Mach 1 Hitch for Tire Trailer

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
Just looked up the Draw-tite hitch on their site and it weighs just over 36#s Not bad.

Rated Up To 2,000 lbs. Gross Trailer Weight and Up To 200 lbs. Tongue Weight, so I could even tow my small sailboat if I wanted, like I used to tow my Lido 14 sailboat with my '67 Fastback.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
Could you post a shot like the top one, only from closer to the ground so we can see better what it looks like. I'd love to see what it looks like from underneath on a lift. What is it, about 15-20#s?
THANKS!
These are the only two pictures I have from beneath. Hopefully they're helpful. My current challenge is finding a hitch riser. My tire trailer needs a hitch riser of about 7 inches. The highest I can find is 5 inches. Not exactly the end of the world, but I like it when things work mathematically. My engineer brain is not pleased when things are not level lol.

A couple additional notes: There are two supports on the outside which no longer fit, but I don't believe they're necessary given how snug everything is with the hitch there. There is no excess movement in the bumper or diffuser that I can tell. There are also air tunnels, or whatever the technical term is, on the top side of the diffuser. These needed a little trimming too. Again, just some plastic. It might lower the airflow over the diff cooler slightly, but if it does I think that will be easy to correct with some thin aluminum sheet. I seriously doubt it will be a problem.

20220308_111022.jpg

20220308_111030.jpg

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
Just as a word of caution, Ford could determine that your drivetrain warranty is void due to installing a trailer hitch on a Mach 1. Something to think about.

From the owners manual...

TOWING A TRAILER - MACH 1
WARNING: Your vehicle is not approved for trailer towing.
Never tow a trailer with your vehicle.

However, GTs and EBs do not have that restriction from Ford.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Just as a word of caution, Ford could determine that your drivetrain warranty is void due to installing a trailer hitch on a Mach 1. Something to think about.

Those were great pictures, thanks, it really fits nice and clean.

If they give you a hassle about the trailer hitch, just tell them it's not a trailer hitch, but a bike rack mount...then hide the trailer wiring harness as best you can.

I can't imagine a couple hundred pounds gross, of loaded trailer that sits completely out of the air-stream is going to tax a Mach 1. The freaking car has 470 horsepower, engine oil, transmission and differential cooler, and giagantic brakes. They don't want you towing a 2000# travel trailer with the aerodynamics of a giant brick. Probably more worried about stability issues with something that big. In the old day, they'd bolt a hitch to your bumper and wallah, you have a tow vehicle.

Last edited:
OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1

That's good to know! I would very EXTREMELY disappointed if Ford gave me hassle over the hitch, but if I understand warranties correctly, to void a vehicle's warranty they have to be able to prove that the modification or part installed caused the damage. I am guessing this is more of a safety thing than a potential damage to vehicle thing. Just hope that I never find out which is which. But I appreciate the tip nevertheless!!

Sponsored

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150

I just use that for my bike rack. :)

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
Looks like it's close to sticking out past the 3 foot rule, but I like it.
Yeah it's a massive bike rack. Carries my fat tire ebike. I put a flag on the bike, just in case.

Sponsored

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I wonder if one of those cargo baskets would be okay with load on such a small hitch? I have a bunch of stuff, but its all in pelican style cases. also carrying 4 tires with a trailer would be nice.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I wonder if one of those cargo baskets would be okay with load on such a small hitch? I have a bunch of stuff, but its all in pelican style cases. also carrying 4 tires with a trailer would be nice.
I’ve done thousands of miles with 4 tires on a cargo platform. It’s sketchy. With 3 it’s not even triggering for me.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
The max tongue weight is 200# so, 4 wheels/tires and a small toolbox would be pushing it with the leverage of it sticking out a couple feet. A small trailer makes more sense for tires/wheels and tools.

OP
OP

FLmanScott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 1969 Mach 1
My tire trailer is very well balanced with the tools to counter balance the wheels/tires. WAY less than 200# tongue weight. Empty it is maybe 20 or 30 lbs. I can move it around with a finger. I wouldn't be comfortable with a heavy basket. That being said, I also own SeaSucker rook racks which are awesome. I'd be more comfortable with an aluminum basket and pelican cases on the roof than hanging off the hitch. And yes, I am trying to get my Mustang to have the practicality of an SUV. Just takes some extra effort.

1646934655297.png

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
These are the only two pictures I have from beneath. Hopefully they're helpful. My current challenge is finding a hitch riser. My tire trailer needs a hitch riser of about 7 inches. The highest I can find is 5 inches. Not exactly the end of the world, but I like it when things work mathematically. My engineer brain is not pleased when things are not level lol.

A couple additional notes: There are two supports on the outside which no longer fit, but I don't believe they're necessary given how snug everything is with the hitch there. There is no excess movement in the bumper or diffuser that I can tell. There are also air tunnels, or whatever the technical term is, on the top side of the diffuser. These needed a little trimming too. Again, just some plastic. It might lower the airflow over the diff cooler slightly, but if it does I think that will be easy to correct with some thin aluminum sheet. I seriously doubt it will be a problem.

20220308_111022.jpg

20220308_111030.jpg
I know its a while since your post. I am thinking of doing the same. So you removed your bottom plastic cover. Doesn't that affect the diffuser aerodynamics?
Sponsored