Least expensive wheels for PP2

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
As others said - all 19"+ S550 wheels will fit - PP2 is identical dimensionally as PP1. I have '15 "Premium Wheels" for 255/40 19 set of Contis DWS06.
OEM PP2 wheel offsets are driven only by the wide wheel / tire combo fit.
I never said they wouldn't fit. I did say that they would affect wheel track width and possibly handling. I entered the OEM PP1(green) and PP2(orange) into a tire calculator to show and calculate the differences in placement of a PP1 vs a PP2 rear wheel.
I entered
PP1: 275/40R19 19x9.5 +52.5
PP2: 305/30R19 19x11 +48

A picture is worth a thousand words.... They show that the PP2 wheel will have a wider track width with OEM vs PP1 wheels. the outset and inset differences show that the centerline will be displaced from PP2 stock.

PP1 vPP2 fitment.jpg

I found a good thread that someone discusses the affects or changing wheel track width(https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/104856-Any-drawbacks-to-widening-track-width).

The next question is if the changes the PP1 make vs the PP2 will change the wheel track width as well and by how much and if the differential is maintained or changed. I suspect, the differential from front to back is different on PP1 vs PP2 when a PP2 wears PP1 wheels.

I don't know if I can call it a rule,
because there are cars that run the track width difference greater than 1". But I find the car rolls unevenly when we do ... so I don't.

If the front track width is significantly narrower than the rear, the car rolls more onto the outside front tire on corner entry. This plants that tire harder & frankly reduces the load & grip on the outside rear tire. This is a good tuning tool to free up the entry & middle ... like all things ... to a degree. If you go to far, it's hard to keep the car from being loose on corner entry just after initial turn in. I find the things we have to do to fix the entry, end up hurting the car in the middle roll-through-zone making it tight or pushy.

If the front track width is significantly wider than the rear, the car rolls more onto the outside rear tire on corner entry. This plants that tire harder & frankly reduces the load & grip on the outside front tire. This is a good tuning tool to tighten & grip up the entry & middle ... like all things ... to a degree. If you go to far, it's hard to keep the car from pushing on corner entry just after initial turn in ... and it really wants to push in middle roll-through-zone.

So like most tuning strategies, it works ... but running too much track width difference either direction can have negative effects. Then you have to "tune around" these effects ... which is sometimes easy to do & sometimes harder than Chinese arithmetic. Whether the car is IRS or solid axle in inconsequential.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mustang5o

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I never said they wouldn't fit. I did say that they would affect wheel track width and possibly handling. I entered the OEM PP1(green) and PP2(orange) into a tire calculator to show and calculate the differences in placement of a PP1 vs a PP2 rear wheel.
I entered
PP1: 275/40R19 19x9.5 +52.5
PP2: 305/30R19 19x11 +48

A picture is worth a thousand words.... They show that the PP2 wheel will have a wider track width with OEM vs PP1 wheels. the outset and inset differences show that the centerline will be displaced from PP2 stock.

I found a good thread that someone discusses the affects or changing wheel track width(https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/104856-Any-drawbacks-to-widening-track-width).

The next question is if the changes the PP1 make vs the PP2 will change the wheel track width as well and by how much and if the differential is maintained or changed. I suspect, the differential from front to back is different on PP1 vs PP2 when a PP2 wears PP1 wheels.
Cool calculator. Where did you find that?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're overthinking it for the math when you're looking at getting winter tires for your car. Yes, it will have a different track width and the handling will be affected as well, but that's already destroyed when you go from high performance summer tires to winter tires. You won't be able to push your car anywhere near what you can now.

PP2 setup is meant for enhanced performance around a round course, you're not pushing that on winter tires. Pick a setup that looks okay, fits, and doesn't hit anywhere then get a relaxed alignment that can be good throughout winter. When spring/summer comes back, you load back on your good setup and get the alignment back to where it should be and enjoy yourself.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
^^^^ exactly. I get the track difference, but in the context of getting winter wheels where you so far away from traction limit (and majority of the people most of the time are very far away - winter / summer / whatever), this is completely irrelevant.
For the record my track with square setup and different size rear tire is obviously changed. Guess how much it matters.... So cool pics and all, but why.... ;-)

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Why make the car squirrelly when conditions result in lack of traction?

If a set of PP1 wheels makes the track difference less stable, why do it when you have less traction and make the car more prone to spin out?

Why be the next video of a Mustang spinning out ?

Is it really that hard to just buy rims with 24 and 48 offset for your PP2 in the size you want?

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
You're going to be throwing salt, snow, and general slushy mess all over your car if you stick with PP2 offset wheels. They already stick out beyond the fenders and it's just unnecessary for a set of winter wheels. Your car won't be squirrelly with a proper alignment and driven responsibly for the conditions.

You're free to spend your money how you want, but winter tires are going to kill any semblance of handling similar to what you've got right now so give up that idea.

@Bluemustang @BmacIL what do you guys do for winter setups up there? I'd say your setups are just as (probably much more) capable than the PP2 and you run high performance tires too.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend using the black accent or other 19x8.5" premium OEM wheels (they fit over the Brembos) with 245/45R19 winter tires. The S197 TP wheels would also work. You don't need wide wheels in winter, and they are actually a detriment to moving through snow.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would recommend using the black accent or other 19x8.5" premium OEM wheels (they fit over the Brembos) with 245/45R19 winter tires. The S197 TP wheels would also work. You don't need wide wheels in winter, and they are actually a detriment to moving through snow.
I entered a 245/40R19 tire on 19x8.5 rims to compare to the stock tire into the tire calculator.

Now, if you keep the same 48mm offset in the rear, using a 19x8.5 +48, these tires will sit 1.25" into the wheel well. The track width would remain unchanged (outset and inset are equal).

The same would be true if you got a 19x8.5 +24mm for the front.

Also, going with a 40 series tire(245/40R19) instead of the suggested 45 series (245/45R19) would keep the circumference difference under the desired 3% so that the speedometer is minimally affected (60mph dash reading would actually be 58.9). Going to the 45 series on a PP2, would result in a 5.3% difference in speedometer. A reading of 60 mph would actually be 56.8mph.

Of course, you can always have your speedo adjusted.

305 vs 245 tire.jpg

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I entered a 245/40R19 tire on 19x8.5 rims to compare to the stock tire into the tire calculator.

Now, if you keep the same 48mm offset in the rear, using a 19x8.5 +48,
They're all (the wheels BmacIL mentioned) ET +45mm.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a 245/40 tire would be better in terms of less deviation from the stock diameter. Those PP2 tires are quite a bit smaller in diameter than most stock tires. Like the others, I don't believe using different offsets than the stock PP2 would cause "squirrelly" handling in normal winter driving.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Now, if you keep the same 48mm offset in the rear, using a 19x8.5 +48, these tires will sit 1.25" into the wheel well. The track width would remain unchanged (outset and inset are equal).

The same would be true if you got a 19x8.5 +24mm for the front.

Also, going with a 40 series tire(245/40R19) instead of the suggested 45 series (245/45R19) would keep the circumference difference under the desired 3% so that the speedometer is minimally affected (60mph dash reading would actually be 58.9). Going to the 45 series on a PP2, would result in a 5.3% difference in speedometer. A reading of 60 mph would actually be 56.8mph.

Of course, you can always have your speedo adjusted.

305 vs 245 tire.jpg
For winter, sacrifice a little idealism on speedo for ground clearance. Kinda the whole point of putting on snow tires is to ensure capability in snow, no?

And you've got it backwards: with the 245/45R19 you'd actually be going 60 mph when it indicates 57.