Sponsored

Looking for just a little more top end pull.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I am fine with the low end response and pull. So for normal everyday driving its pretty good. Its just a bummer when i'm say creeping up to 4000 with part throttle then get on it and pretty much nothing exciting happen with no rush of acceleration at all. I guess we all know this is the weak area of the power for sure. Are there any changes that can be made to help this. Not even add power but just not lose as much from 4500 to 6000. Or is the Tune route the only option really.
Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
"the Tune route the only option really"
You said it. For now that's the only route that is the simplest way.

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
Even then though, you'll still feel it relatively cuz a tune will end up giving you more low to mid torque and then still kinda die out 5500+. Yes you'll have more pull than you do now up top, but you're also gonna pull harder from 2500+. So you'll still notice the falling up top. You could also look into the Vargas stage 1 option. It's essentially stock turbo spool with power holding, not really increasing or falling, to redline. Otherwise you'll have to go big turbo route someway to get the higher airflow you need to support feeling like the car isn't losing steam at higher RPMs.

chadhtx40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP Magnetic Metalli
Doing a turbo and head upgrade on the high dollar performance upgrade would help. You can see increases though with little things like a better waste gate actuator as it will hold boost longer in the higher RPMs. When I did my Tune+ WGA the curve was smoother and it lasted a little longer in upper rpms.

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
Oh yeah I always forget the WGA!! Yes, that's also a good solution for a few more PSI up top

Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Thanks for the multiple ideas and giving me the answers I probably expected. I have always noticed this feeling with modern turbo performance cars recently. My last car was an Audi TTS with apr tune. Pulled very strong but also didn't "feel" the top end pull probably because like mentioned above, because the bottom pull was so strong. I just need to get to the point of saying screw it and get a tune. Its just this is the first car in a long time I actually have a warranty on it, let alone a CPO.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
A full 3 inch should give you some top end power while sacrificing a little torque even without a tune

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
I had intake and 3" turbo back exhaust on the car before it was tuned and I could feel the car pulling ignition every time I tried getting on it. It was not happy with the extra air flow.
The results may be different with an axle back or cat back exhaust but then you wouldn't be getting the full benefits of the 3" exhaust.

Palmtrees&2.3s

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Magnetic Bass
An intercooler! If you don't believe the stock tune will liven up with an intercooler, look at the CP-E intercooler thread (near the end) that's exactly where he picked up power.

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Interesting about the intercooler. I bought my car used and recently see I have what looks like a MAP intercooler installed.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Thanks for the multiple ideas and giving me the answers I probably expected. I have always noticed this feeling with modern turbo performance cars recently. My last car was an Audi TTS with apr tune. Pulled very strong but also didn't "feel" the top end pull probably because like mentioned above, because the bottom pull was so strong. I just need to get to the point of saying screw it and get a tune. Its just this is the first car in a long time I actually have a warranty on it, let alone a CPO.
U can get the ford performance tune that finally fricken came out. U get a 3/36K warranty with it

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I would be all over it if I wasn't at almost 30000 miles already. I think it's a great option for cars with low miles or new. I would get close to a year of warranty at least though.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I would be all over it if I wasn't at almost 30000 miles already. I think it's a great option for cars with low miles or new. I would get close to a year of warranty at least though.
And considering you had a map intercooler installed, I'd be willing to bet 10 cents or more that the car had a tune on it. :D

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Oh i'm even more sure it was. It came with a MAP intake, MAP catted downpipe, MAP intercooler and full Magnaflow street exhaust. Yep it was on the Ford lot certified pre owned with all this stuff on. They proved to me it did not have a tune on it at they just did a PCM flash as they certified it. On the lot I just thought it had a catback and CAI. Later on I saw the Downpipe and MAP intercooler. Honestly I didn't think it ran as good or at least smooth as the stock ones I test drove. I would always get about 5.9-6.0 0-60. I then went about getting a stock air box, stock downpipe and a GT exhaust with a y pipe added where the resonator was. (still looking for a stock eco exhaust) Now i get 5.5-5.4 0-60 and seems so much smoother. I couldn't stand all the noise after a few weeks either. All the intake noise and the exhaust would resonate in the car at 2500 and vibrate everything. So I'm really pretty happy just wish the top would be a little stronger. Not that I would trade for the V6 less torque but more pronounced top end. During everyday driving with a Pedalmax installed, pull between shifts is really pretty impressive.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
It also depends on the tune, as there are more ways than one to "skin the cat". I can't comment on other tunes, but the Livernois 91 and 93 tunes pull strong all the way to 7k. The power band peaks at 5500, however the drop off at the top end is very small, it holds over 300 whp to about 6700 rpm and just shy of that out to 7k on an otherwise bone stock car. It doesn't have a "climbing" power band like a NA GT would, but it remains strong all the way through, I can only detect a very small fade after about 6500 in 1st and 2nd. With the stock PCM, it faded heavily after 5500 and it felt useless after 6k.

A better IC will will push the power curve even higher when combined with a tune. The Ford Performance tune is a good warranty safe option that is similar to the Livernois tune (neither increase boost but focus much more on timing and tables), but with about 25 whp less over the mid and upper range (however still a huge improvement over stock) than the Livernois.

Plus with the FP tune, you get their GT350 style CAI, which is the best of both worlds, so you get the better filtration of paper media with the higher flow of a conical filter (more surface area). But with the Livernois and FP tune, I'd suggest running the stock plugs or Denso 1 stage colder. I was not able to get the Brisk RR14YS or RR14S plugs to play well with the Livernois tune, but the OE plugs work very well. Both of them suggest OE plugs or at most 1 stage colder Denso's.
Sponsored