Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
I'm debating on a battery relocation or doing a lightweight battery. I'm looking at the Deka ETX18L or the Braille B14115. The specs are very similar, with the Braille being roughly 3 lbs lbs lighter. Is the price difference really worth it? Already saving roughly 16lbs with the Deka. The battery relocation will help with weight transfer, but still be similar in price to the Deka battery and more simple.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
There is a pile of weight added with the battery relocation to the trunk. You need a long chunk of at least 4 gauge cable, and that stuff is heavy. You've moving weight to a better place perhaps, but not losing any. I plan on going with a Braille AGM battery, cost vs weight reduction it seems to the most practical option.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Anybody have any experience with those lightweight batteries in cold climates? If it can't handle -30* F for a week, it's no good to me.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I'm interested in one of these as well. Time to start doing some homework. Blue Moon, nice color scheme and other stuff you got going there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
OEM Battery: 31.31lbs
Deka ETX18: 17.67lbs
Braille B14115: 11.5lbs

Race Day Battery:
Anti-Gravity YTX12-24: 5lbs
Anti-Gravity YTX12-20: 4.5lbs
Anti-Gravity YTX12-16: 4lbs
Deka is 15lbs according to various websites.

There is a pile of weight added with the battery relocation to the trunk. You need a long chunk of at least 4 gauge cable, and that stuff is heavy. You've moving weight to a better place perhaps, but not losing any. I plan on going with a Braille AGM battery, cost vs weight reduction it seems to the most practical option.
That's what I was looking at too. I was going to run 0ga and that would have been 20lbs by itself. CCA would be lighter but I'm not running that for my primary starting source.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If this is a track thing then start car. Remove battery. When done reconnect battery. Deal with any issues after that. That’s my guess but would that work in today’s car? :lol:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
After more research, I've decided against the Braille battery. Reading several posts about failures and them over rating their batteries.

I came across a company that primarily makes motorcycle and atv batteries, called western power sports. They seem to have very good reviews and fantastic prices. So I ordered their HJTX20H-FP-IL which is a lithium battery supposedly having 420CCA and just being shy 4lbs. I also ordered some M6 top post terminal adapters.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I ran a Braille 9lb battery for 2 months in the fall daily driving with no issues. Just have to be smart with it, no extended key on times, not too many short drives, etc.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I ran a Braille 9lb battery for 2 months in the fall daily driving with no issues. Just have to be smart with it, no extended key on times, not too many short drives, etc.
There's was a good number of people not having issues. But for the same price, more cold cranking amps and being 6lbs lighter than the Braille I figured it's worth a shot.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
There's was a good number of people not having issues. But for the same price, more cold cranking amps and being 6lbs lighter than the Braille I figured it's worth a shot.
Yeah, I was worried about the lithium ion and having the alternator is why I went with the Braille. I have a anti-gravity 16v in my Duster and it is amazing at 5lbs it starts it and runs it better than the 54lb AGM 16v it replaced.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Yeah, I was worried about the lithium ion and having the alternator is why I went with the Braille. I have a anti-gravity 16v in my Duster and it is amazing at 5lbs it starts it and runs it better than the 54lb AGM 16v it replaced.
That's what I was looking at. The western powersports brand can be used with a regular battery charger and typical automotive use. Lithium batteries used to be sketchy with automotive use.
Sponsored