N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Stick to the dragstrip old man, don't worry about the stuff that goes on in turns.
I'll never reply to any automatic trans thread again on one condition. Let's see a pic of ur Mustang. cheers bud !!
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Since you asked so nicely, I'll show you both:
And i'm a man of my word. Nice cars. Better than my junk.

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
I had never driven a Tremec 6 spd until I signed the papers and bought the car. I have owned an MT-82 before several times. Had the Mach1 had the MT-82 I would be driving an A10. The Tremec gets rave reviews from GT350 drivers and so I went with that. They were right, this transmission is fantastic!!!

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I got a manual. It is hands down the greatest feeling transmission I have ever driven. With flat foot shifting and launch control I am fairly certain the Tremmic will be able to keep up with the auto too. In a drag race with good tires I expect the launch alone could put the 6 speed slightly ahead.

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have been driving manual cars for over 40 years, so I'm biased. But, I claim it's not only more fun, more involving the drive in the drive, but safer. Imagine hitting black ice and being able to put the engine immediately in neutral. I've been there, I think with an automatic on black ice, it is much more likely to lose it.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
With flat foot shifting and launch control I am fairly certain the Tremmic will be able to keep up with the auto too.
It's a great unit for sure, and a big improvement over the MT82 garbage...but you've obviously never driven or raced a 10R80 if you think that. Even with power shifting, you will never outshift the auto and the gearing is much better in the 10R vs even the Tremec.

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
It's a great unit for sure, and a big improvement over the MT82 garbage...but you've obviously never driven or raced a 10R80 if you think that. Even with power shifting, you will never outshift the auto and the gearing is much better in the 10R vs even the Tremec.
It is less about the shifting and more about the launch control. Being able to dump the clutch at a higher RPM for a better launch is everything. The 60' is where the drag race really is and launching at idle RPM with a low stall stock converter isn't as good for that.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It is less about the shifting and more about the launch control. Being able to dump the clutch at a higher RPM for a better launch is everything. The 60' is where the drag race really is and launching at idle RPM with a low stall stock converter isn't as good for that.
You might be the first person to say that the 10R has a weak hole launch compared to a manual and that with an equal setup (power, suspension, tires etc) the manual will out launch it and then keep it behind rest of the quarter mile. You're forgetting that the 10R has a huge 1st gear advantage over the Tremec, and even the stock converter with it's low stall speed has a sizeable torque multiplication factor from a dig that when combined with the steep 1st gear makes for good launches.

There's a reason most of the top times are autos.

Look, there's no doubt the Tremec is a much better performing and feeling transmission to the MT82, but when it comes to straight line speed the 10R is king and that debate has long been settled.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
To be cooler on the Internet? Manual

To be better in your own head? Manual

To be faster in the real world? Automatic

Decide what matters to you and write the check.
The auto is undoubtedly faster in the real world in any scenario. I don’t think one is cooler than the other. Or necessarily better. It depends what purpose the car serves. For me, the manual was the right choice. “Cool” doesn’t factor into it. Had the circumstances driving my purchase been different I would have gone with the auto without hesitation. Just buy whatever suits your needs and don’t worry about being cool on the internet. No matter what trans you go with, this car is awesome.

Last edited:

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I have nothing against auto. I have built multiple auto drag cars before (though with full manual valve bodies) including a 1932 ford model 18 and a 68 Chevelle SS. I am not trying to pretend that the manual is somehow better. I am just saying that without a trans brake I wouldn't be surprised if you were to slap a pair of slicks on both cars so that the 6 speed could launch from a high enough RPM, the hole shot might squeek out a better ET than the automatic until you put a trans brake on it. Once you do that there is no competition anymore. Just putting that out there as my own opinion.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
To be cooler on the Internet? Manual

To be better in your own head? Manual

To be faster in the real world? Automatic

Decide what matters to you and write the check.
Where did you come up with that load of shit from? I got it because I enjoy shifting the car
Sponsored