Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I've been researching this to hell and seem to get the same answers of some saying it's normal and some saying that they don't know what I'm talking about. The majority saying that this normal. I've owned a 2003 GT and a 2007 GT before with the Tremecs and they never had this issue so I panicked too when I felt those thuds.
Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Can anyone confirm these inserts fix the problem
Someone made a thread about the bmr ones fixing his. This really is not much different then the wrxs and sti. They had a klunk come from the rear end when shifted hard or launched. Companies made poly to metal bushings to fix it. The thud isnt a big deal. For people racing a lot you should change them, for the casual non racer, ignore it.

Last edited:

Hwy1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
what we have here is Ford putting out a performance car that they wanted a smooth, clean and soft ride...
THEY DONT MIX..
It's up to us to either go big or go smooth.. I choose mods.
This car with a few mods. mentioned will become the GT you thought you were buying..
I love adding mods.
Game on...:)
Which means after a few bushings here and there, we will have a driveline that rocks, but could be noisier then the old rubber mounted one..

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
what we have here is Ford putting out a performance car that they wanted a smooth, clean and soft ride...
THEY DONT MIX..
It's up to us to either go big or go smooth.. I choose mods.
This car with a few mods. mentioned will become the GT you thought you were buying..
I love adding mods.
Game on...:)
Which means after a few bushings here and there, we will have a driveline that rocks, but could be noisier then the old rubber mounted one..
thats what sells to the masses. We are the minority unfortunately. At least there is aftermarket fixes

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Can anyone confirm these inserts fix the problem
JewishThunder already mentioned the BMR kit fixed it for him. I have the Steeda kit on the way and will install ASAP. A report will be forthcoming!

Sponsored

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP, 401A
I have 2016 GT pp and I have BMR differential and cradle lockout kits installed. I still have it when I shift above 5500 rpm. I don't shift at that high rpm often but I also get it Every now and then when normal driving. I also have the Barton shifter installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I have 2016 GT pp and I have BMR differential and cradle lockout kits installed. I still have it when I shift above 5500 rpm. I don't shift at that high rpm often but I also get it Every now and then when normal driving. I also have the Barton shifter installed.
So, are you saying those mods did at least help?

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
Oh they help reduce wheel hop a lot and made the rear of the car feel more planted and less squishy. But the bump when shifting is still there. Doesn't happen all the time tho.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I havent chimed in on this thread in awhile. Ive owned sticks in mazda and ford trucks. My old foxbody was a five speed. Never a regular thud or clunk as such ive experienced in the s550. I dont mind it too much I guess if theres no damage being done. Could it just be an mt82 / independent rear combo issue??

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Mine is doing the exact same thing. It scares me sometimes at stoplights if I have it in neutral and then go into first and hear the noise.
Same thing here. Didn't read all 11 pages of this thread.

I am seriously considering the Steeda shifter that was just released. Looking forward to some feedback on users who've installed this shifter.

Sponsored

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
I havent chimed in on this thread in awhile. Ive owned sticks in mazda and ford trucks. My old foxbody was a five speed. Never a regular thud or clunk as such ive experienced in the s550. I dont mind it too much I guess if theres no damage being done. Could it just be an mt82 / independent rear combo issue??

I don't think is the independent rear because my 2011 GT did the same thing. Literally the same exact noise. I personally think with all the slack in the driveline from the two piece driveshaft

Knight5.0

Project Lightning
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
Same thing here. Didn't read all 11 pages of this thread.

I am seriously considering the Steeda shifter that was just released. Looking forward to some feedback on users who've installed this shifter.

I have noticed that if you push in the clutch and count to three then put it in first gear that I do not have the "thud" anymore.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Oh they help reduce wheel hop a lot and made the rear of the car feel more planted and less squishy. But the bump when shifting is still there. Doesn't happen all the time tho.

Really? I wonder what the other member used to rid his.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I don't think is the independent rear because my 2011 GT did the same thing. Literally the same exact noise. I personally think with all the slack in the driveline from the two piece driveshaft

If that's the case then we're talking about a different noise. Shifting hard is going to make noise and shifting is going to make some noise no matter what but shifting into first from neutral shouldn't feel or sound like you got rear ended.

There are lots of noises from any car, and face it, it's hard to troubleshoot things and communicate elaborate issues over the internet. I had a very early build date 2011 GT MT82 and I never had this noise.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I have noticed that if you push in the clutch and count to three then put it in first gear that I do not have the "thud" anymore.

That's because you're giving the input shaft time to spin down. That is expected operation; see my earlier post.

As far a the "thud" or "clunk" that occurs when driving, perhaps someone can post a video using a GoPro under the car so we can see what's moving in the rear end or transmission tunnel when the noise occurs.
Sponsored