Sponsored

Lightweight Battery?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Unless you're tracking the car, you could just not top off your fuel tank to save weight. Gasoline weighs a tad over 6 lbs per gallon. So, put in 12 gallons instead of 16 and you'll save about 25 lbs of weight - for free! Sure, it's not off the front of the car, but there are other things you can do to remove some weight from the front of the car that are free:

Windshield wiper reservoir holds around a gallon, fill it only half full, bam, 4 lbs. saved
Remove the engine cover, 3.5 lbs saved
Remove the sound tube, 1.3 lbs
Remove the front floor mats (mostly weight off the front tires), about 3 lbs

Other free weight removal items:
Remove back seats: 31 lbs (mostly weight off the rear tires, but still, weight saved)

Combine those front end weight reduction mods with 4 less gallons in your tank, and you save about 37 lbs. Never fill more than half tank, and that jumps to 62 lbs savings off curb weight. Remove the rear seats, and you've saved 93 lbs. For free!

Anyway, if I had money to burn, then sure, I'd buy the Antigravity battery after enough research to make sure they are appropriate for the vehicle.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I’m going to put an anti gravity in my car this spring. 8 pounds. Looking to lighten things up. Without having To molest the interior.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Surprised no one mentioned Braille. I've been using a B2015 for a couple of years, saves 20 lbs, easy to mount in the stock battery location and it is AGM so standard battery tech with none of the lithium battery issues. For track cars only though, the parasitic load from these cars will flatten these little batteries just sitting for 2 days.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Are there any good lightweight batteries that are "plug and play" with the existing battery holder, cables, etc? It seems like most of them need semi-custom installation, with special brackets, tiedowns, tray, etc.

As much incentive as there is to reduce weight on cars, I'm surprised they haven't started to offer lightweight batteries as a factory option.
Antigravity now has OEM sized batteries but they're expensive: https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h5-rs/

I relocated my small battery (less than 5 lbs) back into the OEM battery box using a generic tiedowns from O'Reilly's because local track techs weren't happy with it in the passenger side firewall area (passed the tech first two times).

I can think of a few reasons why LiON batteries are used in most cars:

1. Expensive
2. They don't do well in extreme heat and cold environments
3. Lower amp hours
4. Need to disable smart charging for batteries with on board batter management.

20190622_172043.jpg

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Antigravity now has OEM sized batteries but they're expensive: https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/starter-batteries/automotive/ag-h5-rs/

I relocated my small battery (less than 5 lbs) back into the OEM battery box using a generic tiedowns from O'Reilly's because local track techs weren't happy with it in the passenger side firewall area (passed the tech first two times).

I can think of a few reasons why LiON batteries are used in most cars:

1. Expensive
2. They don't do well in extreme heat and cold environments
3. Lower amp hours
4. Need to disable smart charging for batteries with on board batter management.

20190622_172043.jpg
I know this is an older thread but really like your solution. Do you happen to have this set up still? How did it hold up since install?

Got another pic of it? Thanks man and looks great (and way more appealing than the other kits out there).

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I know this is an older thread but really like your solution. Do you happen to have this set up still? How did it hold up since install?

Got another pic of it? Thanks man and looks great (and way more appealing than the other kits out there).
It's been working great since I turned smart charging off via Forscan. We've been seeing highs of over 100 degrees in the Phoenix metro area and no issues so far starting the car during middle of the day. One thing I noticed is that during the peak winter season where nightly temperature got close to freezing, it struggled a little bit to start the car and we are talking about a lower compression 4 banger here. So keep this in mind if you live in a cold climate and don't store the car for the winter.

Picture in the quote is how I'm running it now. Below is when I had the battery by the passenger size firewall when I thought the battery couldn't handle the engine bay heat during the summer. Let me know if you're looking for a particular picture.

IMG_3094.JPG
Sponsored