Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
After I got my car back from the repair shop who had it for 3 weeks, I am now getting a message on my dash that says something like " low key battery, replace soon"

Has anyone else ever seen this message and how do I fix it.

Thanks
TC
Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
No and you have to pull the key out of the Fob by pressing the release, lift the back cover off, replace battery of the CR2450 type. On my 2019 anyway.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Whatever you do, don't lose it under the back seat. You can get those batteries anywhere.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
"Lift the back cover off" sounds a good deal simpler than my process: I had to use a teeny-tiny screwdriver to get the back to release. Not the craftsman I used to be, I guess.

FobKeyBattery_1_DSCN6103.jpg
FobKeyBattery_2_DSCN6114.jpg
FobKeyBattery_3_DSCN6116.jpg

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Both my keyfobs gave me a low battery message within months of each other. The fobs for 2015-2017 mustangs take two CR2025 batteries. It's fairly simple to do, and the only tool you really need to do is a coin or something to pry the shell apart. There's a couple of youtube videos that'll show it. Pretty simple.

OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
ok, thanks for the info everyone, will try it shortly

TC

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Speaking of key fob batteries, mine need to be changed, and I noticed that both of them have some kind of transparent grease on the side that's facing the contacts. Is it really necessary? Can I ignore it and simply install two clean batteries, or should I transfer it from the old batteries to the new ones?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
I have had this same problem 2 weeks ago so being that I have two factory keys and only one gets used and damaged I took the batteries out of the extra fob and put in my current one so that I didn't have to go buy new ones plus if the batteries ever leaked out of the unused one it would likely damage the new one. Killed 2 birds with one stone.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
After I got my car back from the repair shop who had it for 3 weeks, I am now getting a message on my dash that says something like " low key battery, replace soon"

Has anyone else ever seen this message and how do I fix it.

Thanks
TC
LMAO!!! how do you fix it? well... like the message says... replace the battery on the keyfob...

this why the power rangers say their color every time...

Sponsored
OP
OP
tcman54

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, yeah, got myself four 2025 batteries and replaced them in both key fobs, now working perfect for the next four years or so, end of story.

TC

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Speaking of key fob batteries, mine need to be changed, and I noticed that both of them have some kind of transparent grease on the side that's facing the contacts. Is it really necessary? Can I ignore it and simply install two clean batteries, or should I transfer it from the old batteries to the new ones?
That's dielectric grease, and yes, I would make sure you have it. It ensures good conductivity between the contacts and the battery, and also acts to provide a little water resistance. You should use the same thing on your electrical contacts if you replace a bulb, especially if you're in a high humidity area. You can get the grease at an auto parts store in a little packet for like $1.

JR