Lug nut question

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
I received a set of black West Coast Wheel Accessories lug nuts with my aftermarket wheels for my Mach 1. Didn’t like the black nuts on that car but was curious if they would be ok on the carbon fiber wheels given there is much less surface area actually contacting the wheel.

FF45F177-4977-4D49-961C-04F3E65B4027.jpeg
Sponsored

rp930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500, 2019 Ranger, 2015 MB GLK250
l’m going with no.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Curious, the black lug nuts in the photo, for the Mach 1, were they specified for use with the new rims? When I received a new set of SVE rims, they specifically mentioned using the included Gorilla Nuts, to ensure everything seated and worked correctly.

Which, segues into your question. Looking at the photo above, I'd be concerned about seating at all. The top nut doesn't appear to be close to the bottom. Torquing down to 150 lb/ft and the received loads, I would not use them.

OP
OP
Grant4514b

Grant4514b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT, 2020 GT500
Curious, the black lug nuts in the photo, for the Mach 1, were they specified for use with the new rims? When I received a new set of SVE rims, they specifically mentioned using the included Gorilla Nuts, to ensure everything seated and worked correctly.

Which, segues into your question. Looking at the photo above, I'd be concerned about seating at all. The top nut doesn't appear to be close to the bottom. Torquing down to 150 lb/ft and the received loads, I would not use them.
These are the nuts that came with my SVE wheels also. The factory nuts fit but are very tight in the holes. I’ve checked the torque a few times since installation and they haven’t loosened. I would think if they weren’t seating well they would loosen a little after driving.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Aftermarket wheels generally require the narrower lugs. Factory wheels require the larger lugs to seat properly. I’d be wary of using those narrower lugs on factory wheels personally.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
These are the nuts that came with my SVE wheels also. The factory nuts fit but are very tight in the holes.
I would think if they weren’t seating well they would loosen a little after driving.
I'll preface all my comments with, "I'm not an Engineer, but..." LOL. There is loosening or seating being one concern. But there are also the loads and forces associated with the rim, studs and suspension overall. IMO, long-term, you're best with a like nut (the black one), in the finish you like. I haven't studied vendor's catalogs, but I'd like to think there's something out there.

As the thread progresses, others with greater insight could provide better guidance or options.
Sponsored