Mach 1 winter wheels

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
okay, the diehard northern place the car in storage saying the suspension on the Mach makes it ver dangerous. It could be they just don't want to cause harm from salts..
A high hp RWD isn't exactly ideal for winter, but I've done fine with it. Narrower tires and especially getting a real winter tire helps. I think the biggest issue with the mach 1 for winter is the splitter in the snow. I wouldn't want to drive with that in deep snow.
Sponsored

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
A high hp RWD isn't exactly ideal for winter, but I've done fine with it. Narrower tires and especially getting a real winter tire helps. I think the biggest issue with the mach 1 for winter is the splitter in the snow. I wouldn't want to drive with that in deep snow.
Think of it like the front end of an ice breaking ship! It’s clearing the path for the rest of your car :cwl:

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

dead_miles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1 HP
These you can rotate. There is a new Continental DWS Sport + that is directional so be careful as I don not know which one American Muscle is using these days. I bought my setup few months ago
Gotcha - thanks for the heads up. Do you remember what the offset is for your wheels?

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

dead_miles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1 HP

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Think of it like the front end of an ice breaking ship! It’s clearing the path for the rest of your car :cwl:
I keep thinking of that Leno review where he mentions that when you need a new splitter on a Bugatti or whatever, you just order another Corvette.

I do wonder how much that splitter is aftermarket. I also keep hoping the HP is offered in the second half of 2022 as an aftermarket package, like some on the forum were saying will be the case.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I keep thinking of that Leno review where he mentions that when you need a new splitter on a Bugatti or whatever, you just order another Corvette.

I do wonder how much that splitter is aftermarket. I also keep hoping the HP is offered in the second half of 2022 as an aftermarket package, like some on the forum were saying will be the case.
It’s not terribly priced. About $400 if I remember correctly

alatr3on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Bringing back an older thread but I have a question I haven't been able to get full answer about.

So from this thread, it seems those 19" x 9.5" RTR Tech 7's are a good option for my winter set, or at least have given me the idea of going a square stance to make winter tire purchasing a little easier.

What I'd like to really know though is what is actually the smallest size wheels I could go with? Schwerin mentioned buying ecoboost PP wheels, which I think would be a square 19x9 set up? Just trying to determine how best to make my ongoing winter tire purchasing cheapest and easiest as I'll be dailying this year round in PA.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Bringing back an older thread but I have a question I haven't been able to get full answer about.

So from this thread, it seems those 19" x 9.5" RTR Tech 7's are a good option for my winter set, or at least have given me the idea of going a square stance to make winter tire purchasing a little easier.

What I'd like to really know though is what is actually the smallest size wheels I could go with? Schwerin mentioned buying ecoboost PP wheels, which I think would be a square 19x9 set up? Just trying to determine how best to make my ongoing winter tire purchasing cheapest and easiest as I'll be dailying this year round in PA.
I'm not really sure going smaller still is going to move the needle that much with respect to price or performance. Actually, going smaller or slimmer still might present its own problems. Several great options in this thread. More threads still throughout the forum.

If you want to know just how skinny you could go, you'd need to study the math and the relationship between the 1) rim width, 2) acceptable tires for that width, 3) diameter of the tire and how close it is (generally, +/- 3% from existing), 4) rim offset with respect to the suspension, 5) tire diameter with respect to fender lip, 6) does the solution fit your budget, 7) are you pleased with the appearance.

I'd maybe start with items 6 and 7, then work backwards to see how skinny you can go. Or, you could take one of the great options offered in this thread (and others) and run with it.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

My original response holds although they are a little more expensive than they were back in December. You can’t beat under $900 and they will look great.

alatr3on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
My original response holds although they are a little more expensive than they were back in December. You can’t beat under $900 and they will look great.
A month or so ago whenI was first deciding on ordering my Mach 1 or not and researching the winter set up, I had come across your response actually and definitely a great option. Now it was probably the time of year, but when trying to find winter tires at the stock non HP size, it was pretty dufficult/not find able for the staggered sizing.

Couldn't get matching front and rears, with the rears being $500 a piece. It's been a while since I've had to look at winters like this so like I said I have to imagine it was just a low stock after winter issue. For comparison, going the squared stance RTR Tech 7s enabled reasonable normal tire purchases from what I saw.

Also to be more specific about my "smallest" wheels question - I'm just looking for what would be the smallest stock Mustang wheels that would fit. Ecoboost PP wheels being 19x9 sound like a good idea. AmericanMuscle has more smaller wheels but I don't necessarily trust that.

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
So I'm planning on wintering my mach 1 as well but I do not have the HP. I will replace the rubber on the stock wheels with a winter set and I plan on going to a square apex wheels 285/40r18 setup during the summer. I will use fluid film to protect against salt and I wax my car a few times a year so that should be good enough.

For those in this thread looking to buy a dedicated set of winter wheels, me personally I would downsize to an 18 inch and save on tire & wheel costs, and improved usability (bigger sidewall). Unless you're in the deep north with lots of snow and most of the roads are not plowed, skinniness will not make a huge difference on a car like this, and square setups are superior. Just my two cents.

Edit: looks like there are not many 18" wheels that fit the BBK on the cheap (for a winter set). Maybe the EB setup will work better then?

Last edited:

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
So I'm planning on wintering my mach 1 as well but I do not have the HP. I will replace the rubber on the stock wheels with a winter set and I plan on going to a square apex wheels 285/40r18 setup during the summer. I will use fluid film to protect against salt and I wax my car a few times a year so that should be good enough.

For those in this thread looking to buy a dedicated set of winter wheels, me personally I would downsize to an 18 inch and save on tire & wheel costs, and improved usability (bigger sidewall). Unless you're in the deep north with lots of snow and most of the roads are not plowed, skinniness will not make a huge difference on a car like this, and square setups are superior. Just my two cents.

Edit: looks like there are not many 18" wheels that fit the BBK on the cheap (for a winter set). Maybe the EB setup will work better then?
18" wont clear the front Brembo calipers.
Sponsored