Koni is here!

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I haven't installed these, but judging by the fact that you have to drill out the top mount, the shaft on the shock is bigger, so either grease up the bump stop and try harder, or enlarge the hole.
I tried some lithium grease, and that helped a little bit, but it still got stuck. Perhaps I'll adjust the shock to its stiffest setting so it wont compress as I'm trying to slide the bump stop down.

I'll also need to get a bigger drill bit. I tried using a spade bit to enlarge the hole, and it wasn't making much of a difference.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Off the top of my head, maybe just cut some slits in the leading hole to open it up a little to get it started then use the man-hands? Sorry, I'm at work, just bouncing stuff around in my head.
That might work, I'll have to try that when I get home later. :cheers:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I do not remember having much difficulty getting the bump stops on the koni rods, but then I had the factory bump stops.

Any cutting may have side effects, so I'd say just force em on.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
I came back to them today, and they slid on without a problem. Still took some effort, but they went on fairly easy. Dunno why I was having so much difficulty yesterday.

Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Bought some Koni sports four years ago for our 01 Prelude. Needed to cut the stock bump-stop nearly in half and enlarge the hole for the Koni shaft. the enlargement was easy. Mounted a drill to my bench, chucked up the correct size bit and fired it up. Was easy to run the bump-stop over the bit to enlarge the hole.

With that said, not as happy with the Koni's as I thought I'd be. Needed to set the dampers to full stiff on the front and more than half-way stiff on the rears. Still hits the stops on fronts; unsettles the car when on course. I've had better luck with Bilstein nonadjustables. Bilstein needs to provide an option for the S550. Or I my go with the KW V1s.; not going with Konis again.

Last edited:

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Konis installed all the way around now. Install was easy and took about 3 hours total both front and back.

Have not driven it though.

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
Bilstein needs to provide an option for the S550.
Totally agree gtracer, and I guess you are referring to coilovers? Bilstein are taking their time and are really putting in some serious R&D before they release their product. I know for a fact that their coilover kits are soon to be released however they are expensive and not for the faint hearted. If you want Bilstein contact your local distributer (Bilstein that is) and put down a deposit.