Sponsored

Manual Sync3 Updates

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
thats why I like the Sat Nav built into the car
what makes you think the Ford incarnation isn't phoning home? If you want air-gapped GPS, buy a unit you slap on the dash. As to the rights prompts, go into android app settings and choose deny. On initial launch it may still bitch about "why won't you let me spy on you" but after that it should shut up and deal.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Surely everybody uses Google Maps so not sure why it matters about updating the Ford maps?
Not me. The Ford Sat nav works well and I rarely have problems with it being out of date even in Europe, although I am running the latest version of the maps.

Not a fan of Android Auto but I do use the Applink function in Sync

Not everybody lives in an area with good data connections for Google maps or even wants to use it to consume what data we have.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Data is very cheap now and can save maps offline. But everyone too their own

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Data is very cheap now and can save maps offline. But everyone too their own
You clearly don't live in the countryside ! We are lucky to get a 'g' never mind 3 or 4 of them which means having the maps downloaded before you start. I use my nav for many destinations each day with no prior warning so not really practical.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
what makes you think the Ford incarnation isn't phoning home? If you want air-gapped GPS, buy a unit you slap on the dash. As to the rights prompts, go into android app settings and choose deny. On initial launch it may still bitch about "why won't you let me spy on you" but after that it should shut up and deal.
android auto will continue to prompt for permissions even when told to take a hike, like I say it's my choice :)

You clearly don't live in the countryside ! We are lucky to get a 'g' never mind 3 or 4 of them which means having the maps downloaded before you start. I use my nav for many destinations each day with no prior warning so not really practical.
yeah, mobile signal isn't great up here either with far to many no signal zones - esp up in the Highlands where the fun roads are :D

OP asked about updating sync, now he has managed this feat so everybody happy :like:

Sponsored

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
i have a tinfoil hat that I wear and dont allow full unrestricted access of Apps on my phone - some apps work fine with those restrictions, others do not and mostly get removed. Some apps just keep harping on about wanting to read my calendar or my contacts despite the fact they dont need those to work. Other apps of course use root privileges to just read what they want without prompting, I try avoid them but really it's impossible on any Android Phone to do that.

As for Google Maps, yeah it's ok but having it upload every single second of my day to the big data collection is not something I want to do. My preference, I know they get it otherways but that's me and thats why I like the Sat Nav built into the car :)
on an average 5 mile journey in any city in the UK your ANPR will have been recorded probably 20 times.
If they want to find you. They won’t be asking Google.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I'm sure Raptor17GT is top of MI5 tracking list, they will want to know when and what supermarket he visits! :)

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
ah you guys are funny :D What are these city and ANPR and supermarket things you speak of? Up here we have a collection of huts and trees and big wide (and short and narrow) roads and we don't see much other road vehicles and all revs and all gears can be used as one sees fit. Ah bliss :rockon:
Except the weather is normally crap and the roads full of bloody tourists in ruddy camper vans! :explode:

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I keep getting this message pop up, it doesn't always appear. I plugged the USB back in and left it but it doesn't seemed to have fixed it. I haven't noticed any thing not working.

PSX-20191228-141913.jpg

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I just did the update and it went swimmingly; only took about 10 minutes after downloading and extracting the files. Had to get a large thumb drive--64GB was on sale at Staples for $10--and, per the instructions, format it to exFat (everybody's doing this, right?). Turn on the engine, plug in the thumb drive with extracted files and away it went.

Is everybody uploading the log file from the upload? If not, Ford implies you may get 'out of Sync' (heh) with the updates.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
@GR11M that almost implies it hadn't finished updating, how big was the update again? Even a 2/3GB update can take 30 minutes to finish updating in the car. I'm currently awaiting the Ford site to prepare my update for downloading, it really is a shockingly bad and inconsistent process.

@Bullitt0819 - yeah I save the log file to Ford to prevent that issue. exFAT all the way

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll just leave the USB connected and see what happens.

I can't do my updates from Ford as I upgraded my Sync 2 unit to Sync 3

Nevyn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevyn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang V8 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'll just leave the USB connected and see what happens.

I can't do my updates from Ford as I upgraded my Sync 2 unit to Sync 3
I’ll second the comment from @raptor17GT
A FAT32 formatted stick will be read by the system but the update fails to complete.
Must be ex-FAT to work properly.

OP
OP
GR11M

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I checked the version number and it definitely updated.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
anyone else struggling to download the update from ford website it took 3 hours of "hold on we're preparing your download" today for me twice before finally failing at the last minute.
Sponsored