Looking for advice a feedback on suspension

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've gotten a lot of good advice from members here and so here is where I am at.
I have a 2015 Mustang GT auto. 355 gears, Magnuson supercharger. Now at somewhere north of 600rwhp likely. I have the Steeda pro-action shocks and struts. Stock springs and anti-sway bars. The car drives good and am adding the red Brembos and PP 1 wheels.
I have put on the Tokico adjustable shocks/struts with Ford "p" lowering springs on 2 of my previous S197 cars and absolutely loved it. I was trying to avoid lowering this car, but am now looking at this kit from Levittown and changing the entire car to a PP1 type vehicle. Here is the kit:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-mustang-street-handling-pack-p-7441.html

Would I be better just to change springs out? Or, is the Ford Performance Street kit a good all around kit? I know I'm kinda vague. I like to drag race but like good handling. Decent ride. Not a die hard either way, just a bit more control and improved ride quality. Trying to avoid too low of a car due to getting in and out and bad roads.
Sponsored

D24112

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 MT
I put it on my 17 V6 and like it a lot. Very street-able from a comfort standpoint but a big improvement handling. Lowers it a little.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
First, there is a suspension section on this forum assume this will get moved there.

2nd, if you already have the Steeda's why not call them up, tell them your goals, and have them put together a package for you? Most likely they will get you into some springs and Stop-the-Hop kit to control the IRS. Or you can call BMR and they will recommend some springs and IRS kit of their own. If you just want a small drop the BMR SP763 is popular at about the same spring rates as PP1 cars have stock.

If you aren't happy with your Steeda's the FRPP street kit is a good one but many people recommend going up to the FRPP Track Kit even for the street-

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-mustang-track-handling-pack-p-7431.html

Last edited:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've gotten a lot of good advice from members here and so here is where I am at.
I have a 2015 Mustang GT auto. 355 gears, Magnuson supercharger. Now at somewhere north of 600rwhp likely. I have the Steeda pro-action shocks and struts. Stock springs and anti-sway bars. The car drives good and am adding the red Brembos and PP 1 wheels.
I have put on the Tokico adjustable shocks/struts with Ford "p" lowering springs on 2 of my previous S197 cars and absolutely loved it. I was trying to avoid lowering this car, but am now looking at this kit from Levittown and changing the entire car to a PP1 type vehicle. Here is the kit:

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/ford-performance-mustang-street-handling-pack-p-7441.html

Would I be better just to change springs out? Or, is the Ford Performance Street kit a good all around kit? I know I'm kinda vague. I like to drag race but like good handling. Decent ride. Not a die hard either way, just a bit more control and improved ride quality. Trying to avoid too low of a car due to getting in and out and bad roads.
What's the car not doing that you want? IRS control is one of the big things to do that makes a significant improvement. You already have better dampers than that street package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
What's the car not doing that you want? IRS control is one of the big things to do that makes a significant improvement. You already have better dampers than that street package.
I feel the Steeda Pro-action dampers and stock GT springs do not compliment each other. The Pro-actions are an improvement over the stock GT, but the car seems to need better springs somehow. I know this is vague. As though the damping comes on quicker than the spring resistence. So, would a firmer spring help? I have also had the Ford Racing Track sway bars on this setup and they do not work well. I need a package like setup so the parts work together.
I am willing just to do the springs with the Pro-actions if they work well together. I think I went about this the wrong way and should have done a complete kit. I was so anal about not lowering the car.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If you want it to work well together, pick up a set of either Sport Linears or Progressives. You could also add a rear spring spacer to minimize the drop back there too, but each of these options will be about a 1" drop which should not cause any daily driving issues. I don't have to worry about the angle at which I'm approaching any speed bumps and I've cleared all parking stops that I've had to pull forward on.

If you still have the FP Track sway bars on the car, I would definitely suggest getting stiffer springs. Those bars are both adjustable, so try them both at full soft and go from there (after you get new springs).

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I feel the Steeda Pro-action dampers and stock GT springs do not compliment each other. The Pro-actions are an improvement over the stock GT, but the car seems to need better springs somehow. I know this is vague. As though the damping comes on quicker than the spring resistence. So, would a firmer spring help? I have also had the Ford Racing Track sway bars on this setup and they do not work well. I need a package like setup so the parts work together.
I am willing just to do the springs with the Pro-actions if they work well together. I think I went about this the wrong way and should have done a complete kit. I was so anal about not lowering the car.
Interesting.

I have a PP car, and kept the stock springs when I did all the suspension stuff in my sig line, and it works well with my car.

I would definitely suggest tightening up your IRS, it will kill all the wiggle from the back end, and wheel hop that drag racing seems to cause.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A firmer set of springs may help, but given that you don't have the adjustable dampers, not too much stiffer. For some lowering and your dampers, I'd probably go with the BMR SP763 springs. Those lower the car 7/8" front and 1/2" rear, with rates of 170/740 lb/in. This is known to be a great option for improved handling and quite similar ride to stock (except more composed).
Another option would be the Steeda Sport Linear and a 1/4" set of rear spring spacers. That would lower the car 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back, with spring rates of 200/800 lb/in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
A firmer set of springs may help, but given that you don't have the adjustable dampers, not too much stiffer. For some lowering and your dampers, I'd probably go with the BMR SP763 springs. Those lower the car 7/8" front and 1/2" rear, with rates of 170/740 lb/in. This is known to be a great option for improved handling and quite similar ride to stock (except more composed).
Another option would be the Steeda Sport Linear and a 1/4" set of rear spring spacers. That would lower the car 1" in the front and 1/2" in the back, with spring rates of 200/800 lb/in.
Thanks for the input. I spoke with Steeda today and Joe told me the adjustables are firmer on the softest setting than the non-adjustables. So, like you are saying, just changing the springs might help. The two numbers you quoted, is that F/R or something else. Do you know what the stock spring rates are? Thanks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input. I spoke with Steeda today and Joe told me the adjustables are firmer on the softest setting than the non-adjustables. So, like you are saying, just changing the springs might help. The two numbers you quoted, is that F/R or something else. Do you know what the stock spring rates are? Thanks.
Yes that's F/R. Stock is 160/668.

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The FR street is PP suspension with FR lowering springs.

I have the FR track suspension. It's really amazing on the street. And the 1" drop is hardly noticeable. Very minor. Here's my before/after pics.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/frpp-track-pack-suspension-install-review.103669/

I would keep those steeda parts and just add springs, rear vertical links and FR toe knuckles. Possibly sways too.
That drop definitely adds to the appearance! I am still ruminating! Benny at Levittown will sell the FR street kit for $862.50 with free shipping. I am kinda leaning this way because I am afraid to get different parts and try to make them work. I don't know what sway bars this kit has, but I'm thinking they will not be as firm as the FR track bars I had (which I sold).

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That drop definitely adds to the appearance! I am still ruminating! Benny at Levittown will sell the FR street kit for $862.50 with free shipping. I am kinda leaning this way because I am afraid to get different parts and try to make them work. I don't know what sway bars this kit has, but I'm thinking they will not be as firm as the FR track bars I had (which I sold).
Seriously don't bother with the street pack. You already have better shocks and struts than it has, and the bars it comes with are stock PP bars. Get some better matched springs and you'll enjoy it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Add Swift Spec R springs. Not much lower but they pair great with the Steeda shocks. I've had the combo myself. Was an excellent all-rounder package and the drop, at least on my car, which likes to sit lower in the rear wheel gap-wise, was spot on. I was very happy with the combo, just the springs weren't stiff enough for my track activity/driving style so I went with Steeda Dual Rates, which are also great (but wouldn't be my first choice for a street car unless you're targeting ultimate handling and willing to suck up some hard-edge bumps with some more stiffness (so to speak) than your average street car would be set to. With the Dual Rates, shocks set to soft, it's very streetable, but only get those if you're going on a road course or are God's gift to mountain roads.
Sponsored