Love Your V6, Always.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I traded a 96 4.6 V8 Thunderbird with many mods and many miles for a brand new 2013 3.7 V6 Mustang - with ZERO options....I put factory leather in it, and generally tried to like it, - but I just couldn't - that car had an MT82, and a 2.73 rear - the whole "300 Horsepower 30 MPG No compromise" ad campaign of 2010-2012 really hyped these things - and I bet with 3.55-3.73 and premium trim, they were fine, mine...I just couldn't. Got rid of it after about 7 months.

Now, as for the 3.7 in the 2015+ Mustang - I have never seen one in person that I know of - at least, I never saw a NEW one in person - I'm sure I have unknowingly seen them around, and just assumed that they were Ecoboost....

There was never a 2015+ 3.7 in a premium trim from the factory, was there? Any idea how many 2015+ were built with the 3.7? Were they fleet/rental only, or could regular consumers buy them?

Did ford offer the 3.7 in the 2018+ refreshed cars? It's listed in the parts catalog for 2018 like you could, but that's not totally accurate for little things like this.
No, the 3.7 was axed in 2018. The V6 was the base model. It had no premium trim, you'd have to swing Ecoboost or GT for the leathers and such. As I understand, it just wasn't as popular as the Ecoboost. But you could go out and buy a V6 Mustang from 2015-2017, business or not.

I'm biased of course, but historically, I consider the 6 banger as important as the v8. At the end of '17, when I saw the end of the 6 and the first gen s550, I went out with a check for 25K and came home with my first Mustang.
I've had 'vettes, no turbo 4's please. With a hitch and Roush axle backs, it does everything I want and on regular gas. It's also worth about what I paid at 25K mi. I'm always looking: hot rods, 50's cruisers, etc., but so far nothing to make me want to part with my "Cyclone". Done 5.9 on the 0-60 meter, also I go to the strip once a year and on the right day, I think I'll hit the 13's, bragging rights in the 60's.
Two other thoughts, it looks like a real engine and I'm not as OCD about it as with some other cars, but I do keep her looking nice.

IMG_9990.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg
I generally agree. Like I noted higher up, V6's have existed in some form or another on and off through the Mustang's lifespanā€”as have I4's, matter of fact.

The only thing I can confidently say I dislike about the V6 mustangsā€”and this may go for others in the 2015-2017 lineupā€”is the painted diffuser. To me it just looks out of place with matte black splitters lining the front and sides. No offense meant, of courseā€”quite the opposite, that's a beautiful blue!

I really liked the painted "island" piece the GT's seemed to have, and hate that it went away for the '18 refresh.

Were I to snag an early model that'd be the one thing I'd HAVE to change.

fr3z17k835-1.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a '97 V6 as a daily driver because the '80 Capri had a built (by me) '64 289 in it, with a hand built(by me) C4 with kevlar bands and clutches, an aluminum driveline and Hotchkis suspension, an 8.8 inch with 3.73s and I didn't need a Hot Rod. I drove that '97 with my foot on the floor for 120k miles, had to sell it in 2009 because, well, you know.

I also had a 2005 V6, and a 2012 V6, all were driven with my foot on the floor. Anyone gives you crap about a V6 knows nothing about them.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I bought a '97 V6 as a daily driver because the '80 Capri had a built (by me) '64 289 in it, with a hand built(by me) C4 with kevlar bands and clutches, an aluminum driveline and Hotchkis suspension, an 8.8 inch with 3.73s and I didn't need a Hot Rod. I drove that '97 with my foot on the floor for 120k miles, had to sell it in 2009 because, well, you know.

I also had a 2005 V6, and a 2012 V6, all were driven with my foot on the floor. Anyone gives you crap about a V6 knows nothing about them.
That's what we likes to hear. :like:

Granted I'm of the opinion that anyone giving crap about an engine, really ought to have kept it to themselves... but. Most of the time it seems to boil down to just stroking numbers. Different things for different people. Numbers can't show that.

Dinokill3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt PP
I had a 2017 V6 which I really liked.

Had exhaust, MPT 93 tune, CAI, lowering Springs and 3.55 diff.

But then I traded it for a 2017 5.0 PP

On the 5.0 I have exhaust, lowering springs and e85 tune.

For how much I liked the V6 Itā€™s just not a comparison. The 5.0 itā€™s just on a different level in every aspect.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Now, as for the 3.7 in the 2015+ Mustang - I have never seen one in person that I know of - at least, I never saw a NEW one in person - I'm sure I have unknowingly seen them around, and just assumed that they were Ecoboost....
The V6 trunk badge is the tri bar. Eco just the pony.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

There was some sort of trim package on them that added fog lights and larger five-spoke wheels. I know the V6 convertibles offered leather. Never seen leather in a V6 coupe other than mine.

Chomperr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT ; 2016 Mustang V6 (Sold)
No, the 3.7 was axed in 2018. The V6 was the base model. It had no premium trim, you'd have to swing Ecoboost or GT for the leathers and such. As I understand, it just wasn't as popular as the Ecoboost. But you could go out and buy a V6 Mustang from 2015-2017, business or not.

I generally agree. Like I noted higher up, V6's have existed in some form or another on and off through the Mustang's lifespanā€”as have I4's, matter of fact.

The only thing I can confidently say I dislike about the V6 mustangsā€”and this may go for others in the 2015-2017 lineupā€”is the painted diffuser. To me it just looks out of place with matte black splitters lining the front and sides. No offense meant, of courseā€”quite the opposite, that's a beautiful blue!

I really liked the painted "island" piece the GT's seemed to have, and hate that it went away for the '18 refresh.

Were I to snag an early model that'd be the one thing I'd HAVE to change.

fr3z17k835-1.jpg
I had a base 2016 V6 (profile pic) and the body color painted diffuser was my least favorite part. Obviously they did it to cut costs but damn is it ugly. To make It worse you couldnā€™t change it without swapping the entire rear bumper cover.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Just voicing my honest opinion here. A large part of my love for my mustang comes from the fact it has a V8. I love the power and sound. So for me its a crazy concept buying one without a V8 engine. But I respect we all value things in a different way. I can totally understand why someone would like the V6 more than the 4 banger.
i would say i don't understand why people make posts like this in threads of this sort but the reality is I do understand. its why the first part of the post is a disclaimer "hey guys, just sayin..." then a thinly veiled insult to anyone who'd have the audacity to pick up a car without a V8.

speaking just to be heard rather than to understand is not a wise practice.
in fact, its pretty damned disrespectful.

people have all kinds of reasons for not buying the higher trim levels.

Just voicing my honest opinion here...

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
I had a base 2016 V6 (profile pic) and the body color painted diffuser was my least favorite part. Obviously they did it to cut costs but damn is it ugly. To make It worse you couldnā€™t change it without swapping the entire rear bumper cover.
See, I couldn't even see it being done to cut costs... it seems like painting the thing adds cost. No less so, if it's true you'd have to swap the entire cover to get the GT-style island panel. Assuming, correct me if I'm wrongā€”but that seems to me like they now have 3/4 separately molded parts for the same portion of the car, spread across different trims... why? Doing that for a Shelby or otherwise special edition like the Mach, sure, that's reasonable to set it apart. But between the base model and also the base model... why?

Some penny pincher at Ford is shaking their head and laughing at us right now while sipping their scotch. :crackup:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
i would say i don't understand why people make posts like this in threads of this sort but the reality is I do understand. its why the first part of the post is a disclaimer "hey guys, just sayin..." then a thinly veiled insult to anyone who'd have the audacity to pick up a car without a V8.

speaking just to be heard rather than to understand is not a wise practice.
in fact, its pretty damned disrespectful.

people have all kinds of reasons for not buying the higher trim levels.

Just voicing my honest opinion here...
Yea if its posted in the general is fair game in my opinion.

But to your point people do usually have reasons for not getting the higher trims. In my case its always been financial šŸ¤£. UMM YEAA I would rather be driving a GT500....

Sponsored

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the V6's.

I don't really like the sound of them, just personal preference. They run fine. They get you from point A to B exactly the same as the 5.0 and the ecoboost and 3.7's do/did. The difference is the sound, cost, and how much power it makes.

Many on here ain't old enough to remember way back when. When the Mustang was introduced, they weren't all V8's-in fact the V8 power was the minority, most were powered by the Thriftpower inline 6, 170 cubic inch was your basic no frills engine. It had barely 100hp. There was also a 200" later on also barely over 100hp (120hp?). Remember these were borrowed from the Falcon, actually the whole car was loosely based on the Falcon and Comet chassis from the early 1960's. BUT the point here is, that through all of the years the Mustang has been made, the base engine options are what really kept the car going this long. The Fox body cars-while legendary for their 5.0L pushrod V8's, there were also TONS of them produced with the little 2.3L inline 4, which was a fine engine in it's own right, although many say it was under-powered. I still own one and I drive it, is it under-powered? Maybe, but it's a really really cheap engine option, cheap to insure, cheap to drive, cheap to fix. It was $400 when I bought it in 2019 and I think they're up to around $2500 on the market now. The V8's are much more desirable but frankly, the base engines were the only way many folks could afford a pony car to begin with. Looking at the base Ecoboost which MSRP's in the higher $29,000 range vs a base GT V8 which MSRP's in the low 40's so there is a significant difference in cost, which is why you see so many Ecoboost's on the road. And also why I bought one rather than the GT--I don't need the GT but the "kids" (I don't have any, FTR) all kind of frown on the V6's, I4's, and in the old days the little I-6's were kind of unappreciated--much teh same as the modern non-v8's are. But Ford puts them in for a reason, sales. If sales numbers fall, they'll quit producing that lineup. Thankfully because of the sales numbers for the base engine models, they were enough to keep the name going for over 50 years. I think the Corvette is the only other car made for that length of time without a "break". Sorry camaro guys.

The one thing I hated about the 4.0 was how the timing chain setup was done. One chain in front, one chain in the back. If you had to put a tensioner in, or a chain, you had to pull the engine which wasn't terrible to do, but as an owner it was in teh back of your mind. Was the 3.7 the same way? I don't think it was since it was based on the Duratec. I had a 14 F150 with the little 3.7 V6, and it ran great-I was impressed with it's power for what it was, and it got decent fuel economy too. Sounded like poo though, I just can't get myself over the sound of any V6 they all sound like poo. Kinda like a pair of geo metro's having an argument with each other inside a coke can.

I have owned several V6 powered vehicles, all Fords. Ranger/3.0, Ranger 4.0, Mustang 3.9, Mustang 3.8 (CFI), etc. They all sound terrible to my ears but they all did the same thing, enjoyed me with a pony car that had a base engine option, which was less costly than the V8 cousins.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Iā€™ve owned many desirable cars over the years, yet my 2015 V6 Mustang is one of my favorites. 7 years old and I still get looks and compliments whenever Iā€™m out. Sheā€™s being modified, painfully slowly because I canā€™t afford to do what some others can all at once. The exterior is finished, the interior needs to get done and I want to add an exhaust, headers, CAI and some suspension upgrades as well. I enjoy this car so much and I will never get rid of it. So believe me, I cherish my V6 and always will.
45129C74-D158-4F2E-BFB8-8AF96B3EAEF8.jpeg
8ED18231-13A9-4ECF-A019-A3252079B0FB.jpeg
618A4ABA-5E1F-467A-90C2-1E55708FC60E.jpeg
53B7CD27-C0EA-4C14-A6F7-BFB87F76C939.jpeg
11B7C957-4B22-442D-BD90-2A8ECB1B9433.jpeg
912AD9E7-BC51-45A1-8D11-C92750282DE1.jpeg

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
There was some sort of trim package on them that added fog lights and larger five-spoke wheels. I know the V6 convertibles offered leather. Never seen leather in a V6 coupe other than mine.
051A package added power drivers seat, Fog Lights, rear lip spoiler (or you could delete the spoiler-like I did), and 18ā€ Five spoke Foundry Wheels. I ordered mine that way. Iā€™ll be adding leather and a better sound system/head unit and some touches specific for what Iā€™m doing with the car.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Iā€™ve owned many desirable cars over the years, yet my 2015 V6 Mustang is one of my favorites. 7 years old and I still get looks and compliments whenever Iā€™m out. Sheā€™s being modified, painfully slowly because I canā€™t afford to do what some others can all at once. The exterior is finished, the interior needs to get done and I want to add an exhaust, headers, CAI and some suspension upgrades as well. I enjoy this car so much and I will never get rid of it. So believe me, I cherish my V6 and always will.
45129C74-D158-4F2E-BFB8-8AF96B3EAEF8.jpeg
8ED18231-13A9-4ECF-A019-A3252079B0FB.jpeg
618A4ABA-5E1F-467A-90C2-1E55708FC60E.jpeg
53B7CD27-C0EA-4C14-A6F7-BFB87F76C939.jpeg
11B7C957-4B22-442D-BD90-2A8ECB1B9433.jpeg
912AD9E7-BC51-45A1-8D11-C92750282DE1.jpeg
BEAUTIFUL!!

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the V6's.

I have owned several V6 powered vehicles, all Fords. Ranger/3.0, Ranger 4.0, Mustang 3.9, Mustang 3.8 (CFI), etc. They all sound terrible to my ears but they all did the same thing, enjoyed me with a pony car that had a base engine option, which was less costly than the V8 cousins.
My dream car is a Porsche GT3 with a 6 cylinder. I actually think it sounds better than most V8 engines on the road and love how high it can rev. I would take a GT3 over any mustang, camaro, corvette, or dodge product. I sold my Toyota supra for my mustang and also had a 2023 BMW M240i on order. I am not a V8 only guy, but when ford offers a V8 pony car for under 40k brand new or even less used its hard to say no for me. The overseas brands do the 4 or 6 cylinder thing better. But they all wish they could put engines like the 5.0L in there cars.

Keep in mind the average new car bought today is WELL over the cost of a mustang GT. The V8 mustang offers incredible value. A lot of Americans do not realize how special this car really is. This is why I am so passionate about it.
Sponsored