Sponsored

Leave top unlocked or locked while opening?

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
When you twist the handle to unlock the top, do you leave it in the unlocked position while it is down or do you pause the top opening, twist the handle to the locked position and then continue to open the top?
Reason I ask is that if it is left unlocked while fully opening, the handle remains hanging down and the roof lock ā€œhooksā€ remain exposed possibly damaging the top over time(?)
Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
It has been mentioned on here before somewhere Iā€™m not sure, maybe @JohnDoe but itā€™s all good man. Lock, unlock. It doesnā€™t hurt a thing. I used to lock it and now I leave it unlocked.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Doesnā€™t matter, but the manual only says to unlatch, then operate switch, which is what I have been doing without any issues.

OP
OP
Ho Lee Chit

Ho Lee Chit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Ragtop
This question came up among a few of us at a meet awhile ago while we were ā€˜not feeling any painā€™. :beer:Thought I would bring it up here to see what peopleā€™s thoughts are.

Last edited:

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Probably a holdover from earlier convertible top designs where the latches face up with the top folded. Putting the latches in the locked position would retract the hooks so they didnt stick out as much. Nothing comparable on the S550 top design.
Sponsored