Sponsored

Lost 3rd gear and reverse! Mt82

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Reposting here due to more traffic.
19 mt gt. Specs are prochager stg 2 lund tuned on 91, xpipe standard 4.75 pulley, car has 12,500 miles on it.

Ok heres what happened, about a week ago I took my friend for a drive and on the highway the car wouldn't go into 3rd gear untill the 4th try, never had that happen before and didn't happen again the next 5 times I drove it, untill today. Today on the highway i went to downshift to 3rd gear and the car just went into neutral. I tried a few more times the shifter felt fine but 3rd gear was gone. I checked all other forward gears while on my way back home and they were all fine. If I'm at a stop and put it in 3rd and start letting off the clutch then as the clutch is almost all the way out it makes a grinding noise. I went to park it and found out reverse doesn't work either and whats odd is that the backup camera won't activate either.

I haven't been able to find any threads where someone lost one forward gear and also reverse. Thoughts?
Sponsored

OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you read your link, all problems with broken shift forks are in pairs, like 1 and 2 3 and 4. My problem is no 3rd gear and no reverse. 4th gear is fine
The forks won’t always break as the TSBs describe...

So, other than the noted MT82 fork issues, you have the possibility of:
3rd gear cluster failure
3rd gear synchro failure
3rd gear clutch fork nylon gone

Take your pick, in either instance the trans needs to be opened up for actual inspection.

With only 12.5k on the car, you still have the 3/36. Even if the 3/36 was depleted, then the trans falls under the 5/60 Powertrain. “Normal wear” parts such as clutch components (disc, throw out bearing etc) won’t be covered but if there is any premature wear or breakage for the 3rd gear issue, it may be covered.

Yes I see the car is modded with a supercharger, but the service center would have to prove that the trans issue is directly related to the “mods”.

If you’re having issues with Reverse, there was also a SSM or TSB about the reverse lockout collar failing... there’s a few threads on here with that info.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Yes I see the car is modded with a supercharger, but the service center would have to prove that the trans issue is directly related to the “mods”.
Pardon my pessimism, but Broken tranny on a blown Coyote (probably pumping out 150-200 hp over stock) -> Service Advisor laughing in your face about a warranty claim on an MT-82. If not, OP should play the lottery.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Pardon my pessimism, but Broken tranny on a blown Coyote (probably pumping out 150-200 hp over stock) -> Service Advisor laughing in your face about a warranty claim on an MT-82. If not, OP should play the lottery.
Yeah, that was my thought as well. Still, it costs nothing (but time) to try...

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
the shitty shift forks I think were only on the early 18 models. They corrected / redesigned and started shipping mustangs with the improved forks shortly after. I believe any 2019+ ones are fine.

Arent you supposed to also upgrade the transmission and like driveline parts when doing power adders?

OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
the shitty shift forks I think were only on the early 18 models. They corrected / redesigned and started shipping mustangs with the improved forks shortly after. I believe any 2019+ ones are fine.

Arent you supposed to also upgrade the transmission and like driveline parts when doing power adders?
Like I said I have had 2 other stg 2 9 psi procharged cars with a combined 30,000 miles with zero problems. Its a gamble how long things will last I know but ford doesn't put billet gears in their roush cars. Most people with stg 1 or 2 Whipple or any power adders that put them in the high 600 low 700 the only problem is usually the clutch slipping.

Yeah the trans has to come out no matter what, no I'm not going to try the dealer route I've tried something similar before even going so far as to remove the supercharger and they denied the warranty claim even though they didn't know exactly what I had, they just knew it was tuned before

OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Spoke to Ben Calimer, said it was broken shift fork causing both problems.

He also said a stg 2 d4 is going to be $3400 thats not including shipping him my trans
I told him I got locked out of gear often (on stock clutch) thats what caused the forks to break, so to fix lockout I definitely need to replace the clutch. So just to get it running ill be in it at least $4500, plus there's a 4 to 5 week turnaround time so a week shipping each way thats 2 months the car will be down. I asked he doesn't have any d4's cores in stock btw

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Spoke to Ben Calimer, said it was broken shift fork causing both problems.

He also said a stg 2 d4 is going to be $3400 thats not including shipping him my trans
I told him I got locked out of gear often (on stock clutch) thats what caused the forks to break, so to fix lockout I definitely need to replace the clutch. So just to get it running ill be in it at least $4500, plus there's a 4 to 5 week turnaround time so a week shipping each way thats 2 months the car will be down. I asked he doesn't have any d4's cores in stock btw
I thought the stage 3 was 3400 bucks. Tough luck man.

Sponsored
OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
His website doesn't reflect the 18 and up d4 trans, only the older mt82. He says they add GeForce shift forks on the 1-2 3-4 plus the other things that come with stg 2. Of course you can't just buy the upgraded forks and have a local shop do it.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
His website doesn't reflect the 18 and up d4 trans, only the older mt82. He says they add GeForce shift forks on the 1-2 3-4 plus the other things that come with stg 2. Of course you can't just buy the upgraded forks and have a local shop do it.
Does he upgrade the gears on that or just the forks?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course you can't just buy the upgraded forks and have a local shop do it.
you mean Calimer's shift forks or Ford's? If Calimer there was a link posted a week or two back that had the "entire" stage-X kit as loose parts.

Fighting the trans is always a recipe for breakage. Extra torque from an engine breaks gear TEETH not gear selection mechanisms.

OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
Just the forks

OP
OP

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
you mean Calimer's shift forks or Ford's? If Calimer there was a link posted a week or two back that had the "entire" stage-X kit as loose parts.

Fighting the trans is always a recipe for breakage. Extra torque from an engine breaks gear TEETH not gear selection mechanisms.
I asked him directly if I could buy the GeForce upgraded forks and he said no they are sold directly to him and he only will sell them with the trans already installed. I almost never shift wot into 3rd gear and I would get locked out of 2nd gear almost every time doing a 1 - 2 wot and when it wouldn't go in I would lift. I'd say the lockout ratio is I've been locked out of 2nd gear 20x for every time 3rd gear got locked out. I won't know till it gets torn apart for sure but he was very confident that 3rd gear itself is fine and the fork is broken.
Sponsored