LPXHD Clutch noises

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Just finished installing lethals LPXHD clutch and took it for the first drive last night. Goes into gear good and shifted through the gears great right out the gate. After about 10 mins of driving through the neighborhood seeing how it shifts I noticed if I linger at cruising speeds at 1500rpm it has a lot of clutch noise. I read multiple places online that the aftermarket twin disc unsprung clutched, especially McLeod, have clutch chatter at that rpm. Barely noticeable in first, little more in second and much more noticeable in 3rd and 4th. This is exactly how and when mine occurs so that see.s normal.

Only thing I question is I'm used to clutch chatter sounding like a chatter or rattle. Mine sounds much more like a grinding or dragging noise. I thought there was a major issue at first when I heard it but less so after looking around online. Now, the clutch does need 1200+ shifts to break in so im guessing the noise will get better over time assuming my dragging noise is just normal clutch chatter.

Anyone have any experience with these clutches that can chime in? Curious if I should be worried or not???
Sponsored

OP
OP

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
So I reached out to McLeod and they said to check the pilot bearing to be safe but these clutches are known to chatter at low rpm and there are no adverse effects of the chatter. Pretty much the answer I was hoping for.

Day 2 of breaking the clutch in and its already sounding better. Less like dragging and much more like chatter. I don't spend much time at 1500rpms so once it's broken in, I may never hear it again. :crackup:

Mustang gt 2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt manual 2016
So I reached out to McLeod and they said to check the pilot bearing to be safe but these clutches are known to chatter at low rpm and there are no adverse effects of the chatter. Pretty much the answer I was hoping for.

Day 2 of breaking the clutch in and its already sounding better. Less like dragging and much more like chatter. I don't spend much time at 1500rpms so once it's broken in, I may never hear it again. :crackup:
I have this problem with an rst clutch, high gear low rpm i hear a grinding noise. Im also willing to change transmission oil but afraid of the consequences…

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What you are hearing is called ‘gear roll over’ when lugging it at lower RPMs. Sounds like a bunch of rocks in the transmission. Just the nature of a solid hub twin disc and a China made transmission with crap tolerances.

Clutch ‘chatter’ is felt when slipping the clutch on take off and it’s not smooth. You’ll feel the car shake or shudder. Usually worse when not giving it enough gas on takeoff with a grippy clutch. You should not feel much of that with the LPX clutch.

Last edited:

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
What you are hearing is called ‘gear rollover’ when lugging it at lower RPMs. Sounds like a bunch of rocks in the transmission. Just the nature of a solid hub twin disc and a China made transmission with crap tolerances.

Clutch ‘chatter’ is felt when slipping the clutch on take off and it’s not smooth. You’ll feel the car shake or vibrate. Usually worse when not giving it enough gas on takeoff with a grippy clutch. You should not feel much of that with the LPX clutch.
Good to know about the dragging/grinding noise. I noticed it with both my previous RST and also with the LPX-HD at low RPMs like when slowing down and downshifting to make a turn. I assumed it was normal anyways. I try to keep the engine at least at 1500 rpm while driving anyways so thats really the only time I hear the dragging/grinding noise. I don't think I've ever experienced any chatter with either the RST or LPX-HD.
Sponsored