Sponsored

KN air filter in stock air box

Brokestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Project farm on YouTube has a good test on aftermarket intake filters & shows what k&n filters do.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Project farm on YouTube has a good test on aftermarket intake filters & shows what k&n filters do.
Start about 17:20 and he explains how the gauze or K and N filter works.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Start about 17:20 and he explains how the gauze or K and N filter works.

Interesting. But it's one man's story, with no facts or science backing it.

He could be correct, he could be wrong/lying. Dunno.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
In the beginning he gives his credentials.

I don't know if he is correct or not. I have been using K&N filters for 40 years, never had an engine die due to poor filtration.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of people do this. There's not a huge amount to be gained, but most people are happy. I personally prefer the "dry" style filters though, like aFe/Airraid/AEM.

Just keep in mind, there's no free lunch. Increased flow through the same surface area of filter means less filtration. So if you live in a dusty environment it's probably not worth it.
K&N have both ........

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have been using K&N filters for 40 years, never had an engine die due to poor filtration.
You could have had the same results with OEM filters, following proper service intervals.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You could have had the same results with OEM filters, following proper service intervals.
The OP asked about K&N filters, not paper. Just because you don't like them doesn't make it a bad filter.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Read this article. A dyno test showed a 19HP increase by only adding a K&N filter to a 2015-17 Mustang GT. I put one on my 2016 Mustang GT, but have no way of knowing if it made it any faster. It feels fast.

https://motoiq.com/tested-ford-mustang-gt-power-packs-1-3/3/
That’s with a power pack that also comes with a calibration and procal device. You need the calibration to get the power boost, just dropping the filter in will not give that kind of increase

Sponsored

S550IngotGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 6 Speed 3.55s Red Leather
No. If you read page 3 carefully, you will see they tested the K&N separately without the PP first.

Wording from article...
The K&N drop-in panel filter picked up 7.37whp at 6,500rpm and 7.28lb-ft of torque at 4,000rpm. The K&N air filter filled in the stock Mustang’s factory torque dip between 4,000-5,400rpm with an average increase of 12whp and a maximum gain of 19.14whp and 18.61lb-ft of torque at 5,400rpm.

A peak gain of 7whp/tq and a maximum gain of 19whp is a massive increase for the price of a $55 air filter and a 10-second install. Since we didn’t pick up the 13-23whp peak gains that we saw in our M3, Viper, and IS-F, this leads us to believe Ford’s OEM air filter design, layout, and airbox is far more efficient and better engineered since the gain wasn’t as big.

Now that we saw the improvement from the air filter, we were very interested in seeing how much more Ford’s proprietary calibration would do to the 5.0L Coyote V8 since there’s now only 6HP to be gained based off of Ford’s 13HP claimed increase from PP1.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
No. If you read page 3 carefully, you will see they tested the K&N separately without the PP first.

Wording from article...
The K&N drop-in panel filter picked up 7.37whp at 6,500rpm and 7.28lb-ft of torque at 4,000rpm. The K&N air filter filled in the stock Mustang’s factory torque dip between 4,000-5,400rpm with an average increase of 12whp and a maximum gain of 19.14whp and 18.61lb-ft of torque at 5,400rpm.

A peak gain of 7whp/tq and a maximum gain of 19whp is a massive increase for the price of a $55 air filter and a 10-second install. Since we didn’t pick up the 13-23whp peak gains that we saw in our M3, Viper, and IS-F, this leads us to believe Ford’s OEM air filter design, layout, and airbox is far more efficient and better engineered since the gain wasn’t as big.

Now that we saw the improvement from the air filter, we were very interested in seeing how much more Ford’s proprietary calibration would do to the 5.0L Coyote V8 since there’s now only 6HP to be gained based off of Ford’s 13HP claimed increase from PP1.
Numbers don’t lie I suppose. They still do a good amount of filtering so I would’ve guessed a couple HP at most. In any event 7whp won’t be felt but that is interesting. I always bought them so I wasn’t buying new filters and throwing old ones away. Just as easy to clean a K&N (and now Green Filter) and drop it back in.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I've read that over oiling those filters can cause MAF sensor issues. Any truth in that?
That's why I use the dry style reusable filters. I have the ford performance blue filter on my mach 1 and the original paper filter in the box for when I clean the blue one. I had this filter since 2107 and it was on my 17 vert with the ford racing power pack 2. I clean it every 10K miles and It still looks good. I think Airaid makes it.

The OP asked about the filter only, not the CAI or if your going boosted and other crap.

My personal opinion, the filter does little to nothing for a hp gain, but that is not why I bought one. I bought one simply so I can clean it and reuse it over and over again. I'm not concerned about price, but in the end the reusable style filters like a K&N are cheaper over the life of the car. You just have to properly clean and oil it so you don't ruin the filter.

jcttraveler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Convertible 2019
I used a K&N filter. I intend to keep the car, so thought the math would work for me over disposable filters.
Sponsored