine. Oh well I’ve got dynamatt someplace stored away. Be sure to clean the surface of the plate with alcohol before you press it on.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

hp1000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350

Sponsored

Robert hoffrichter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss --- 2007 Mustang gt
Not to disagree with Tank, but simply to throw out another perspective...First, noises are about as close to 100% as you can get from being impossible to diagnose on a forum. Sometime video/recordings help, but only if it's something extremely odd that really stands out. Second, with only 600 miles on the car, and the self disclosed fact this is the first time you've gotten on it good, quite possible (and extremely likely) you are not even intimate enough with your car yet to know what she sounds like. And even within a same car, each one is different. You may very very likely just still be learning your gal. Third, I think a lot of posts here lately have people completely paranoid and straight out freaked the f$%& out about this car to the point they're scared to drive them. People overanalyze every single little sound and rattle (I have more that one friend who's put off buying one due to oil consumption and blown engine threads).

Not making a recommendation, but at your mileage and condition, I'd be driving it like I stole it to shake her down and see where it goes...but that's just me.

And you care correct...you would not hear piston slap under WOT.
You are absolutely 100% right
Not to disagree with Tank, but simply to throw out another perspective...First, noises are about as close to 100% as you can get from being impossible to diagnose on a forum. Sometime video/recordings help, but only if it's something extremely odd that really stands out. Second, with only 600 miles on the car, and the self disclosed fact this is the first time you've gotten on it good, quite possible (and extremely likely) you are not even intimate enough with your car yet to know what she sounds like. And even within a same car, each one is different. You may very very likely just still be learning your gal. Third, I think a lot of posts here lately have people completely paranoid and straight out freaked the f$%& out about this car to the point they're scared to drive them. People overanalyze every single little sound and rattle (I have more that one friend who's put off buying one due to oil consumption and blown engine threads).

Not making a recommendation, but at your mileage and condition, I'd be driving it like I stole it to shake her down and see where it goes...but that's just me.

And you care correct...you would not hear piston slap under WOT.
you are so right, I've got a 2012 Boss got her up to about $514 horsepower to flywheel beautiful engine doesn't have any of the typewriter ticks the stuff that the the GT cars or the f-150s have it's a different engine inside different internals but it does have this annoying under heavy heavy throttle 3500 RPM enough it has that noise that you're describing I considered it's probably normal but I wanted to see how many other people have noticed it I think it happens to every one of them and only some people notice but you're right talking about people over analyze we have four valves four cams four independent chains there is a lot going on inside this engine, my favorite quote when I read these forums and they describe that they have piston slap and they're convinced it is piston slap then the next sentence says I got a Lund tune or somebody's tune and it went away! Well piston slap does not go away with a tune so I mean clearly people mean well but there's a lot more going on here I come from a family of engineers and I've been building race engines forever and I don't like the noises either but there are characteristics and a lot of things that are just normal that we're going to have to get used to but whatever it's doing get used to it and if it starts doing something drastic I mean when it goes if something breaks you will know it but I was concerned about this metallic raspiness under aggressive hard throttle at about 3500 RPM 4,000 RPMs and up but enough people are complaining about it that in my mind it's a normal characteristic I'm going to disregard if you want to really interesting noisy engine try out my setup I've got a twin disc clutch centrifugal force rollers on the diaphragm spring running a 7500 RPM engine a torsion rear axle which isn't too bad if you run the friction modifier without it it makes it unique noises of its own I've got polyurethane bushings throughout the entire car and no insulation there's a waste too much just a thin layer of carpet try driving that for some noises it drives me nuts and I know what it is anyway good read...

davidfigs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David Figs
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R
Would love to hear a 3/4 year update since doing this fix. My car has started to show the same symptoms after about ~8 hours of hard track time this year.

The car is still under warranty but the thought of getting the transmission out to replace it isn't comforting.