Sponsored

Lumbar Support Failure

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Anyone else experience their driver's seat lumbar support suddenly collapse under load?

I was on the throttle, something in the structure of the lumbar support audibly popped and the bottom half of the seat went limp.

I think the car is still under the extended warranty, but I don't know if they'll cover the structure of the seat..? I guess I'll find out on Saturday.

And before anyone asks, I'm a fairly average sized person.. 5'11" 225. I would think the seat could stand up to bearing that for the 5 years I've had the car.
Sponsored

mustang_puppy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juan
Vehicle(s)
2015 black Ecoboost fastback
I have. My lumbar support broke just days after the extended warranty expired. There's a thread about it somewhere, asking about a repair but no one has found a solution.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The lumbar bladder usually has a vacuum line attached to it. It could be as simple as the vac line coming off the bladder or breaking (since most lines are usually plastic over rubber to avoid collapse).

--
As far as the bladder actually "popping", this would only occur IF the bladder was overinflated and extreme pressure was exerted on it. The only other reason it would pop would be if the bladder was punctured by a sharp object through the upholstery OR if the seat's internal wire frame somehow punctured it from within the seat structure.

OP
OP
TimAlan

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
The lumbar bladder usually has a vacuum line attached to it. It could be as simple as the vac line coming off the bladder or breaking (since most lines are usually plastic over rubber to avoid collapse).

--
As far as the bladder actually "popping", this would only occur IF the bladder was overinflated and extreme pressure was exerted on it. The only other reason it would pop would be if the bladder was punctured by a sharp object through the upholstery OR if the seat's internal wire frame somehow punctured it from within the seat structure.
Luckily the bladder is still intact. It still inflates/deflates via the switch. Whatever I have is something structural in supporting framework.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Unzip the seat zipppers and have a look at what's going on. I haven't done that to my Mustangs yet but I've done it to a few other cars in the past. The only difficulty might be getting in a comfortable position to do it with the seat in the car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TimAlan

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Unzip the seat zipppers and have a look at what's going on. I haven't done that to my Mustangs yet but I've done it to a few other cars in the past. The only difficulty might be getting in a comfortable position to do it with the seat in the car.
I looked it up on You Tube. It's a pretty involved process to get the cover off with the way it's attached underneath and secured with pins. I was on the fence between replacing them with Corbeau's, or taking it in under warranty, but I chose to go with the latter for now.

OP
OP
TimAlan

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Positive update! Dealer fixed it under warranty. Service paperwork just said the "lumbar support assembly" had a failure.

However, while my car was parked on the dealer's lot, an elderly customer rear-ended it. Luckily the Service Manager witnessed it and got the guy's info so I could file a claim with his insurance company. I believe the dealership is technically responsible for the repairs since I left it in their care, but I don't want to wait for them to fix it on their timeline and I would rather go through a body shop I trust. What a hassle..

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, it’s good to hear the lumbar issue was fixed under warranty… sucks to hear your car was damaged on the lot by another person who was not careful.

How much damage was done? Does that Dealer also have an on-site Ford approved body shop? If so, I would let them repair since they have to do it for Ford specs and quality.

OP
OP
TimAlan

TimAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Well, it’s good to hear the lumbar issue was fixed under warranty… sucks to hear your car was damaged on the lot by another person who was not careful.

How much damage was done? Does that Dealer also have an on-site Ford approved body shop? If so, I would let them repair since they have to do it for Ford specs and quality.
The damage isn't terrible. Luckily the culprit was just a little Fiesta at low speed. My rear bumper fascia has some slight deformities, but I think a heat gun would get most of it out, then a respray. This dealer contracts through local shops that are Ford certified. The shop I go through for body work also happens to be Ford certified as well, and I know their quality of work is top notch from previous jobs they've done for me.
Sponsored