Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this today. I couldn't see it in the garage so I'm not sure how long. I just happened to be looking at it with a friend outside today.

This is the turbo side of my 2020 Ecoboost. The oil cap and stick are on the other side. It appears to be all over that side. Nothing much heavier than a film. It doesn't appear I've lost much if any oil in 2.5k miles. I need to look a little closer at what I'm looking at. I'm not familiar with this block yet.

Anyone know about a known issue like this. Luckily I'm under warranty, but kind of surprised.

20210518_162331~2.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just found this today. I couldn't see it in the garage so I'm not sure how long. I just happened to be looking at it with a friend outside today.

This is the turbo side of my 2020 Ecoboost. The oil cap and stick are on the other side. It appears to be all over that side. Nothing much heavier than a film. It doesn't appear I've lost much if any oil in 2.5k miles. I need to look a little closer at what I'm looking at. I'm not familiar with this block yet.

Anyone know about a known issue like this. Luckily I'm under warranty, but kind of surprised.

20210518_162331~2.jpg
There was a similar leak on the early 2015-2016 EB's. IIRC, I think it's due to 1 or more of the bolts in your image that go through the front timing cover. There was a TSB for the 2015-2016's where the fix was to pull the bolts and apply thread sealer and re-torque to spec.

Take it back to Ford Service Center, it's under warranty and will be repaired free of charge.

Last edited:

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Yeah ford is hit or miss with front timing cover sealing quality. Spans many models. Unfortunately more common than it should be.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I'll need to schedule dropping my car off soon. I have a couple other concerns while I still have bumper to bumper warranty. My transmission really likes to hang up in 1st gear on anything higher than Sport mode. Even when gently tapping the throttle. Something in the rear suspension like to squeak and I need to get an alignment. When I got new wheels I noticed one of the old ones had a lot more wear than the other 3. Maybe I'll drop it off while on vacation.

Deleted member 35644

My transmission really likes to hang up in 1st gear on anything higher than Sport mode.
I think this may be a normal Sport-mode behavior. I always assumed it was programmed that way as an effort to 'anticipate' that you want to slow down, so it gives you some compression braking as if you're on the track. Mine did it consistently, even 'tapping the pedal' driving slowly through parking lots, etc. If it's refusing to upshift while you've got the go-pedal mashed, then that is an issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think this may be a normal Sport-mode behavior. I always assumed it was programmed that way as an effort to 'anticipate' that you want to slow down, so it gives you some compression braking as if you're on the track. Mine did it consistently, even 'tapping the pedal' driving slowly through parking lots, etc. If it's refusing to upshift while you've got the go-pedal mashed, then that is an issue.
That's what I meant. I leave from a stop sign with barely any pedal and it still wants to stay in 1st gear. Then it kind of lurches in to 2nd. Take off looking like a can't drive a stick and its manual, lol.

Deleted member 35644

That's what I meant. I leave from a stop sign with barely any pedal and it still wants to stay in 1st gear. Then it kind of lurches in to 2nd. Take off looking like a can't drive a stick and its manual, lol.
It won't upshift until it reaches 2500 or 3000 (can't remember which) rpms. So if you're creeping up to that rpm, and it's achieved, it upshifts, and can be kinda 'harsh' when in sport mode. Sport mode firms up shifts by design.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning

20210518_162331~2.jpg
Looks like you might need to make a trip to the dealer. Hopefully you're under warranty. I've seen this before on these cars so it's not abnormal.

Bigstang16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Diego
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red EB

20210518_162331~2.jpg
My 16 had this same issue, took it to the dealership and they replaced the timing cover gasket and something else I forget but they forgot to readjust the timing correctly and so that ended up burning out my cats. In any case all replaced under warranty.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Ditto, it's not uncommon. I had the same leak on my 2016. Luckily, killed 2 birds with 1 stone as they ended up replacing the block due to another common issue: head gasket.
Sponsored