Sponsored

Light weight battery.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If this is a track thing then start car. Remove battery. When done reconnect battery. Deal with any issues after that. That’s my guess but would that work in today’s car? :lol:
I don't know for sure, but I will bet if there's no battery in the circuit the car is going to shut off, and if it doesn't there's going to be something funky going on. Alternators aren't self exciting, so I think things would come to a halt quickly. But again, I've never tried it, I'm thinking expensive errors could occur, like alternator diodes blowing and it's not worth screwing about with that.

I'm not buying a Braille lithium battery, I'm buying a Braille AGM. You sacrifice a couple of pounds to lithium, but it is much cheaper and AGM technology has been around for a long time now so there should be no issues. I plan on using mine only at the track, and will put the stock battery back in after the track day ends. I just want one with enough amps to restart the engine if I happen to loop it and kill the engine, they have a 537 PCA one weighing 6 lbs or so that I am told will start a hot Coyote without a problem and I believe it's $170 or so.
Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I mean if you are really desperate to the point of getting a lightweight battery, may I suggest losing some weight on your person?

OP
OP
armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I don't know for sure, but I will bet if there's no battery in the circuit the car is going to shut off, and if it doesn't there's going to be something funky going on. Alternators aren't self exciting, so I think things would come to a halt quickly. But again, I've never tried it, I'm thinking expensive errors could occur, like alternator diodes blowing and it's not worth screwing about with that.

I'm not buying a Braille lithium battery, I'm buying a Braille AGM. You sacrifice a couple of pounds to lithium, but it is much cheaper and AGM technology has been around for a long time now so there should be no issues. I plan on using mine only at the track, and will put the stock battery back in after the track day ends. I just want one with enough amps to restart the engine if I happen to loop it and kill the engine, they have a 537 PCA one weighing 6 lbs or so that I am told will start a hot Coyote without a problem and I believe it's $170 or so.
The one I ordered is 160lbs. The smallest Braille battery I'd trust in our cars is the 11.5lb one. But I saw a few posts on BMW and corvette forums where people had issues.

I mean if you are really desperate to the point of getting a lightweight battery, may I suggest losing some weight on your person?
So what if I'm fat? I'm actually losing weight (for racing and personal reasons lol). But taking weight off the front will help the weight transfer a lot.

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Many folks subscribe to the, every lb or even ounce, counts. Especially for NA cars. A light weight battery is a no brainer, simple mod, compared to most.

For you guys running lithium, go check out the All Motor Coyotes FB page. They discuss possible tune adjustments to run them, adjusting alternator charging rates I think to prevent the lithium batteries from swelling.

And you'll see all sorts of other weight loss discussions there. Those guys are serious.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Many folks subscribe to the, every lb or even ounce, counts. Especially for NA cars. A light weight battery is a no brainer, simple mod, compared to most.

For you guys running lithium, go check out the All Motor Coyotes FB page. They discuss possible tune adjustments to run them, adjusting alternator charging rates I think to prevent the lithium batteries from swelling.

And you'll see all sorts of other weight loss discussions there. Those guys are serious.

I put in a request to that group. I'm not gonna go crazy on the weight savings yet. Locals bitch if you pull seats out or shit like that. I'm sticking to mostly unnoticeable things for the moment. K brace, sway bar, the battery etc. None permanent modifications. I'm even thinking about getting some regular GT shocks to help with the weight transfer.

Sponsored

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what if I'm fat? I'm actually losing weight (for racing and personal reasons lol). But taking weight off the front will help the weight transfer a lot.
Haha well at least you are trying there is that. Did you take out your back seats at least? I see you didn't there is a lot of weight there. Maybe a carbon fiber hood hell take off the hood.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Haha well at least you are trying there is that. Did you take out your back seats at least? I see you didn't there is a lot of weight there. Maybe a carbon fiber hood hell take off the hood.
The cowl hood is too sexy to take off.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
27lbs of weight savings. Car fired right up. Resting voltage when I got the battery was 13v. I did 3 more "warm" starts with no issue. Gonna let the car sit for 4-5 days and see what happens. $165 total, between the battery and terminal adapters. Hopefully the longevity is there. If not, I'll step up to their 500cca battery.
FB_IMG_1517443637569.jpg

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car

I'm 6'1" and weigh 178 lbs. I don't need to lose no stinkin' weight!
:cheers:

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good weight I'm 6'1" and 145 lbs. Also known as a tooth pick.

Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
sub'd

Grim12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
27lbs of weight savings. Car fired right up. Resting voltage when I got the battery was 13v. I did 3 more "warm" starts with no issue. Gonna let the car sit for 4-5 days and see what happens. $165 total, between the battery and terminal adapters. Hopefully the longevity is there. If not, I'll step up to their 500cca battery.
How did you mount it?

Can you give the link for this specific battery?

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
That's a good weight I'm 6'1" and 145 lbs. Also known as a tooth pick.
I've been over 200 lbs my whole adult life. Left for Iraq at 205, got home at 225 lol. I couldn't imagine being 145 at my height of 6ft even...

How did you mount it?

Can you give the link for this specific battery?
WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery HJTX20H-FP-IL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DX89GM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_YX8CAbTV83EDB

I haven't properly mounted it yet. I'll probably tackle that this weekend.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I would just keep a mindful eye on it. A buddy of mine did not have good luck with a lithium battery in his newer challenger, it made quite the mess.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I would just keep a mindful eye on it. A buddy of mine did not have good luck with a lithium battery in his newer challenger, it made quite the mess.
Could you elaborate?
Sponsored